In need of some advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ABBY W.

I have a woman who placed a deposit on a kit some time ago. The kit is weaned and ready to go. This person called me several times while I was on vacation to make arrangements for pick up. She seemed put out that I wouldn't allow her to pick up the kit when I wasn't home. We made an appointment for when I got back, which she then missed. She didn't call to tell me she wouldn't be coming and I spent an afternoon waiting. I got a return call from her that evening saying "Oh, I am out of town for the next week or two, family stuff." She wasn't the least bit apologetic about having left me waiting. I agreed to hold the kit until she came back. Then she called me last night and wanted to pick up the kit today. She has also failed to show up for this appointment, again with no call or explanation.

Sorry this is so long, I am just really annoyed and venting. But the basic point is, I'm starting to feel like this girl is wasting my time and am considering whether or not I should just find another home for this kit. What do you guys think?

Last edited:
I'm going through a similar situation right now as well, and I'm about done. My opinion is - find her a new home.

I dont sell chins, but if i was going to buy anything, especially a pet, i would not do that to someone. If I want to buy something I follow thru. It just makes me think maybe she would "forget" to feed her chin or go on vacation with out making arrangements.
I am not sure what you policy is on the deposit situation. If you are able to sell the chin than maybe you could give it back or if you have a strict policy.........than she is beat!

I've had this happen more than once. I would just let her know that her deposit was non-refundable and that you're not going to play games. Set one more date, if she misses it, oh well, her loss. Put the chin back up for sale and tell her she forfeited the deposit by not cooperating. Make a policy and stick with it, thats what I've had to do.

Update: OK, so she finally showed up two and a half hours late, without calling! I was in the middle of craft stuff and not expecting her obviously. So, I went ahead and got the little one ready. I think she'll provide a good home, as she already owns another one and takes good care of her. But when we got to the part of final payment, she found she was three dollars short, and only had a twenty! So we had to go running around my house to find change for a twenty!!! This girl is good with animals, but needs to work on the people part of things!

OK, I am taking a deep breath and ending my rant here. Thank you for listening guys!

Wow, I would not have given change and not have been that patient. I would have said, sorry I am not here now. Ha. Even if it was through the door. I don't deal with that anymore and now make sure to let them know ahead of time I am leaving at this and this of hour, and give them an hour from when they said they would be here. Works great. Then they call to cancel or change the time, not just drop off the planet for a few days.

I have a provision in my contract they fill out before sending a deposit stating that it is non refundable if they do not pick up their chin in the time specified, unless previously arranged. They sign and initial it before I will take a deposit. I have not had that problem! But if I had,

I would not have been that patient. I had someone show up 4 hours late without calling I told them to leave. I have a life too and it doesn't revolve around them, itmay revolve around chinchillas but not around people who are disrespectful. and my non-refundable deposit also has a clause. You must arrange pick-up for within 2 weeks of purchase unless special arrangements are made, or 2 weeks after weaning if it is kits still nursing. I have had people flake out on me then I have an older animal which can be hard to move.

You have to be strict when selling otherwise people will try to screw you sadly enough. but then again all my rules go out the window for people I know LOL

I agree, I might not have been so patient. It all depends on if the person maintains a line of communication with me or not. In your case, I probably wouldn't have been so nice - people act like your whole existence is the chinchillas and no matter what time they show up you'll be available but that isn't the case.

When I tried to sell my cage I had tons of people like that. They say they will take the cage, I hold it for them, refusing other people and then... they don't call, I ask them what's up and they don't want it anymore. I had 3 people who did that to me. In the end I was ready to give it away to the nearest rescue, but I finnaly found someone that was not fooling around.

Last edited:
I don't breed (but hope to get into it in a few years) - but I think ChinnieChantel has good advice. Have a form for them to sign when they place the deposit stating that it is non-refundable unless YOU (the breeder) back out of the sale. Maybe put a line on there where you write the date and time specified and add that deposit is forfeited if final pickup/pay arrangements are not met (unless prior arrangements have been made w/ a 24 hour notice).
I just can't imagine doing that to someone, but I know people do. That is your work and life and your time is just as important as anyone elses.

I have that happen a lot when people want to pick up orders. I had one person that was supposed to be there at 7pm and were 3 hours late!! Then he had brought his girlfriend and another friend and wondered why I said NO to them seeing my chin room!

It really is shocking how rude people are. I hate waiting around for people that are late. What I do now, for the repeat offenders, is have them pay via paypal and I leave their order on my porch. Obviously, you can't do that with a chin.

I ALWAYS exchange cell numbers when "on the way", just to eliminate problems! It's easy to get lost, or hung-up in traffic around here. Although I give explicid directions, some think mapquest is better, and end up lost, anyway!
Also gives you a better idea of a realistic ETA, and what you can get done while waiting!
Has eliminated 99% of my "no-shows"!

Back