Is this what happened to you guys who used to feed Mazuri?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Maia

Forever Weird
So for the past 3 days Sebastian has has soft poops. They come out normally formed and don't have any nasty smell or anything, but he steps on them and they squish.
I was wondering if this is what happened to make some of you switch from Mazuri? Also last week or so he stopped eating his hay cubes and I had to go out and get him loose hay on Monday. So maybe lack of fiber?
I also got some acidophilus (sp?) yesterday and sprinkled in his food. It didn't want to stick to a shreddie.

YES, that is exactly what happened with some of my chins are Mazuri. They were soft and then stepped on and squished causing a mess on the shelves. I switched to Nutrena Rabbit Feed two years ago and I have not had a single incident of soft poos since. Plus my chins eat more of this feed. They used to have a lot of half eaten pellets and "dust" with Mazuri

Ditto with my 2 older boys. When I first got them, I switched them over to Mazuri but after the soft poo and waste of pellets, I switched them over to Oxbow. i have not had any issues of soft poo since then.

i really never had a problem with mazuri, although i did switch to the purina rabbit show chow.

the acidolpholous may have affected their poop also. i always try to be consistant with my treats. i tried something new last week and 1 of 10 of my boys got soft poop. so now i know........NO dried papaya for Jack. it was only the size of a pencil eraser and it was the first time i every tried it.
thier digestive tracks are so sensitive, that any change could affect them. and yet the other 9 were fine.
i just wouldnt immediately "blame" the mazuri. i would keep track of all treats and if they are JUST on feed, hay & water and you still get the softer poop, than i would consider switching.

One of my 4 guys has had soft poop since Sunday night. Longer than usual too. He's acting normal, and it isn't running, just squished if stepped on. I also feed Mazuri. They've been on it for MONTHS with no problem, so would it just happen suddently like that? I fed them their fist Cheerio last week. Also tried the O.F. Oats. He LOVED both. Could that be the problem? But it wasn't until Sunday when he started havin squishy poo.

I've noticed the dust in the mazuri also. It's here locally. It's what my breeder said to get, so I'm not sure if anything else is here...my first 2 were on petsmart food, w all the stuff in it (before I knew anything) and one of my guys had extremely runny poo. Constantly just coming out...poor gy. He's fine now. Thank God!

Yep, me too. Soft, squishy poos and I switched to PANR, now PRCS, and no more soft poos AND they gained some weight, too!!!

Ayup - and it came out of the blue. They were fine on it for a few months, then everybody got squishy poop. After I switched to Tradition, it cleared right up.

Well poo! Literally. How do I find out what's here? You guys all talk about different stuff& it's overwhelming with the choices! Also, so I slowly mix in?...once I find something. Should I take the food out of his cage and only give hay until I get something new? That's what I was told to do last time.

Tradition, eh? I have heard good things about that. And I believe it's also much cheaper than Mazuri. I'll have to order some!

You know the worst part? I JUST a few days ago ordered 5 lbs of Mazuri!! ARRGGHH! :thinking2:

1/4 new, 3/4 old
1/2 new, 1/2 old
3/4 new, 1/4 old
Complete switch.

That's how it's usually done for a feed switch.

If the Mazuri is working for you, there's no need to switch QT. Some chins do well on it, others do not. If you want to switch the better feeds are

Tradition
Oxbow
APD
Nutrena Naturewise 16% Rabbit
Manna Sho Pro Rabbit
And I can never remember the Purina one, I think it's Purina Show Chow?

Maia - The best results I ever had with chins was when they were on Tradition milled in Ohio. I didn't have problems until I had it milled in Minnesota.

Could the Cherrio from last week just now be giving him soft poop? That's been the only change.

No, one cheerio would not affect him a week later. It should have already worked out of his system and moved on.

Tradition, eh? I have heard good things about that. And I believe it's also much cheaper than Mazuri. I'll have to order some!

You know the worst part? I JUST a few days ago ordered 5 lbs of Mazuri!! ARRGGHH! :thinking2:

If you end up switching, you could see if there is a shelter or something you could donate the Mazuri to, or I found out that the squirrels loved it when I gave it to them in their feeders.

How do you know where a feed was milled if you order online?

Ok thanks Tunes! Then it has to be the Mazuri. Should I switch them all over so I'm not having different types of food to work with? Only one of the 4 is having issues as of now...he's in the cage w another. The other has a stomach of steel...he was my first one...before I knew ANYTHING. He ate all kinds of things at first. (Mostly petsmart stuff)

If something is causing them squishy poo I do a cold turkey switch. You'll know if it's the food because they'll clear up right away.

That is the reason I originally switched off of Mazuri about 10 years ago.

I am in the middle of transitioning from Mazuri to PRCS right now. They never had squishy poo on Mazuri, but Max had inconsistent poo- sometimes really, really small and hard, sometimes not. He eats a ton of hay, so it's almost like he wasn't eating much Mazuri pellets.

Now, during the switch, I've started measuring everything out, and then dumping leftovers in the morning. They get 2 tbsp total, half and half each feed right now. Max seems to eat way less pellets than Osker, maybe under a tbsp every night. His poos already look better though!

Edit: I'm having a hard time telling if either of them are picking food out. Those two pellets look the same to me, except the PRCS is a longer pellet. But it can break...so, how can I tell?

Well poo! Literally. How do I find out what's here? You guys all talk about different stuff& it's overwhelming with the choices! Also, so I slowly mix in?...once I find something. Should I take the food out of his cage and only give hay until I get something new? That's what I was told to do last time.

There is Oxbow Chinchilla Deluxe at the Petsmart by Kohl's.

Back