I wasn't ready for this.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CJR

the dreamer
I'm not trying to complain unecessarily, or be whiny, or anything like that.

When I saw the ad for Tia on Craigslist and did research on chins, I knew it would be hard. I knew I would have to win her over, that chins take a lot of love to convince. I knew all of that. I was ready for that. I was ready for the biting, the barking, the trying to get a little critter that doesn't like you to like you.

But the fact that she has a broken pelvis... I wasn't ready for that. I wasn't ready to force her into a little carrier, to hear her crying because she hurts, to not be able to let her out to play, to not let her dust, to see her fur get scruffier and scruffier. She didn't eat any of her pellets again today. She's very underweight, she was 600g at the vet last week.

Hearing her cry kills me. She scrunches up in the back of the carrier and just cries when her Metacam wears off.

Seeing that she hasn't eaten kills me. I wasn't ready for this and every day I wonder if maybe she would be better off with someone who actually knows what they're doing, with someone who knows how to take care of chins. Or something. I don't know. Or maybe she would be better off put down.

It kills me to think of that.

I want her to be healthy and happy and I want her to heal, but I don't know if I can take the healing process. Seeing animals in pain/distress just ruins me, you know?

I don't know what to do.

oh ash, i feel so bad. i know its hard and i know what you mean, how much it kills you to hear her cry. its like seeing your baby in distress, a terrible feeling.

but honestly, i think you are the best person to have her. atleast its you and not the couple that let it happen to her. atleast she has a person that does truly care about her and wants her to be happy. your love is the most important thing you can give her. i really hope she heals well and when she does, it will all be worth it to see her hopping around safely and happily.

just talk to her as much as you can, tell her you love her, tell her you're rooting for her, read her a story even! (the little engine that could? :)) thats what she needs most. some days will be harder than others, but thats what we're all here for. sending all my love!:heart5:

Oh wow! I am so sorry to read that! How heart breaking! How long will she be in pain, or should I say how long will it take to heal. Poor Princess. I agree with Kim, just keep on trucking.

I hope she starts to eat soon so you dont have to figure out how to hand feed her, she needs to eat. Poor baby. :( Sending healing vibes.

I powdered some of her pellets with a mortar and pestle and mixed them with water... feeding it to her with an eye dropper. She's actually eating it pretty well. I guess we may have to do this for awhile? I'm okay with that, she's eating. That's all that matters.

I just get so depressed when I'm upset.

Thanks guys. :))

Awe Ash. You are doing well with her. Trust me when I say I know exactly what you are going through. Not long after I started taking in rescues I took in a chin that was paralyzed from the waist down after having a piece of furniture dropped on him. In the week that I had him I became more attached to any other animal I have ever had. After I had to have him put down I questioned taking in any more rescues. I was so heartbroken. He changed my outlook on everything in life and I am so glad I got him, even if he was in my life for a short time.

There is a reason you got Tia, even if you don't see it yet. She may not have gotten any vet care in her previous home, and may still have been sitting there in pain. We aren't given things we can't handle, even if it is extra hard. You are doing a fantastic job with her and I hope you have the strength to continue.

Keep up with the pain meds, as well as continue with the calcium regimen. Hopefully it will heal. If not, you can go down that road then, but don't give up on her just yet. I know seeing her in that tiny carrier hurts you, but as you know it is better for her healing. She is going to be cranky for awhile, but long term it's what's best. Look at it as you being able to bond with her more. You may want to start giving her a bit of critical care with a syringe as well. Chins who are hurt often don't eat well, so that is somewhat normal. I found that after a few hand feedings many of the chins would just take it in the cage without having to take them out and burrito them. If you want I can mail you a bit of CC to try it out until you can get some.

I hope things start to look up for you. Know there are people here rooting for the both of you. This is a very hard thing to deal with as a first time chin owner, but you are doing a fantastic job. If you ever need to talk, or vent, you are more than welcome to PM me. I may not have all the answers, but I'm more than happy to listen.

Oh Ash. My heart is breaking for you both. I'm sorry she is in so much pain. She is getting the best care with you. I wish I had words of wisdom for you other than keep trying. I hope your little princess gets better soon.

I haven't had to burrito her yet for anything. She took the powdered-food-with-water in an eyedropper very, very well - even though she chewed the tip off and got some of it all over her mouth. Ah well. At least she's eating.

