Is Four Too Old?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amykhar

In May, a coworker's friend gave us a Chinchilla (Squirrel), a large cage, food, supplies, etc. Her kids had lost interest, and Squirrel needed more socialization.

He's adapted pretty well to us. He's not crazy about being held, but he will climb all over us when he's out in the Chin-proof play area. He will take food from our hands and tolerate being petted briefly.

He does not have a wheel in his cage, and before I invest $75 in a good one, I am wondering if four years old is too old to learn how to use one. Given that he's not crazy about being picked up, I'm wondering how I would even get him on the thing and teach him what it does.

We let him out daily in our dining room and have built all sorts of climbing boxes, etc for him. He also has a very large cage all to himself. But, I would love to get him a wheel if he can learn to use it and will enjoy one.

Any thoughts?

I don't think a chin is ever too old to learn how to use a wheel. Whether they are 1 or 10, some chins like them, some chins don't. I would give it a shot.

At four years old your chinchilla is in the prime of his life and would love a wheel. Also chins just don't like to be held and would rather sit on, bounce off of and jump off of you. Snuggles are never tolerated here for very long and Edgar is just getting used to being petted on his head at all after six months. Trust takes time but it sounds like you are doing great.

I don't really think it matters too much how old the chin is, as long as it's energetic enough to use the wheel. If you get one, just let Squirrel (I like the name hehe) check it out. If he doesn't seem to get it, you can get him to hop onto it with treats in your hand and put them in front of him so the has to walk on the wheel. I hope that makes sense. I know some people don't have wheels for their chins, so it's up to you.

I also don't think age matters when it comes to a wheel. Every one of the chins here (ages 2-7) LOVE their wheels. I mainly use chin spins, but I also have a few flying saucers. Chins seem to learn how to use the standard wheel (chin spin, leo braun, ed wheel, silver surfer, etc) easier than the saucer, but it honestly just depends on the chin.

The nice thing is, if he doesn't use it you can always resell it here for not much less than you paid for it. We love brand new/used wheels in good condition with a discount. :D

I would agree that it is definitely not too late to introduce your chin to either a wheel or saucer. Some chins get on them right away, and some take their time in figuring them out. And some never use them. My chin uses her saucer periodically throughout the day, everday. It was the best money I spent for her.

It may take a while, but he will eventually learn how to use it. Rodya and Sonya are about 6 years old, and when I first got them, the first thing I did for them was get them a wheel. It took them months to figure it out, but they did it! :)

Latest posts

Back