I think my chin is lonely

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think I'll give him awhile....and myself awhile too. I've only had dogs and cats my whole life....so this is new to me just like the enviroment is new to him.

My girl will call out during the day (and at night too). She is obviously more active at night, but if I'm here during the day and making noise downstairs she'll get up and jump around (and sometimes bark).

I would read up on cage mates on this site and see if you are prepared for it. Sometimes they take to each other really well, and other times...they can go as far as to kill each other in the middle of the night. :( You have to go into it with the mentality that you may have to have two cages for the rest of their lives if they don't get along. I asked that very same question (on CnQ forum) years ago, and have decided that I am happy being my girl's playmate. :)) I'm not ready to take a chance that I could end up with two cages, or big fights and lose my girl!

I know that I need to consider everything that could go wrong....and also think about things that could be positive too! I have read that they are colony animals....and that they like to be with others. I know I could be his playmate....but is it truly the same?

I would love to send pictures...but do not have a way to right now! But as soon as I can....I will!!!!

but its hard to find breeders here in New Hampshire.

Ah, never fear. Next show season, you'd be surprised what you can get up in your neck of the woods. I myself have chins in VT, MA, and CT and I live in SD. Lots of transporting goes on during show season. :)

A show? Where do they take place? When do they take place? Could Bailey be in a show?

The two closest to you would be in NY or in PA. But lots of people travel from your way to MCBA Nationals which is in Auburn, or to a couple shows in Ohio, and some even went to Empress Nationals this past year, which was in St. Louis.

Yes, any chin can be shown. It's a lot of fun, even if he ends up not doing so well. You get to meet some great people and network in your area a bit. Put some names to some faces from here as well.

Not all chins need a buddy. I have on chin who just will not get along with another chin. So I don't push her to. And also, if you were to get another chin, there is honestly no guarantee that they will like each other. It's the chance you have to take. Also, chins in pairs or groups can turn on another and fight, sometimes even to death.
So, I just wanted to point out that it isn't necessary to have multiple chins living together.

Chances are, his sound is a bark, and that just means he's scared. Chins take some time to get used to their environment and sometimes they make that sound. Just give him time.

You could be his playmate and he'll be happy since he doesn't know what its like to have a catemate. Or you could get him a cagemate and see how it goes too. It all depends really on what YOU want. Chins are just fine being a sole chin, just like they don't need treats. Its us, the spoiling humans, that like to give them what we think the need: wheel, HUGE cage, catemates, toys galore, treats, etc. Its up to you, I just wanted to point out some of the cons since we all know the pros in this situation. :))

ETA: Wanted to add that my girls has a huge cage (4'tall x 3'wide) and its allll for her. She has tons of fleece items, (healthy) treats, toys, I've bought paintings from Mae, and I'm working on a new theme for her cage. :rofl: But like I said, she doesn't need these things, I want her to have them. If you really want a second chin, then go for it! But I just wanted to stress that chins don't need a cagemate. I've also heard they bond more with you if you are their playmate. :))

Last edited:
You could be his playmate and he'll be happy since he doesn't know what its like to have a catemate. Or you could get him a cagemate and see how it goes too. It all depends really on what YOU want. Chins are just fine being a sole chin, just like they don't need treats. Its us, the spoiling humans, that like to give them what we think the need: wheel, HUGE cage, catemates, toys galore, treats, etc. Its up to you, I just wanted to point out some of the cons since we all know the pros in this situation. :))

ETA: Wanted to add that my girls has a huge cage (4'tall x 3'wide) and its allll for her. She has tons of fleece items, (healthy) treats, toys, I've bought paintings from Mae, and I'm working on a new theme for her cage. :rofl: But like I said, she doesn't need these things, I want her to have them. If you really want a second chin, then go for it! But I just wanted to stress that chins don't need a cagemate. I've also heard they bond more with you if you are their playmate. :))

Oops, meant that my girl has a huge cage...not girls. I only have one.

Tunes-NY is like I guess 5 hours from me...even if I just went to see for myself without Bailey this time.

Alli713 & Cinder and Me- I know that I can be his playmate and he'll be happy....and that he may or may not be happy with a cage buddy. I just want to do whatever it takes to make him happy!

addictedtochins- what kind of diet would he need to be on? He is just a standard gray chinchilla....I mean compared to the whites...blacks....and tans I've seen he isn't anything special except that he is my baby!!!

He doesn't need a special diet, he just needs to be on good quality pellets and hay.

Tradition
Oxbow
APD
Kline
Nutrena
PANR
Mazuri

Those are pretty much the preferred chin pellets around here.

What is everything he is eating now incl. treats? What is his brand is his dust? Blue Cloud is truely just the best, you may have to order it from someone on here they don't sell it in stores. I ruined Tibbits coat with a flea comb. It took too much of his fur out and proper chin combs are expensive. It doesn't matter that he is a standard, there are classes for all colors and lots of standards at shows. Go if you can, you won't regret it and you'll learn so much. Everyone here will be glad to help you. Theresa

We don't feed him any treats right now because I was unsure about what was good for him....I got some vitamin sticks with the starter kit...but I haven't given him any because I didn't know if they were truly good for him. They are different colors with sprinkle type things that were different colors on them. He is eating Nutriphase Gold...that is what food came with him when I got him. The dust is Kaytee brand....I give him bottled water...that is okay right?

Get rid of the food and go with one of the one's I mentioned above. Other than Oxbow or Mazuri, anything at a pet store is basically not the greatest food. Same thing with the hay. There are a few brands at the store that are okay, but most are like the Kaytee hay - all stemmy and dry.

Kaytee dust, again, is not the best dust. You can't get the best in the pet stores. It's Blue Cloud and you usually get it on line or from someone who keeps a good store of it (a rancher or breeder).

Bottled water is fine, as long as it isn't spring water. Reverse osmosis or water filtered through a level 3 filter (to screen out giardia) is good. Wal-Mart has both.

The hay right now that he is getting is sun cured western cut timothy hay which again came with him. That is all the package says on it. Is Kaytee dust okay for now? What hay should I get?

So I basically have to get a credit/debit card just for Bailey :laughitup:

Back