I'm picking up a rescue in the morning

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skygirl

Chinny Girl
So...Im browsing craigslist and I see an ad for a chinchilla that has been rescued...so I email and thru the conversations come to find out his wife and son found this poor little guy on a freeway access road in the middle of the road!!!!!!! he sent me a picture of him looks a bit skinny and fur is all matted but no suprise im in Texas and the weather here has been difficult to predict it gets warm in the day above 75 with the sun and cold at night right now in the 40s to 30s so Im suprised the little guy has made it so far not to mention it has rained a couple of times.....this gentleman had no idea what to do with the chinny and he lives in the country and this was at night time so no stores open to get chinny food so I told him run to wally world and pick up timothy hay that will hold him over till i can get him in the morning so this little guy is resting in a cat carrier until I can get him in the morning.....so does anyone have any advise on how to start him on food I dont want to shock his little system.....I do have an apt to go to the vet but its not for another 2 days! :hug2:

Wow, poor little guy, it says you have one..is he the one or do you already have a chin? If he is number two you need to keep him in another room for 30 days quarintine. Don't buy that crappy pet store chin food with treats and stuff in it. Oxbow, mazuri, purina rabbit chow show are all good, I buy the last at a livestock feed store. So many new water bottles either leak or don't work. I swear I would try it out (fill it and touch the nozzle) with a human water bottle in my car and return it until I find one that works, glass ones are best. Is it a baby/ young one, adult/ small adult? My full grown fat boys can fit though a square 1-1/2" X 1-1/2". kits need 1inch x 1/2inch or smaller. Timmy hay is good, chew sticks, a house, some fleece. I'm glad you found us, you will learn a lot here. I look forward to seeing his pics Theresa

Yes I already have a chinny My little Gentle.....so I have all the necessary supplies minus another cage for the new arrival....thank you for letting me know about the 30 day quarintine did not know that....soo ill be getting another temp cage then I guess this will help when i try the slow process of introductions......from the picture I got this chin is a young adult but very skinny and fur is matted looking so def dust bath is in order for this little guy or girl ill find out when i pick up.....anymore suggestions will be more then welcome

this will be my second chin....thank you all for your suggestions and i also didnt know about the quarintine period so that will def be happening I just picked him up he is in a cat carrier right now I just need to go get him a cage now ill be posting pictures later on

yes I have the new addition....he is a bit odd he doesnt use his front legs much he keeps them tucked in but and when he sits up he rocks onto his butt so that the tips of his toes are off the ground is that normal....also the poor baby is missing a finger on his front right hand (maybe caught in wire in the past?) he is actually a big boy but he has a very wet leaves smell and matted fur right now gave him his first dust bath I practically couldnt get him out of the dust house. He is eating and drank ALOT......now one other things that worries me is he is grinding his teeth not all the time only sometimes but his eyes are clear not watery no lumps on him...other then the few odd things he seems ok....ill def get his teeth checked at the vet...:kiss::kiss:

I was able to get a bottom half of a fn for him on craigslist for $50 yay.....this will make my FN 3 layers after the 30 day quarintine and as long as introductions go well after that but here are some pictures I took of him today i didnt want to stress him out more then he already is one picture shows the odd looking front paw and the others show how he sits sort of rocked back almost as if he is sitting on his "heels" and front toes off the ground :dance3:

Attachments

• 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    34 KB · Views: 75
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    5.3 KB · Views: 79
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    36.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    56.1 KB · Views: 75
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    25.3 KB · Views: 63
Some more pictures he looks like a chin with only his back legs most of the time he keeps his front pawz tucked away

Attachments

• 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    5 KB · Views: 62
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    5.1 KB · Views: 63
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 62
congrats on your new rescue!! hes cute I cant even image a poor chin loose on the road he is sure one lucky fella, and its good the people were able to catch him !!!!! Good luck with your new chin and him getting adjusted to his new home and you

I don't know....maybe they are sore from being loose. Have the vet check them out, maybe an x-ray to see if they are broken? He should be fine and can adapt if he needs too. Congratulations! You have a friend for life!

Congratulations and your awesome for taking him in! What a story! Do you have a name yet?

I don't know....maybe they are sore from being loose. Have the vet check them out, maybe an x-ray to see if they are broken? He should be fine and can adapt if he needs too. Congratulations! You have a friend for life!

I was going to say this. I was just about to ask if maybe his front paws are swollen :( poor thing, I'm so glad he come to you.

i was able to get vet appointment moved up...his teeth are fine and no broken bones......but that still doesnt explain why he keeps his arms tucked in....the vet said they are sore from some sort of trauma basically like a pulled muscle possibly but one paw is def deformed and not by birth it he said it looks like an old injury he is missing a finger completely and the others have been shortened may have been done as a baby or older could have been chewed off we may never know.....the other paw is perfectly fine will just need to keep an eye on him....his back legs i have to put antibiotic ointment on them because the pads are damaged on the toes it seems this guy was on some very rough surfaces for a bit. He has no respritory problems no parasites....I didnt forgot to ask if I still have to quarantine him for 30 days what do you guys think
:)

i would still quarantine for the full 30 days, perhaps longer due to the way this chin was found.

as for a name, how about Giant? because he's bigger than Gentle, lol.

I would still most definitely quarantine him for AT LEAST the next 30 days. He needs to get used to his surroundings. Smells, sounds, everything. Putting him in the same room is putting your chinchilla at risk, and putting unneeded stress on this current chinchilla who has been through so much already. Just let him be for a bit and if once all his injuries (the feet, hands, etc) are healed and he seems to be comfortable with his surroundings then you can worry about a possible introduction.

great thank you all so much I do have some really good news...he used his front paws he actually jumped around on the ledges today so we are going in the right direction

Latest posts

Back