Introducing Monty

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
V

vickym1984

Our new chinchilla came out of quarentine and came home yesterday

monty1.jpg

His name is Monty, and is a 5 year old male.

We already have gizmo, who is about 9 months old, their cages are now corner to corner to eachother, so they can see eachother, but they can get away from eachother too.

We got them out last night, one at a time, Gizmo seemed very curoius about this new chinchilla in his house

What sort of behavipur should I expect in these first couple of weeks when they are just looking ate eachother through the cage?

Our new chinchilla came out of quarentine and came home yesterday

You quarentined him in a different house?? The idea of quarentine is to keep them seperate for 30 days in the "Same" House, so the new chin can get used to the bacteria in YOUR home. Otherwise it isn't a quarentine. To Late now. While quarentine is also to make sure the new chin has nothing to make your first chin ill, it is also to make sure the new chin gets used to the different Flora in your home.

As far as intros go....keep them side by side for a couple weeks. then you can try a few different intro methods on this site. I used a dust bath to intro my 3. They were so busy having fun in the dust they never noticed that someone new was there. LOL. It doesn't always work that way, but they are best friends and have been together about 6 months with no a single issue.

Some use the cage inside a cage, switching cages etc. They may never get along. Depends on the Chins really.

you can expect anything from them being nice and talking through the cages to each other to them being agressive and biting at the cages...

Take it slow, read up a lot-intros are not always easy and can take some strong people to make it happen...

and not to be a jerk, but if you were confused about something simple like quarantine, you will really need to buff up on your intros etc. to make sure these chins are safe during the intros. Some can be "safer" than others, and you need to be prepared for anything

Congrats on your new arrival. You'll have to show more pics when Monty is more settled. Hope the intro goes well with Gizmo. I can't offer any advice but to state the same - intro slowly to perk up their interest in one another without them being able to come in contact and hurt eachother.

He looks like he is in desperate need of a dust bath, and may have an eye infection..I can't tell if it's just greasy fur or if the eye looks irritated.

He looks like he is in desperate need of a dust bath, and may have an eye infection..I can't tell if it's just greasy fur or if the eye looks irritated.

I noticed the eye too when I was first looking at this post...but didn't know if it was because he was so greasy and the skin was showing or what-the pic really doesn't allow for much to see...

either way he should be checked, and bathed big time

Wow. I am sorry for all the hating going on in this thread. I know people are just concerned about chin well-being, but maybe you could send a PM instead of blasting someone who is excited about a new pet up one side of the thread and down the other.

She's obviously asking for some advice and I think the chin-nazis need to dole it out more lovingly/tactfully and at certain times more privately.

If you are a chin owner and you belong to this forum then you clearly care about chins and your particular animal(s) even if are still in the process of learning how to best care for them. I'm sure Monty is in very loving and capable hands...so welcome home to Monty :)

To you "experts" please don't drive us newbies away who could really benefit from your advice simply by the way you give it out.

:end rant:

What's so hateful about pointing out what the chin needs? A dust bath and some possible antibiotics for the eye infection if there is one. I don't see anything that was hateful towards the OP, and I certainly don't see any hating? A chin doesn't look like that if he's gone without a dust bath for just a few days. He obviously hasn't had one in a very long time.

I don't see any bashing...just some owners who noticed a chin with a bad case of greasy coat and a possible eye infection...

And I don't think it is heroic to run to the rescue of someone getting good advice...by you coming out and "bashing" the "bashers" does that make you any better??? No one is "mean" to chase away all the newbies-we are honest because we care about these animals and are willing to offer advice where advice is needed...

To the OP, bathe your chin, get the eye checked and keep coming back. This site is a great place for newbies-and hey, it might just be the photo-but if it isn't you found the right place to help get your chin better

I wasn't trying to come to anyone's rescue...and my response wasn't just about the dust bath and the possible eye infection comments but more about the quarantine comments and even more about one in particular.

The way I read the post it was excitement about a new chin and asking advice about intros...the way I read the responses....they just didn't address that so much as just sound negative. Sorry if I overreacted.

I wasn't trying to come to anyone's rescue...and my response wasn't just about the dust bath and the possible eye infection comments but more about the quarantine comments and even more about one in particular.

The way I read the post it was excitement about a new chin and asking advice about intros...the way I read the responses....they just didn't address that so much as just sound negative. Sorry if I overreacted.

I understand where you're coming from, but see it from our side. A new chin owner is asking for advice on intros-a farely difficult thing-when the origional chin needs a bath and could be infected...the quarantine wasn't properly done so she really needs to take care of that eye is it is infected, or she will (if she doesn't already) have two chins with eye infections. She may have asked about just intros, but she needed to hear about the issues and deal with those before she goes introducing anyone. Sometimes it hard to watch a newbie get an ear full, and trust me this thread hasn't even been bad-but take it from someone who has been "bashed" and done the "bashing"-it's better to be bashed and get the right information then to be spoken to in a rose colored manner and end up with a dead chin...

