idea's of what i can do..

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marinewifey4433

I'm new to this forum and i getting my first 2 chinchilla's tomorrow :wink2: im going to try to ad pictures to this to show you the cage layout. they are on wire and iv'e read alot on here about what to do but with this type of cage what would be the best to do untill i get a better cage?

Attachments

• chins.jpg
    chins.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 58
  • 3n23ma3o95T25U35P5b16618867e25f191b1c.jpg
    3n23ma3o95T25U35P5b16618867e25f191b1c.jpg
    6.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 3n03pd3ld5Q45P15R0b16f96df3af972e1c8d.jpg
    3n03pd3ld5Q45P15R0b16f96df3af972e1c8d.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 3k83m63lb5O05W25P3b163840c47f73c61294.jpg
    3k83m63lb5O05W25P3b163840c47f73c61294.jpg
    7.7 KB · Views: 52
ooo i had that cage!

for a while, i just left the wire uncovered, but eventually it looked like it hurt gizmo's feets. so i covered it in a layer of fleece (i didnt make/buy fleece liners- just bought a few yards and cut out appropriate sizes)

the ramps can be taken out, theyre not necessary at all. and i bought enough wooded ledges and shelves to remove the wire shelving too.

make sure none of the wires are broken. towards the end of using it, i had to use binder clips to keep the side walls closed together. they just had too much of a gap.

Welcome!

You can get some fleece and line the bottom of the cage with it. Every 2-3 days just switch it out with a fresh fleece and wash the dirty one.

Also, remove those ramps. Besides being dangerous, chins would rather jump!

Wire floor bottoms are ok as long as the spacing is safe - which it looks fine in the pictures - and you give them spaces to rest their feet - the chinchiller provides a solid surface (I see that in the last pic) and you could get some fleece comforters for them to lay on :) I dont know how big the cage is but I would provide at least 3 levels for two chins as far as cage size goes...

yeah i have plans on taking out the ramps. the lady im buying them from told me she had tons of the wooden ledges , they just chose not to use them.. not sure why though. i also have plans on getting rid of the hay ball's they are coming with. and of course changing their food and dust bath. she has them on walmart chinchilla food. and you can tell from the pictures they are picking out the junk food and leaving the pellets. im changing them to mazuri and blue cloud dust. she's also using a brand of walmart dust. and she says they live off bananna chips.. which will be stopped immediatly!

yes. im getting a bigger cage. i ordered it off the ferret nation website. just waiting on it to arrive. the cage that they are in now is not very big. they are coming with 3 cages though so we are going to try to hook them together till the cage comes. my husband's handy like that lol.. their new cage should be in in a couple weeks.

Fleece sounds like your best option, and makes cleaning relatively easy-just watch for signs of chewing on the fleece, you don't want ingesting, and while most chins leave it alone, every one is different:)

Latest posts

Back