Is it WHS?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smoogy

Hey!

So 30 minutes ago, as I was studying at my comp desk. Sonic is by my side, in his tank. He's not the nicest hedgie (I rescued him 3 months ago.. always lived with young kids, he seems frightened of humans), so I try to disturb him the least possible. I take him out once in a while to get him use to us gradually. Last time I took him out was last week to give him a bath.

When I first got him, he would go in his wheel a bit, though I didn't see him do it much, his wheel would get dirty with poop and all.... Then, about a month ago, he stopped... wheel is almost always clean... Doesn't seem to move at all.

So, as I was studying 30 minutes ago at my desk, he made noises and started moving about inside his igloo. I looked over to him, but he's just hidding. So I go back to studying. Then, he does it again, and louder... Starts to move more... I look over again. He's comming out of his igloo, so I watch. He squeaks again! As I watch him carefully, it looks like he's trying to push something out of his mouth... Then another squeak, and this time, I saw foam at his mouth (same color and all as when he annoints, only he didn't annoint, and he never annoints in his tank). He seemed to swallow it, and it happened another two times; each time with a little more foam. Was he throwing up?

So I got worried, and decided to disturb him. I was able to lift the blanket off the tank, and put my hand in no problem (usually, he balls up when I lift the blanket and he hisses and clicks constantly). I got him to sniff my finger a bit... he did so, following my hand with his nose, but not balling up (VERY unusual). So then, I take my hand away, and he starts walking... but it doesn't look normal. He seems to be dragging his butt.

So that's it! I decide to take him out of there, I have to know what's wrong! As I picked him up with the towel I always use, and he balled up and hissed at me and clicked a few times (completely normal for him...). As I take away all the sawdust and turn him around to face me, I notice his hind legs aren't tucked in as usually. The paws are just like stiking out! I touch them, and play with them a bit, and he says nothing! I think he might have lost feeling in them?

So I put him on the ground, and he starts to walk. As he walks, it's as I thought : he's dragging his butt around! Then, after a few more steps, his left hind leg just "pops" out of under him, and is getting dragged around limply. Poor thing!

So I pick him up again, and inspect him, but he's balled up in my hands, so I can't see anything. I can't even attempt to scruff him.

So, I did a but of research... Found out about WHS (Wobbly Hedgehog Syndrome). Though I can not find a movie of a hedgie moving like Sonic, not a story exact to Sonics.... That's why I'm not sure... I also read of a lot of other things that can LOOK lik WHS...

Up to now, he makes it easily to his water (lifts his head up... it's in a bottle), and his food level goes down, so I assume he also eats. Poops and wees are both present in the tank. The tank is kept at an average of 75f with the use of a reptile pad under the glass. It does NOT cover the whole bottom, so he walks around depending on if he wants more or less heat. He use to never have this before I got him. He lived in very cold conditions. I have NO family background on him either. Everything else other than the hind legs are fine up to date.

I would like to get a few opinions before I decide to do anything as to take him to the vet or anything. I was to hear some advice first...

Not much as changed in the last month other than I gave him his two first baths in his life. He is aprox a 3 year old, I would guess regular sized male.

I know this is long to read, I am sorry! I am just worried for him... ya know?

Any help is greatly apreaciated! Thanks!

Sandra

Hard to say. I would do a very thorough examination of him and his leg. Make sure he can get to his food and water. A vet may or may not be able to assist. Make sure he can move away from the heat especially if he is having trouble moving. Sorry I can't be of more help. I would suggest offering a water dish as well in case it is too difficult for him to get water. Dehydration is a big risk with a water bottle in a healthy hog let alone one that is having difficulty moving around. Monitor the food intake as well of course.

Thanks! It might not seem like much, but I already feel a bit better knowing that I'm not the only one who doesn't know what's to come. Thanks for your time, April!

I just took him out to roam for about 20 minutes. He can move about fine. I mean, he only has his front legs to use, but he runs fast! I took his wheel away since he can't do any and it gives him more moving space. He gladly took treats and annointed as usual. He drank a lot this afternoon, but now he seems to have had enough. I will find a dish in the morning to put in his cage. He can move about ok in his cage. He moves back and forth from the heat to the cool, so that doesn't seem to be a problem yet. I havent seen him spit up for no reason again.