I will order some Critical Care tomorrow... should I get Lifeline as well?

She still gets a pellet each of symphytum and calcarea phosphorica each day, along with her metacam. I give her some alfalfa hay every other day and every so often I let her chew on a mineral/calcium chew. She likes those chews a lot, actually.

I just... I have a hormone disorder where my emotions flip quickly and with no warning. For instance, when I wrote this post I was bawling my eyes out and feeling hopeless. Within fifteen minutes, I was like "Quit whining and do something!" and I powdered the pellets... It makes me hard to deal with a lot, I know, and this forum and ALL of you are helping to pull Tia and myself through - one step at a time.

:grouphug:

There is nothing anyone else could do for her that you aren't doing Ash. She's getting cage rest, she's getting pain meds, and she's getting a lot of love and attention. No rescue or pet owner could do any better.

When she cries, remember that what you are doing is to help her. Kids cry when they get shots or a leg set that is broken or surgery to remove an appendix. Parents hate it, but they realize it's a necessary evil. You are giving her her best (and only) shot at having something of a decent life, and that's the best you can do.

If she's eating the mashed up stuff well, then let her keep eating it. If it comes to the point where you have to burrito her, then that's going to be another decision you'll have to make, A chin doesn' usually go willingly into a burrito and you would have to be exceptionally careful of her hind legs because of the fracture. For now though, keep on doing what you're doing and we'll keep on sending positive thoughts. :)

You are doing everything right. The only thing I wanted to add was for you to give her free choice timothy hay. Too much alfalfa can cause bloat.

The best things for a pelvic break in a chin are just what you're doing - cage rest and pain meds. It takes time but she'll heal, and you're giving her love and making sure she is otherwise healthy so she can heal. Best of luck to you.

Last August, my 97 yr old mother fell and broke her hip and her pelvis in multiple places. She refused to have surgery. Guess what - with only bed rest, she was perfectly healed and walking again within three months.

So you and Tia have a great chance at success - because you both have the will to make it happen. Keep up the good work! I'll be praying for you both!

Oh Ash, :(
Nothing can really be added to what has already been said.
She is in pain and is normal for her to cry same as we would do in this situation.
I do believe she will come out of this a winner. Has too, she's got a dad that is a winner and taking darn good care of her.

I don't know when you feed her, but if you can, try to arrange the feeding schedule according to her medicine. Feeding her when the meds have their full effects, this way she is focused on eating since there is no pain and will probably eat more.

Godins - She only gets a pinch of alfalfa every other day sprinkled on top of her timothy hay. She always has as much timothy as she wants, it's primarily what she eats.

Saphire - She gets her medicine when I come home from work (around 5-6pm), and then I wait an hour or two until it kicks in and she starts moving around and then I feed her. It's kind of cute the way she takes it from the syringe, but sometimes she gets some of the goop down her chin. It's like feeding a very, very fuzzy toddler... hehe.

Thanks guys, all of you. :)

I use homeopathic remedies for our family and our pets. Here is a remedy to help the bones heal. I bought this one for my daughter when she fractured her arm. Homeopathic remedies can be bought at health stores or online.

For anyone considering using this remedy for a break. THE BONE MUST BE SET FIRST. As this remedy starts to work right away and knit the bone. Remedies are non toxic and safe for infants as well as pets. I just had a gerbil who had an abcess. The vet cleaned it out. I came home and gave him " hypericum " remedy for nerve pain. Being that he was so small I did not know how much to give him. I gave him one pellet. Any part of a remedy not used by the body will exit as waste.

http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=HY110

6Dusters - Have you seen his other thread? The bone is not only not set, it's not anywhere near the other bone it needs to connect to. That's the problem.

I use homeopathic remedies for our family and our pets. Here is a remedy to help the bones heal. I bought this one for my daughter when she fractured her arm. Homeopathic remedies can be bought at health stores or online.

