Is this cage good?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I get a lot of those cages here. I take out the ramps and wire shelves and put pine ledges in it. The floor being wire is absolutely fine. As long as the chin has areas of the cage to rest their feet off wire it isn't a problem.

Oh, okay, thanks! He does have some place where he can rest ex: hidey house, ledge.

I got one of those with a surrender too. I also took all the wire shelving out of it and put in pine. Took out the shallow pan (they make a mess!) and stuck the whole thing in an old superpet plastic pan. They are the same size/shape as the superpet cages that sit in the pans perfectly so it worked out great.

Yep, I did the same thing. Took out al the wire shelves and ramps and put in pine ledges all over. I use it as one of my quarantine cages. It's suitable for a single chin but I think it's a bit small.

I had that cage for Jemma, put some wooden ledges on there but with all her jumping around it broke one of the wires. She's in a FN 142 now and likes it much better. It is kind of small, I think it would be better more as a temporary thing, I don't really think it's very sturdy :/ especially if you have some crazy jumpers haha

That was my first cage. I loved the convinience of the wire bottom. Lots of people hate them because the wire hurts chins feet, but honestly the ONLY time my chin was ever down there was to use the bathroom. I used lots of pine shelves (took out the wire ones completely)

The only problem I had about it was that many of my wire bars completely snapped. I don't know my homemade shelves were too heavy, but every bar I had a shelf bolted to ended up breaking. It also was pretty noisy. Other than that, it was a good cage once it was customized. Put in a hammock or two and some shelves.

In my opinion it's too small annd I heard creaky...

Before I got my chin, I looked at that exact cage and read some customer reviews on it-I didn't like what I heard. Then I did some research and found out it is considered too small by many chin people. I just recommended this website twice already in the last 10 minutes-why not go for a 3rd, lol-petchinchillas.info -it helps pick a good cage, helps make a not so great cage into a good one, and also helps people build their own. I ended up building one for my guy-I love the total control and I honestly enjoyed building it (with my dad). Then I added on a few months later and his cage is huge now for just one chin-can't wait to get another to help fill it up, lol, but he truly enjoys the space.

I'd consider getting another bigger one. If yours is in good shape, sell it on ebay, but I'd reccomend it for rats, not chins. You can, but I wouldn't.

Oh, okay, I don't if I can swing a new cage right now, but maybe we'll start building one...I only have one chin in it and he gets out three times a day, so I think he's probably fine for now, but I do want to get him a bigger cage.

I own it and will be getting rid of it soon when I have the money. It starts to curve in and break after awhile and the wire shelves are horrible. I don't recommend it.

Just make sure the ramps and wire racks are out, and he will be ood with wood shelves etc. It is not too bad of a cage for the time i will take you to get him a new one, that you like.

Had it and just threw it out recently as I wouldn't even bother using it as a temp cage anymore. I had bars snap off even. I have 2 other cages that are much better as temp cages now.

I have one of those now. No ramps(thanks to everyone on here letting me know they suck). I also have a love of other stuff down like a chinchiller and some wood and plenty of ledges so she can rest her feet from the metal. It's a bit easy to bend and a little flimsy. But it's a good starter cage I think. I'm actually thinking about upgrading though (just want a bigger cage.)

its too small, it might be fine for now until ur chin gets bigger but in the future you definatly will want a much bigger cage. also you need to put in some wood shelves and take out the wire ones, they are bad for ur chins feet and their feet can get caught in them and they can bread their legs.

Latest posts

Back