is any one else allergic?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easterpiggy

Master of the Fuzzies
I have wanted a hedgie for a while and my best friend has one. Hers takes a while to warm up to a person and stays in quill ball state for a while. Well every time I hold her in her quill ball stage and I get pricked by her quills I get a rash where ever they touched me. I want to know if Im the only one or is any one else allergic???:confused:

Lots of people are allergic. I get a little rash when I touch them to my skin, but nothing major at all and it goes away within a half an hour. If you can live with it, well then maybe it is ok, but I would hate for the poor hedgie to suffer and need a new home. Maybe someone else has better advice, sorry! I hope you find the right pet for you.

I'm terribly allergic to both of mine. I let Phoebe play on me last night while I was laying on the couch, and today I'm covered with hives all over my stomach and the tops of my legs. I guess some of her quills poked me thru my clothes. I took some Benadryl and it'll go away in a day or two.

I'm terribly allergic to both of mine. I let Phoebe play on me last night while I was laying on the couch, and today I'm covered with hives all over my stomach and the tops of my legs. I guess some of her quills poked me thru my clothes. I took some Benadryl and it'll go away in a day or two.
Same for me but it gets away the same day and I get watery/itchy hives. Thank god for Benadyl!

wow so I guess it isnt out of the ordenary. I was holding this cute little baby hedgie and i had to pick her up with no gloves (at a pet store) any way after I picked her up she un balled and was soooo curious and sweet. After I got done holding her my hands were numb for at least a half an hour. any one else get that???

ive never had any problems, nor has anyone thats met my hedgehog... hmm it seems some what common tho, i wonder what causes the reactions, is it the anointing or what?

Oh I probably am. I'm allergic to my guinea pigs.. get hives/rash from them anywhere the fur touches my skin except for my hands, I'm also allergic to my hamsters and gerbils that one is a respiratory allergy though to the urine so I wear a mask to clean the cage. Not sure if its always been there or not but I also had one of my dwarf hamsters bite the back of my hand the other day and it came up in a hive where she bit.. I don't ever remember that happening before but I don't think I've even been bitten on the back of the hand before either.. well that and I don't get bitten very often. Actually that's the one that kind of freaked me out a bit... not sure if it means the allergy is getting worse or what, made the mistake of googling hives from hamster bites and found out that dwarf hamsters have been known to cause anaphylactic reactions. Have been a bit hesitant to pick them up since because I'm really not sure what's going to happen when I do... so far I've wimped out and put on gloves to pick them up since but I hate doing that so just need to get up the nerve to try it without and see I guess. No point going to see the only allergist who is in in the city here as he's pretty much useless and either pretty well insists you live in a bubble or else decides you don't have a real allergy at all.

Not sure if you can get Reactine there or not but it works well and there's no problem with taking it daily permanently.. I think it may be under the name of Zyrtec there.

After I got done holding her my hands were numb for at least a half an hour. any one else get that???
My hands get a tingly/numb feeling occasionally--only if Quentin is really quilled up though. As you hold them more often and your hands get used to it, that tends to stop.

Is your rash just a few red dots that go away after an hour or so or is it an actual painful rash that blisters up? If it's the first, it tends to go away after repeated experience handling; it's just your skin's reaction to getting poked. If it's the second, you might want to reconsider, as rashes like that would make it hard to spend quality time with a little one of your own.

Most of the time, skin reactions are from saliva on the quills (anointing definitely comes into play with that). Giving the hedgie a bath can help combat them.

Different people have different reactions; some get rashes, some get breathing problems, etc. If you're so allergic that you have breathing problems at night from being in the same room, you should probably pick a different pet. If it gets to the point where you're living on allergy medicine just so you can interact with your pet, you might want to reconsider too. A slight rash that goes away shouldn't be a problem, I think most people get that at first, but if it gets worse (and sometimes it does) don't punish yourself and your pet by suffering through daily interaction or giving the pet less attention--try to have a backup plan for a good home.

Like I said before, though, most people get a slight red rash from handling at first; if not the rash, definitely some itching. That's a normal reaction in most cases. Maybe spend some more time with your friend's hedgie to get acquainted?

I'm also very allergic to all of my hedgies. It does help if I wear a long sleeve shirt when I play with them. That way it is just my hands that break out in a red itchy rash. The reaction is certainly irritating, but I'd never give up my quilly babies because of it.

When I first got hedgehogs, I would break out in a rash. Usually the rash would occur if the hedgehog had anointed since their last bath. To combat the issue, I occasionally would wipe the hedgehog with a wet wash cloth if I knew they had anointed, and I would wash my hands and arms after handling them.

Today, I don't have this problem any longer. It went away after a couple of years of hedgehog ownership. I don't know if I just got used to whatever was causing the issue, or if my allergies just changed.

In a ball or quills laying flat I still get hives. Sometimes, depending on how dirty they are, it can last for 3-4 days. If they are on my chest I can have an asthma attack. I still love them! So I suffer for my love of these babies. I have to clean the cages more often too. The pee in their cages will give me asthma as well.

I get red bumps from Winston, usually on my arms or stomach, if he's sleeping. I think I'm allregic to his urine too, cos I've been stuffed and sneezing since about when I got him. I"m a lot better now that he's at the sitters, and I'm away. I find that putting lotion on the bumps makes them go away before I wake up the next morning, so I think it's just irritation

Kendra

Back