As far as intros go....keep them side by side for a couple weeks. then you can try a few different intro methods on this site. I used a dust bath to intro my 3. They were so busy having fun in the dust they never noticed that someone new was there. LOL. It doesn't always work that way, but they are best friends and have been together about 6 months with no a single issue.

Some use the cage inside a cage, switching cages etc. They may never get along. Depends on the Chins really.

Ummmm I did respond to the question. Was very nice about it in fact, but that does not change the fact that quarentine was not done correctly and could endanger both Chins. I in fact was not even mean about asking about her method.....was just a bit surprised is all. And explained why it was necessary. If you find that bashing....I am sorry....But I thought I was very nice in how I worded what I said, Reasons for why I said it and addressed the question.

Ummmm I did respond to the question. Was very nice about it in fact, but that does not change the fact that quarentine was not done correctly and could endanger both Chins. I in fact was not even mean about asking about her method.....was just a bit surprised is all. And explained why it was necessary. If you find that bashing....I am sorry....But I thought I was very nice in how I worded what I said, Reasons for why I said it and addressed the question.

I'm guessing she was refering to myself and a few others, not you. Though in all honestly, I don't think that anyone was mean or blasting anyone.

I thought you had a good response:high5:

Can't wait to see some more pics of Monty! Congrats on your new arrival!! :)

Hello, sorry I haven't come back sooner.

Re the point about quarrentine-I have been advised previously by a number of resucues in the UK including the RSPCA that quarentine in a different house is ok, but thankyou for your concern

Re dustbaths-Yes, I agree that I don't think his previous owners dust bathed him that often, even though they mentioned him having dust baths. I could tell by his fur straight away, and in the time we have had him so far he has rolled around a lot in the dustbath when we have had him out for excercise time

Re the eye-I think there was just something he got in it, as it seems to have cleared up now, but will keep a close eye on it, and take him to the vets if it goes like that again

Unfortunately, the RSPCA and those number of rescues were wrong. As stated, quarantine is for the chinchilla to get used to the flora in your home.

I understand where you're coming from, but see it from our side. A new chin owner is asking for advice on intros-a farely difficult thing-when the origional chin needs a bath and could be infected...the quarantine wasn't properly done so she really needs to take care of that eye is it is infected, or she will (if she doesn't already) have two chins with eye infections. She may have asked about just intros, but she needed to hear about the issues and deal with those before she goes introducing anyone. Sometimes it hard to watch a newbie get an ear full, and trust me this thread hasn't even been bad-but take it from someone who has been "bashed" and done the "bashing"-it's better to be bashed and get the right information then to be spoken to in a rose colored manner and end up with a dead chin...

I agree, if you are going to post photos on here or links to your website be prepared for any and all possible advice to be given on whatever is in the photo. There is another thread in the breeding section that just started as a "look at my baby" post and sure enough in the picture was a bowl full of improper food for a chin (much less a nursing chin) and they were both pictured in a cage that wasn't babyproof. So would you rather me say "oh cute baby!" and ignore the fact that the baby could be dead in a few hours or point out the obvious?

When you communicate through a technology that is purely textual, people are going to read into messages more than they would if they were delivered face to face.

What you inferred, Chinzilla, as "bashing" did not appear to come across that way to the OP. Bashing members is not tolerated here and we have moderators who will take care of it if it gets out of control in a thread, so you needn't worry - this thread is not even close to some of the things I have seen posted before on CNQ.

:wave3:To the OP, congrats on your new addition, I am sure you will find lots of information on here that will be helpful to you as you learn about your new friend. Be sure to hit up the FAQs

Last edited:
I agree, if you are going to post photos on here or links to your website be prepared for any and all possible advice to be given on whatever is in the photo. There is another thread in the breeding section that just started as a "look at my baby" post and sure enough in the picture was a bowl full of improper food for a chin (much less a nursing chin) and they were both pictured in a cage that wasn't babyproof. So would you rather me say "oh cute baby!" and ignore the fact that the baby could be dead in a few hours or point out the obvious?

When you communicate through a technology that is purely textual, people are going to read into messages more than they would if they were delivered face to face.

What you inferred, Chinzilla, as "bashing" did not appear to come across that way to the OP. Bashing members is not tolerated here and we have moderators who will take care of it if it gets out of control in a thread, so you needn't worry - this thread is not even close to some of the things I have seen posted before on CNQ.

:wave3:To the OP, congrats on your new addition, I am sure you will find lots of information on here that will be helpful to you as you learn about your new friend. Be sure to hit up the FAQs

:clap:

Back