I'm picking up a rescue in the morning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
hes adorable, hope everything goes wonderfully. Good to hear he is using his front paws more, probably just a bit beaten up from being out and about.

I know the vet said he is ok just a bit soar and bruised from his adventures but he lays around like this all day long when he isnt eating or drining this is all he does.....is this normal is this him just resting and recouping from his ordeals

Attachments

• download.jpg
    download.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 43
That's exactly how Woodrow lays in his fleece tube, he used to sleep like that on his bottom floor too. My boys wait until I go to bed to start havoc, I'm sure that's what he does too. What do you use to line your cages with, it looks mighty comfy! Like a big huge pillow!

well this is jsut a big blanket made of fleece that I double over a few times for right now since he doesnt use his front paws well he falls sometimes when he tries to jump on some of the ledges so i put lots of padding down for him......yes he is eating/pooping/drinking and his tiny poops are getting bigger almost the size of my other chins....Im just worried about him laying like that ALL day long and he doesnt move much at night either....Im on constant watch duty to make sure he is ok so i check on him every 1 to 2 hours and the only time I see him up is to drink and eat.....he pees right were he lays so i have to change the liner often....his non deformed front paw is slightly swollen at the pad but the vet says he is fine no infections breaks or anything like that but I babies that paw whne he uses it to walk on he pulls it back and then doesnt place pressure on it anymore....I think Im an over antsy chinny mommy but I think if this doesnt get better soon I will take him to a different vet for a second opinion on his paw....oh still dont have a name I just keep calling him lil guy even though he is much bigger then my Gentle
:pillowfight::pillowfight:

When we first took our boys home neither one of them moved very much for the first week or 2. He's probably getting used to his new home and not feeling very well from the change in food, his paw and having hard time getting around. I'd say if the swelling doesn't go down soon to get it looked at again, just in case.

that is exactly how da vinci lies around almost now maybe 40% of the time

not as bad as your guy (knowing the history)
da vinci i have no clue what happened other then he was extremly malnutrition (sp?) and extremly fearful and depressed and was told by petshop negelected...

after quarintine and introductions he spend maybe 90% time sitting on a specific ledge doing that
eat/drink/pee where ever and go back -_-

someone here on the forums told me he'll suprise me one day and that week he did that weird sleeping/sitting thing somewhere else lol

it really helps him in my ptv if he can be intro to another chin, he'll rely on the other one alot for comfort and support to do other things

but it sounds like you want to do intro

if you can when they see each other (cage near the other cage) that they dont need to see each other over night when your not there i heard they can die of acute stress just because the other one is staring at him from across the room

good luck and i'm glad you have him:)

Last edited:
wow now that's a rescue story. how were they able to catch him??? glad they were able to connect with you.

they didnt have to chase him it was so cold and wet that he just sat there sort of like oh my human they will rescue me sort of thing she said that he rode home the entire way on her lap and just slept.....ok so im attaching pictures of his front feet the first one is his deformed paw the second one is the big swollen one if it is swollen and not just deformed his big pad is really big

Attachments

• 19.jpg
    19.jpg
    25.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 17.jpg
    17.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 40
I am so jealous of you I seen the same add on CL and you must of answered it before me ;) Gl with him and hope he loosens up for you and becomes a nice pet Thanks for helping the animal world :D

Alright guys he is doing better he has only been at my home for 5 days now and he loves attention.....he is holding his food with his paws now and more active so I think he is getting better even though his little pads on his paws are still a bit raw.....what should i put on his feet to help them heal a bit better? He will actually sit at the edge of his cage with his feed on the bars and make noises at me until I give him scritches

you can use bag balm - that's the name of it - usually available at a drugstore or walmart. will help moisturize his feet if they are dry and cracked.

yay...he is doing so much better his swelling on is paws is going down....so name wise help me out Im thinking either Freeway cause thats where he was found or Dexter (Dex for short) what do you guys think?....oh how do I get him to stop peeing on the wood ledges Gentle my other Chin doesnt do that he uses is corner potty for that but the new one just does it where ever?

Update!!!

We have decided to call the new chin Dexter (Dex) for short...he is doing great with his paws he is jumping ledges they are no longer swollen and doesnt baby them anymore did have to take him to the vet yesterday again he has come down with an eye infection but its being treated and seems to be getting better but other then that he has a clean bill of health....I will begin the chin introductions after his full 30 day quarantine unless his eye infection doesnt clear up by then I'll have to wait for that. Now one question I cant seem to get him litter pan trained my chin Gentle was way easy basically did it in a day and its been 3 weeks and Dex is like ha your not getting me to use a potty hahahahahaha any suggestions?

:hilarious:

Back