Introductions for large colonies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devi Xiao

I realize that for every chin you add to a colony, the higher the risk you end up with that number of single chins and I have planned for that. Eventually, I'd like to have a colony of 6-9 females (no breeding), but I wasn't sure if that would be possible.
However, I have heard of some people having colonies as large as 9 or 10 chinchillas. If any of you have tried this, I was wondering how you did the introductions. Did you introduce the new chin to each member of your established colony one-on-one? Or did you add the new chin to the colony play time?

I have had large colonies of females up to 8 chins. I tried many chins before finding compatible chins. I have found its much easier to intro a young adult or kit to a colony and have never had luck with males in colonies. I use the cage in a cage method to intro and a fresh dust bath. I start my colonies with weanlings and usually add a adult or other kits as they wean. I have only been able to get a group of 4 adults together, any more and I've had issues. As with any intro slower is best.

When starting a colony there are certain traits. I've mostly done breeding colonies, I always, always bond the females first.

The best time to put them together is a new environment or at weaning time. If you bring in say 8 retired breeder females, get them from the same ranch, put them all together right away. It sets the standard that this is how it is in this new place, we're stressed, we're scared, but hey, we have food, water, dust and someone to snuggle with. It's even better if you can transport them together in the same carrier as they can bond through the stress of the move, instead of adding more stress later.

These are some of the growing colonies I used to have, I would keep some together for 10-11 months in same sex colonies for each male and female. I've also had many retired breeder female colonies the same way, colonies are great to get older females who have quit producing going again.

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Rivendell_Chinchillas/media/Chins/growingboys2.jpg.html?sort=3&o=44

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Rivendell_Chinchillas/media/Chins/Growinggirls.jpg.html?sort=3&o=46

http://s70.photobucket.com/user/Rivendell_Chinchillas/media/Chins/growingboys.jpg.html?sort=3&o=45

Riven, how big are you cages, and how many chinchillas are in each cage?

Sorry they didn't copy over right. These were growing cages I used to use many years ago, they were about 2' deep, 4' wide, and each section was about 3 1/2 foot tall. For a pet colony I'd go with a full 2 level FN or CN or even a three level for a large colony.

This is a male colony, that large white male in there was of my favorite males, he was out of my best white producing pair, and took a Res. Champ, a 3rd best, and then a 1st National in a frantic month long showing frenzy! :D

A standard female growing colony.

And again boys.

Last edited:
Is it easier to keep a large colony together if they have ample space to run around? I'd like to put 3 Ferret Nations + 3 Add-On units together to form a 3x3 unit and fill it with extra hiding spots and plenty of shelves. Does the extra space make it easier for the chins to get along?

space can probably be a concerning factor but regardless its still a very dangerous and tedious thing to attempt. You will have to be extra cautious, the most i got out of my girls was a trio of females..... I had been breeding for a while and had chinchillas for 5-6 years all together. Its not impossible but its just pretty hard to accomplish in my opinion.

A larger cage doesn't make it easier to bond them. If they don't get along NO cage will be big enough. A cage that's too small can encourage fighting. Most important is having several food and water spots.

Would 3 ferret nations all with add-ons put together to form one large cage be enough space for 9 chinchillas? I plan on getting them all at approximately the same time. If I do, what type of carrier should I use? I know carriers are too small for an extended amount of time, so would they still bond if I put them in something like the carriers from Ryersons?

I would also have some extra cages just in case they don't get along now or in the long run. I have colonies the most is 4.

Yeah, I have 3 ferret nations + add on units that I can divide into 9 separate cages in the unfortunate event that they ALL don't get along.

I intro my colony animals all at the same time, adding to a colony later can often have ill effects. Also sometimes they can get along for months or even years and then one day you can just all of a sudden have one of them turn on one or more of the others.

Makes sense. Guess I should start saving so that I can drop a little over a grand to get them all at the same time, eh?

Transporting them in a Ryerson type cage won't offer any en route bonding.

Adequate space is good, but if a chin really wants to go after another, no amount of space will make a difference. I would personally go with a group of just weaned animals, or a group of older breeding females who are more laid back.... IMO

OK, but is there any carrier that CAN fit 9 chinchillas? The only one I know of is Ryersons.

You can also use a small cage to transport them in. I do think some people use dog crates to transport only.

If you want to come by I have some small cage that will work for you to transport but I do want a deposit in case I don't get my cage back.

Thanks, Snickers. This won't be for a long while though. :)

You can also use a small cage to transport them in. I do think some people use dog crates to transport only.

If you want to come by I have some small cage that will work for you to transport but I do want a deposit in case I don't get my cage back.

Chins being transported by car need to be in a small cage, in case of a accident they wont be flung around and in case the car breaks down they can be easily moved.

Back