Is this what happened to you guys who used to feed Mazuri?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maia - If you order there in Ohio, Ryerson's sell by the pound, it will be milled in Ohio. There are some people from out of state who sell it, but it doesn't make a lot of sense to buy it from others if you have it right there. In fact, depending on where you are, you may be able to just go buy a bag somewhere locally and donate the leftover to a rescue or sell it yourself.

QT - As Tara said - you can go cold turkey if you are having an issue, and if it was me, I would switch everybody. It's too much hassle to keep different foods around. Unless there would be a specific reason for keeping them on the old food (drastic weight loss, etc.) I would pick one food and stay with it for everybody.

Thanks guys! Going to petsmart by Kohls tomorrow:) it'sgreat you can tell me exactly where! Do you know if there are any other places around that sells it cheaper? I found the Mazuri at a pet supply place for super cheap...compared to petsmart prices anyway.

This is what I sent to Purina last December. I did not experience soft poo. Just weight loss. ( FYI :There is also a note about PANR that has nothing to do with Mazuri feed)

My question or request is...
Two things. My herd of 14 chinchilla's lost significant weight using Mazuri over the summer. I have used this feed for years at my small hobby breeding ranch.I have access to the 25 pound bags with fresh mill dates and being kept in a climate controlled environment. Something has caused each animal to drop gram weight in various degrees with all 14 animals despite eating the feed. So I've had to change my feed diet and order directly from a chinchilla ranch in Ohio who mills feed just for them. Many in the pet/breeder/hobby rancher use PANR rabbit and you changed it without informing the public. Many folks are scrambling trying to buy up the last PANR before switching to "Show." Here is a link to our chinchilla forum and their desperation. http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showthread.php?t=10890

And this was the response:
Thanks for your inquiry about Mazuri Chinchilla diet. In response to your questions about changes in the diet, I can tell you that we have only made one change to the diet in the last several years. In March 2008, we changed the source of vitamin E to the natural source, which is more available to animals. There is certainly inherent ingredient variation over the years - one years crop of soybean meal may be slightly different from the next. But, we test all of our incoming ingredients for nutrient levels (and make sure there are no toxins) prior to using in our formulations, so the overall nutrition is the same in every batch of feed we make.

Are your animals receiving any other supplemental food items? Hay? Did anything else change- like bedding, water etc..? While the animals were losing weight, did you notice a change in feed intake?

Thanks for your interest in Mazuri, and please let me know if you have any additional questions.

Sincerely,

Liz Koutsos, Ph.D.
Nutrition and Technical Services
Mazuri Exotic Animal Nutrition (www.mazuri.com)

Last note: I switched to Shoots Chinchilla Pellets January 2010. I have no problems. While feeding Mazuri my animals received a raisin or oats. They have a variety of grass and first/second cut hays, no water or bedding changes, no changes in feed intake while eating Mazuri.

Latest posts

Back