is there a time to just give up potty training?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wall-E Kips

hello again,
i recently switched to fleece liners for Wall-E's cage.
i bought a small pyrex glass pan filled with bedding for him to do his business on. when i first tried to introduce him to the pan i added soiled bedding hoping he would get the hint.
it's been about a week with no success at all, i don't think he's soiled the bedding in the pan once.
i know that some chin's just simply won't use a litter pan and will do their business wherever they please, so with that being said when is it time to just give up on trying to potty train a chinchilla? and should i still leave the pan in there even if he's not going to use it?
thank you in advance!

When he urinates in the pan again, don't clean it for awhile. With some chins the only way to get them to use their litter pans is to keep soiled shavings in them for a while until they get the hang of it. I know that sounds gross, but sometimes that's the only way they are going to know that they should urinate in the litter pan.

I've had some luck with a few of the chins here and getting them to use the litter pans exclusively, but there are some that just never will use it or want to use it. I think they just like to pee on everything. There's a chance that your guy will start to use it eventually, I'd leave it in and see if he gets the hang of it.

You can see if you can find the spot on the fleece that he's peeing on the most and move the pan directly over that spot. A week really isn't that long either, give it a little more time.

I have two chins and one will use the littler pan while the other is hopeless. I stop bothering after a few months and now I just watch the fleece more frequently

Thank you everyone for your input. I'll try leaving his pan in there and maybe I can get my little guy to get the hint. Hopefully he does, if not i guess I'll just have to wash his fleece more often. And I guess like Becky said, a week isn't that long. Thank you all again.

Latest posts

Back