I'm scared!!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
My 12 year old son, Brandon, has been suffering from headaches for awhile now. It started last school year, but I didn't think too much of it. I thought it was an excuse to get out of school. The headaches continued through summer and have gotten worse. Then he started having dizzy spells and now is having frequent spells of a sudden, intense headache, which makes him seem vacant, makes his heart race, and makes him flush. I took him to the doctor today who, after some testing, believes it is POTS - some long name that I can't recall, but has to do with his heart not keeping his blood pressure stable when he changes position. I have to make an appointment to take him to Seattle's Children's Hospital for more testing, including an EKG. Until then, I have to give him sports drinks, to up his sodium levels, and when he has spells, he has to lay down until it passes. He is not allowed to have any physical activity until his cardiologist gives him the ok. There goes fall soccer. I am so nervous. Until I hear something reassuring from the doctors, I'm going to be a total mess. I can't entertain the thought at all that something could be seriously wrong with him, and I pray that it is something minor, and treatable, and short-lived.

Please send healthy thoughts our way to my son. I need all the help I can get. My children are my life and I need them to be safe from harm.

Oh Jenn, I'm so sorry to hear this! I can only imagine how scared you both must be, and how I would feel if it were one of my girls. I am sending good thoughts your way that it is just something minor. *hugs*

Sending lots of good thoughts to your son Jenn. Please keep us updated.

I'm sorry to hear that :( I got really bad headaches as a kid (still do) and I know how awful it is. I really hope the doctors can help him get better soon.

Thanks everyone! I had weird dreams last night, and then was up early dwelling on this. I tend to worry a lot, and maybe I'll be reassured after his appointment. I make his appt. today and hopefully we won't have to wait too long. I've just seen him getting worse very quickly, but the first time we inquired about his headaches, we had his eyes checked and sinuses x-rayed, which turned out normal, and were told just to give him tylenol. An answer I didn't like. At least this time we have a direction to go and maybe we'll get some real answers. I just have to remember to breathe until then!

Oh Jenn, I'm sorry you, your son and the rest of your family are going through this. Sending lots of thoughts and prayers your way. Definitely keep us posted.

Sending good thoughts your way. Don't be afraid to trust your mother's instinct and if you need to get second opinions do it!

Yea, I knew I didn't like the first answer of, "just take tylenol for the pain". Kids aren't supposed to get daily headaches, are they? So I kept a mental record of his headaches, but after I witnessed a couple of his sudden severe headaches, I knew this needed to be pursued. I then went into the dr.'s office with a sheet listing everything I knew about what had been going on with him. So we are heading in a definite direction now, and that's a good start. It's just so frustrating, because when I was pregnant, I tried to do everything just right to create a healthy child. I even nursed my boys for 4 years, yes, 4 years! I thought it would increase their immune systems to help prevent allergies and asthma. And poor Brandon has had so many issues. I feel bad for him. He broke his arm 2 years ago during soccer season and had to drop out. Then had knee issues come up during soccer season last year and had to drop out. Now dr.'s orders prohibit him from finishing the soccer season this year. He also has stomach issues, better now that he is off most dairy foods. He is also shy and has a hard time making friends. And now this! It is so hard as a parent. We want the best for our kids and I've been watching him struggle and it breaks my heart. I keep looking for the light at the end of the tunnel, that I know is there, but sometimes it gets a bit frustrating because so much keeps getting in the way of the light. As long as our visit and testings come back with something minor and treatable, then that will make me the happiest mom in the world!

He'll be fine with a mom like you; you were aware of the situation almost immediately and went straight for medical help when it became necessary. You didn't let the doctor's lack of concern stop you from keeping an eye on Brandon, and you went back and insisted on a re-exam when "just give him Tylenol" didn't help. You're doing exactly what he needs, and I know that's what you'll keep doing while these headaches are figured out.

Since Brandon's physical activity's kind of limited right now, what about something less strenuous to keep him mentally occupied and being social? (It sounds like you're a little worried that his health will cause problems in other areas, and I know if his activity's restricted, he's gotta get bored.) Are there any academic classes he likes a lot? Maybe you can find a local astronomy group or fish-keeping club he can do while he's out of soccer. Remote control car/plane clubs are everywhere, and I know our local game store has specific nights for Yu-gi-O and Magic card game tournaments, or D&D/Warhammer games. (Not sure how you feel about RPGs, but my better half and I are fans, and a lot of kids get into them around 12-14.)

Sending good thoughts your way, until you get an answer from a doctor, stay away from the inter net( except here of course) You just end up scaring yourself. My husband did that recently when we had a medical concern for my daughter, and he made everyone nuts. I really hope everything comes out well for your son, nothing is as important as the health of our kids.

thanks, ruoc, I'm trying to stay away from the internet, lol, as I due tend to worry enough as it is, and I don't think I'll find reassurance from researching myself to death! I know we all feel this way, but I really don't think I could carry on if something happened to either of my sons. I would gladly take the fall for them so they could live a lifetime. And thanks 3csmommy (I'm terrible at remembering names! lol). I'll have to look into more sedentary social activities for Brandon if he has to remain inactive. Hopefully that is only temperary as he is a typical active boy.

Latest posts

Back