Instant Bonding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CutiePie

Member Here :)
I was just curious if anyone has had any luck with instant bonding?
Have you had two chinchillas who automatically just got along when put together for the first time?
If so, please tell me about your experience with that, and if not, tell me how long it took to bond your chinchillas and how you did it.

:))

Yes, but generally after I have watched them grow up and I know their personalities. Sometimes it happens, but more times it doesn't.

I'm SURE this isn't the case for everyone, but I have a cage of 9 females. They were fine right away. If I recall correctly I had put 2 groups of 2 one group of 3 and 2 singles when I did it. I'm sure I was just lucky. I also have a cage of 5 males that bonded instantly. I've only ever had to try to bond twice. I think im lucky lol

My two females got along straight away, i guess i was lucky :D. We kept them in seperate cages and they actually got depressed by being apart, the first night together they started fighting so we split them up for the rest of the night and tried again the next day and from then on they have got on great.

Three boys and three cages for us. Our first two are pretty dominant guys and we didn't feel they'd do well in a cage together. Our third and first may end up bonding but since Jackie has only been here two months we'll have to see. In most cases a 30 day quarantine is smart so we have a couple small cages for that.

I will admit though that caging them together isn't a big deal for us so we have erred on the side of caution. Also Jackie has been beat up by a cage mate so we want him to feel safe in his home and trust us before we try.

Aww poor Jackie, Lola is definatly more dominant in the cage and if Dotty shows some dominance going on Lola will pee on her lol.

I had one pair get off right away, no fighting at all, and they lived together happily until I had to put one down due to malo. I think it worked so well with them because one was extremely dominant and the other was so passive, so the passive one didn't even care that the other wanted to be dominant.

The passive one was about 2 years old at the time of intro and the dominant one was about 3 months.

I've tried intros 3 other times and have only had one other success, that was via smooshing them. So I have a 50/50 success rate.

I have had some get along great right away, I have had some take some time and I have had some that I never was able to get together, I also have had some that seemed fine for a few weeks then turned on each other. You just can never tell for sure when dealing with living things

I have a few females that will get along with just about anybody. I just put them in a cage together and they get along just fine. I also have one girl who will only get along with males. On two occasions, she nearly killed another female - needless to say, she will never be allowed near another female.

Latest posts

Back