Is it incorrect to be under the impression that-

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zombiezeatbrain

Philosophically inclined?
Is it incorrect to be under the impression that chinchillas are the most misunderstood/complex rodents? By misunderstood and complex I mean that there are so many misconceptions and so many people who don't know how to care for their chins properly and will continue to do so, without any idea that they're not taking care of them properly at all. There is so much conflicting information on the internet outside of this forum's (idealistic) walls. It seems (to me) that other rodents such as rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. are generally much more understood than the chinchilla. I mean, Petco and Petsmart doesn't even sell Oxbow/Mazuri/Tradition. In order to attain essentials for my chin I go through people on this forum- and there are so many people who are completely oblivious to this forum that continue to feed their chins fruits and veggies with low quality pellets and hay. I'm not sure, I could be wrong. But what do you guys think?

I do think you're right. I consider myself pretty knowledgeable about most pets and animals in general, but I learned a lot on here. But the Petsmart here does sell Mazuri and Oxbow. I think it depends on the location. I do agree with you though that most people don't understand chinchillas as well as other rodent pets.

Well... most of your statement is true. Petsmart sells Mazuri and Oxbow. And yes, they are very misunderstood. If people show interest in chins in my store, I direct them to this site and tell them to read first, ask questions, and really decide if it is the right animal for them.

It's not just chins. I think *all* rodents and exotic pets suffer the same fate you're discussing. The misconceptions cross species lines, and even owners knowledgeable with one kind of animal will screw up another kind because they're "a good pet owner". Ex: You can't feed a chameleon bananas and mushed up dog food and flip on a desk lamp so he can warm up. Two hamsters in the same cage will bite the daylights out of each other 9 times out of 10. Not feeding your adult snake will NOT stunt his growth enough to be healthy in a 2' long tank. Parrots need more than a dish of seeds and an hour a day with a TV on to be healthy and happy. Fish WILL grow as large as they're supposed to regardless of the size of their tank or how little they're fed.

The problem isn't "not enough/good information available"; I think it's more that people don't bother to *find* the good information, the responsible breeders, or the rescue groups that can start them up properly before they buy the animal and endanger it. They just want the cool/cute/pretty thing, not the research and work that comes with keeping animals properly. When people like that fail with domesticated animals (dogs or cats, livestock, etc.) there are more resources to correct the problem or save the animals, and laws in place to see that the real screw-ups get a few days in jail and a fine. It's harder to find a rescue for a Hogg Island Boa somebody mail-ordered from a company half way across the country than the dog the neighbors abandoned in the yard when they moved.

And I have yet to see anybody hit with an animal neglect/cruelty charge on a herd of chinchillas or a snake collection that actually resulted in a conviction. The cynic in me says that we could pool the results from every rescue on this board and count the number of prosecuted chinchilla abusers on both hands (and maybe not even that many). That's why I continue to support this forum; I've learned a lot from the experienced owners here, and I started off by talking with a rescuer about how to get started in the best way for the chins. For the people who walked into a pet store and walked out with a vibrating cardboard box and an overpriced plastic cage, it's literally a life-saver.

And I have yet to see anybody hit with an animal neglect/cruelty charge on a herd of chinchillas or a snake collection that actually resulted in a conviction. The cynic in me says that we could pool the results from every rescue on this board and count the number of prosecuted chinchilla abusers on both hands (and maybe not even that many). That's why I continue to support this forum; I've learned a lot from the experienced owners here, and I started off by talking with a rescuer about how to get started in the best way for the chins. For the people who walked into a pet store and walked out with a vibrating cardboard box and an overpriced plastic cage, it's literally a life-saver.

Yeah- I can honestly say I've learned more from this site than I have any others. Even before I joined, I thought I had done a lot of research. I thought I had everything prepared for my chin. And what do you know after joining I ended up spending rigorous amounts correcting purchases I had invested in prior. I ended up switching the food I was feeding him, bought a FN 142, and constructed multiple wooden shelves for it. This forum literally has been a life saver.

I have to agree with 3Csmommy as we have lovebirds and the stores list of supplies included grit that would have killed him. Since than I never trust a pet stores advice and look for forums where people kindly share their experiences which has been extremely helpful. I'm not always active in posting but I try to read a lot and am lucky to have a few mentors for my pigeons, starlings and now chinchillas.

Is it incorrect to be under the impression that chinchillas are the most misunderstood/complex rodents? By misunderstood and complex I mean that there are so many misconceptions and so many people who don't know how to care for their chins properly and will continue to do so, without any idea that they're not taking care of them properly at all. There is so much conflicting information on the internet outside of this forum's (idealistic) walls. It seems (to me) that other rodents such as rats, guinea pigs, rabbits, etc. are generally much more understood than the chinchilla. I mean, Petco and Petsmart doesn't even sell Oxbow/Mazuri/Tradition. In order to attain essentials for my chin I go through people on this forum- and there are so many people who are completely oblivious to this forum that continue to feed their chins fruits and veggies with low quality pellets and hay. I'm not sure, I could be wrong. But what do you guys think?

Hey, rabbits aren't rodents! :crazy:

I think you're right in that chins are often misunderstood in terms of their needs. I don't know that they're THE most misunderstood rodents out there, but they're up there. Even Oxbow, one of the top chinchilla feed mills, puts out misinformation on chinchillas; in the care sheets that Oxbow publishes about chinchillas, they claim that chins should be fed fresh veggies and that about 5% of their diet should consist of treats. :impatient:

I've tried multiple times to correct Oxbow on their information. I've even taken chins and other animals (rats, degu, hedgehog) down to their place and talked with them about a proper diet. Unfortunately, since they sell a bunch of junk treats, they aren't all that open to listening. You get the standard line of "We've done our research and consulted with vets."

I wouldn't say chinchillas are the most misunderstood, or have the most incorrect advice given. If you are active in any other rodent, or even small mammals you'll find the same thing.

Rats have more complex diet needs then chins do, as do rabbits and Cavies. IMO Chins are one of the easiest small mammals to care for. They don't have Vit. C issues(Cavies), they don't require fresh foods (Cavies, rabbits and rats). They eat a very simple pellet & hay diet. It's cheaper, and easier to feed 80 chins a month then it was to feed 8 Cavies who required veggies and fruits.

I sort of agree. I feel that pretty much any "exotic" pet is horribly misunderstood because there is so much conflicting information and most people trust pet stores to know what they're talking about. I mean, if I go to Home Depot and talk to them about laying floors I expect them to know what I'm talking about. Most people if they go to a pet store it is logical for them to expect the same kind of knowledge, but that just isn't the case. I do feel that chins get the short end of the stick in this case though, but then again, my friend who has little rat girlies gives them a ton of things that I didn't know rats needed because I've never owned rats. They are very happy, healthy little girls, too.

Back