For anyone considering using this remedy for a break. THE BONE MUST BE SET FIRST. As this remedy starts to work right away and knit the bone. Remedies are non toxic and safe for infants as well as pets. I just had a gerbil who had an abcess. The vet cleaned it out. I came home and gave him " hypericum " remedy for nerve pain. Being that he was so small I did not know how much to give him. I gave him one pellet. Any part of a remedy not used by the body will exit as waste.

http://www.elixirs.com/products.cfm?productcode=HY110

Tunes is correct... Tia's pelvis is completely snapped in half. She came to me this way, I found her via Craigslist. I already have her on a homeopathic regimen consisting of one pellet daily of both symphytum and calcarea phosphorica. She is also on a .1cc daily dose of Metacam, but I am going to start doing .05cc twice a day.

pelvisview.jpg

That is her pelvis x-ray.

In other news, I am getting ready to order the Emergency Feeding Kit from QMC (Quality Mutation Chinchillas)... it contains a 5oz pack of Critical Care, .5oz LifeLine and a 60cc feeding syringe... do you guys think I should also get Dyne, too?

Tia seems to have on and off days - some days she eats great, and some days she won't touch anything. I just don't want her to lose any more weight. 600g for a full grown female?

I'm going to get a digital scale as soon as I can and weigh her daily, but money is starting to get very tight around here. (Thank God for credit cards...)

Ash - 600 gm is fine. Some chins are just smaller. You'll see full grown females 500 gm too. Don't worry about the weight, worry about weight loss.

As far as the critical care, 5 ounces is not going to last very long if you're going to be feeding it according to the directions (45-50 mL per day) and even less if you need to up that. It's actually more economical to get the 1 pound pack, and what you don't use throw in the freezer. It's good for a long time once it's frozen and you'll actually save money in case you need more, because you won't have to pay shipping twice.

Make sure the syringe you get is a cather tip. The other kind will not push the critical care out. You will have to water it down so much it will be useless. Since she's not having any gut issues, I don't think Dyne would be a bad idea. You use very little and it gives a little calorie boost. It also gives the CC even more flavor. Check into the canned pumpkin as well, if you can find it.

I know allll about the money issue with this stuff. I've had a girl on CC for over a year, twice a day, after she lost weight from a bad feed switch, then a bad pregnancy. I think I'm going to have her on it for the rest of her life and she's only 4. Yeesh!

Hey Tunes - yeah, I was going also get a big pack of it, too. So I'll have 21oz of CC. QMC is the only place I can find it though, unless I'm not looking hard enough? The syringe it comes with is cathether tip. Sigh... I have applesauce/apple juice and I'm sure I could find canned pumpkin. I also read about grinding up rose hips very very fine (which I can do, we have a marble mortar/pestle that I LOVE) and add that to it...

People are here make a lot of pumpkin-things... canned pumpkin is just pumpkin pie filling, yes? I've read that 1st stage baby food works well, too. I'll figure something out.

I added up all the numbers I could remember and it looks like I've put at least $376 into her in the two weeks I've had her... She is lucky she's cute... ;)

if you cant find the canned pumpkin, you can use baby food squash, stage 1 or 2. it is more readily available. dont use too much, just enough to make the consistancy a little smoother.

i actually bought crushed rose hips and do add a bit to my crushed pellet mix that i feed one of my chins. i buy the syringes from walmart. they are the 10 cc syringes and found in the infant section.

make sure you get the apple bananna critical care. menagerie sells is and her price is excellant and she will get it to you quickly. i belive the proceeds benefit her rescue. i keep mine in the fridge but reading that it can be put in the freezer is awesome, so i will move it ther tonight!

you are doing an amazing job. dont get discouraged. she is SO SO lucky to have someone in her life that actually cares for her. and when you get into one of your frustrated moods, just come on here and go into chat or post a message. there is always someone on line for support!!!

i have been handfeeding my one chin for almost a year. and would do it for the rest of his life if i needed to. you get into a groove and it becomes second nature.

Document your journey.......it will help you deal with the issues and also prove the progress!

edit: oh and canned pumpkin needs to be the plain canned pumpkin not the one with pumpkin pie spice. also if you are grinding up rosehips, maybe use a coffee grinder, otherwise it may get stuck iin the syringe. i bought a 10 dollar coffee grinder at walmart and use it to grind all my pellets, lifeline, and was using for rosehips until i bought powdered. it makes it smoother and goes thru the syringe so much better.

we have all dropped a lot of money on our chins, especially when sick. last year alone on just Richie, I spent close to $1500 on visits, xrays and meds.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back