Is it serious?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ellembas

I got my first chin around 3 months ago: a 6 month old, grey female. She was very skittish due to previously unpleasant care and it took a few weeks for any trust to even begin to form, and it is still very much in the process.

A few days ago I bought a new cage for her (31.5"w x 20"d x 54"h) which is much larger than the cage she had been living in, around twice as big. She moved in to the cage (filled with a mix of new and old toys/accessories) on Thursday, and I donated her old one to a rescue, as it was in great condition.

Since she moved in to the new cage the amount of pellets and hay she is eating, and the amount of water she is drinking has decreased drastically, to the point where I'm not sure any of it is going down. Her droppings also changed from large, firm and almost black to very small, thin, light brown and dry - constipation I think.

Her 1-2 hour evening playtime is still very normal, jumping straight on to my hand when I open the cage door, running around and playing almost constantly and then sand-bathing and (somewhat reluctantly) allowing me to place her back into the cage. She will also still eat treats and rosehips etc from my hand, although her time in the cage seems much more calm, she tends to sleep on the highest platform straight after playtime.

I'm sorry for the long post, I just wanted to get in as much relevant information as I could think of. I'm just concerned as to whether the new cage has caused constipation due to stress of the new environment, and it'll clear up on its own, or is it more serious and should I seek a vet's attention?

I think I probably would take her to a vet if I were you. It might just be constipation, or she may have a partial blockage.
Do you weigh her weekly? If so, has she lost any weight?

It might pay to get some critical care and syringe feed her a nice watery mix. You can also use a pen to make a mark on her water bottle, so you can see just how much she is drinking.

Honestly though, I think a vet's assessment is a good idea. If she's not drinking much, then she's at serious risk for dehydration. Take her in as soon as you possibly can.
Hope she gets well quickly xxxx

Thanks, I caught her drinking this morning, and the water level has gone down a cm or two, but her food and hay still seems to be untouched. Ill get her to a vet this afternoon. Thank you for the advice! X

Back