When I had him out, I was able to see that yes, his hind legs are completely useless. They both droop out from behind his butt as he walks on the carpet. His personality is the same. Though, addicently, he did bite one of his paws thinking it was me teasing him. He didn't bite hard since it left no mark.

I will keep a close eye on him and everything he does. How fast does WHS develop in general? In how long should I expect to see him get worse if that's what it is?

Again, thanks for any help!

Sandra

You haven't mentioned him tipping over. WHS hogs will just randomly tip over onto their sides. In early stages, they get back on their feet in an instant but as it progresses it gets more and more difficult for them to get back to their feet and they lay on their side paddling with their legs trying to get up. I've only had one with WHS but by the time her leg mobility was noticeable, she was tipping over frequently.

WHS usually takes time to progress to the point of immobility in the legs. It wouldn't happen overnight or within a couple of days. Chances are this is something other than WHS and I suggest a vet visit. Although a vet cannot give you a whs diagnoses, he can rule other things out. Is there any chance he could have injured himself? Does he have levels in his cage and if so are they fully enclosed?

WHS progresses at different speeds depending on the individual hedgehog. Some progress to total immobilization in a couple of months and go slowly and can last a year or longer. My Cinder was 18 months from initial symptoms to when we had to help her cross.

His mouth issue sounds like he had something caught in the roof of his mouth. What type of food is he on and what shape is the kibble. Some shapes get caught easier than others but all can get caught depending on the hedgehog. Some hedgehog mouths seem to be sized and shaped that certain foods will get caught easier. You can try breaking up his kibble so there is less risk of getting caught.

Yes I agree with Nancy, it is not over night. Penny progressed from walking unsteadily and tipping or favoring a side to paralysis of one of her hind legs, to both hind legs over a period of almost a year. It almost sounds as if maybe your hedgie had some sort of seizue with the foaming at the mouth but I am unfamiliar about it's presentation/signs and symptoms in a hedgie.

Thank you Nancy and Sasha!

Nancy, he is not tipping over at all... He "walks" very straight and with almost no problem. All he does is pulls himself with his front paws. So if WHS doesn't happen over a period of less than a week, what would cause this? Does the bath have something to do with this? I was caredyll to make sure he didn't sniff water nor get almost any in his ears.

I have him on Chicken soup for the Cat's soul light. He originally was on some kind of cheap grocery store cat food. He was never given insects before, and when I offered him some, he refuses to take them. So insects are, in the moment, not part of his diet. I had also tried a kibble with dehydrated insects in it, but he always left it behind.

Sasha, though I hadn't thought of that, I doubt that's what it was... he was completely aware, it was just like he was couching up foam.

Then, later in the evening, his back was making movements somewhat like hickups, but very slow ones. The muscles would contract, and the let go. He was fully awake, and making small moans once in a while... but that's all...

Then, if it's probably not WHS, what could possibly cause sudden leg paralysis? I read that if he had a spinal tumor, it would also be possible. Are there any other signs to look for with tumors in Hedgies?

Thanks again to all!!!

Sandra

He needs to see a vet. There are a variety of possibilities that can lead to sudden paralysis. Whether or not the symptoms can be reversed... well that a vet will need to determine.

Possibilities? Tumors, stroke, back injury...

There are a few good vets. I would suggest Dr. Doug at Crestwood as he is easy to get into fast and is open later on Wed nights but others are good too.

Ok! Thank you all! I will check out the Crestwood. I don't have a set vet... I use to go to the guy in Beaumont, but them I moved to edmonton... since I've seen 3 different places for my hamsters.... (Ottwell, the medical center on 23rd and 97th, and the one attached to the Pet Cetera on Calgary trail). Ottwell is closest. Do you know if they're any good with Hedgies? If not, I will try out Crestwood I think :O

They are ok but don't have the equipment that Crestwood does (so it can cost more). I drive from Leduc and go to Crestwood despite the distance.

After a visit to the vet, it was determined that nothing could be done. Unless I did an xRay, I would not know per say what he has. I was told that, even with the xRay, it would not change his condition. I decided not to put him through it.

Yesterday evening, he crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I really enjoyed having him. He was my first hedgehog, a 3 and a half year old rescue. He must have been about 4 right now. RIP Dear Sonic.

Latest posts

Back