I'm kinda worried about my babies

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinchillasrox

I handfed two kits. They are 4 months old. (born June 2nd) Oil the littlest is only 328g, and his brother pepper is 460g. We weaned oli at 240g and pepper at 310. They were weaned at 11 weeks. Is this small for 4 month olds? They are in the bottom half of a ferret nation 182, with no wheel or playtime. If this is small is there anything i can doo for him?
Thanks

It sounds ok to me. the smaller one may just be smaller than the littermate. You might want to make sure there are two food dishes and two water bottles incase one is hogging the goods.

As long as they are eating and drinking and acting normally, I wouldn't worry too much unless they appear to actually be thin. If they feel like they are healthy and aren't bony, it's okay for them to be smaller at this point. Some kits take awhile to start putting on weight...it could be that in two months they both gain 100 grams in a couple of weeks.

Congrats on getting them to make it through with the handfeeding. That really is a tough thing to have to do with kits.

Latest posts

Back