I think I'm pregnant...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
K

KristinC1983

So, I can take a test in a week and find out if I'm pregnant, but being cranky and super tired and throwing up (plus more:p) I don't think I even need a test to tell me I am! So, being a chin-mom (of my one beautiful boy), is there anything I should know about being pregnant and caring for my chin-son?! Should I be wearing gloves now while cleaning his cage or something? He's a super clean little boy, but you know more than I do. My human daughter was just turning 3 when we got him, so this is new for me! Thanks:)

There's nothing specific you need to do. I would teach your husband/SO how to clean for when you are in the hospital, but other than that you should be fine.

Some people choose to wear masks when cleaning cages which is good practice even when you aren't pregnant. And they don't stay around the chins when they're dusting or they have someone else do the dusting.

As with anything when you're pregnant be sure to discuss your chinchilla ownership with your OB-Gyn. As far as I remember the only thing they don't want pregnant women doing is to change or come in contact with a cat litter box or cat feces. But just to cover all basis make sure your OB-Gyn does know you have a chinchilla and you come in contact with it's "waste"

I am pregnant and don't worry about the chinchillas at all. Already sick? usually that doesn't happen until 6-8 weeks LOL. I got reall sick at about 7 then went away by 14 weeks. Any way. I wear a mask when dusting but with 100 I was doing that any way. No litter boxes, sushi or soft cheeeses, lunch meat, hot dogs...there is more good luck cause I swear like the only thing you can take is tylenol and only if absoulutly necessary. There are a lot of rules. Thankfully chinchillas are ok. just wash your hands you should be fine

Tel your OB but you should be fine. I know there are some pets they advise us to stay away from.

I had to re home my red ear sliders because they naturally carry salmonella so I couldn't handle them and my x husband and son refused to take care of them for a few months. (even thought the X got them for my son) :( I still miss them but I know the lady who has them and they are doing wonderful in a bigger tank then I had them in :)

btw, get you some fresh ginger root (in the fresh produce section) it is wonderful for morning sickness.

Congrats!!

:congrats4: on being :expecting:!

I have not been pregnant in a while so I do not know if things have changed or not since I was, but I remember being told to limit my time around turtles, reptiles and anything else that could carry salmonella. And , of course, the cat litter boxes. But other than that, I was allowed to handle the hamsters, gerbils and guinea pigs that friends and family had.

But, as everyone has said, be sure to let your OB know that you have chins and that you will have to come in contact with the poo and pee and dust from them. And also, limit your intake of tuna because of the possible mercury levels in it. And I have a recipe for a peppermint milk shake that does wonders for morning sickness! :thumbsup:

:babydust:

As far as cat litter goes, if you wear gloves, you can clean a litter box. The risk there is from toxoplasmosis, and as long as you protect yourself, it's not a huge deal.

CONGRATS ON THE BABY!!!

As long as you aren't eating the poop, I would think you would be okay. Just take normal precautions, and if wearing gloves makes you feel safer, wear gloves. I agree with everyone else in terms of telling your doctor/OB-GYN.

BEST WISHES!!! :) :) :)

Usually if you're having symptoms, you can test. Usually symptoms don't start until your levels are high enough to show on the test, usually at least three or four weeks in.

But other than that, I was allowed to handle the hamsters, gerbils and guinea pigs that friends and family had.

The occurrences are not frequent, but because the consequences are catastrophic in unborn children, you shouldn't handle mice, hamsters (Syrian not dwarf hamsters) and guinea pigs when pregnant. The lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) is not uncommon (especially in house mice) and can cause abortion or serious defects in the unborn child.

As some of you may remember, there was an instance about five years ago on the East Coast when three of four transplant recipients died after the donor had LCMV from a Petsmart hamster.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm54d526a1.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/13/5/719.htm?s_cid=eid719_e

Animals with the virus are in the commercial breeding system. Thousands of rodents have been killed when the virus was found in various commercial breeding facilities. Petsmart has a lawsuit to deal with Right after this incident, Petco added warnings to their care sheets and signage in the stores, and of course Petsmart has also taken increased care.

Linda

Something I discovered in the last 9 months (39 weeks pregnant here): if you have allergies normally, you can probably expect them to get worse while pregnant. I had some slight irritation with his dust and hay before getting pregnant, but I've been miserable during my pregnancy.

The occurrences are not frequent, but because the consequences are catastrophic in unborn children, you shouldn't handle mice, hamsters (Syrian not dwarf hamsters) and guinea pigs when pregnant. The lymphocytic choriomeningitis virus (LCMV) is not uncommon (especially in house mice) and can cause abortion or serious defects in the unborn child.

As some of you may remember, there was an instance about five years ago on the East Coast when three of four transplant recipients died after the donor had LCMV from a Petsmart hamster.

http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm54d526a1.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/eid/content/13/5/719.htm?s_cid=eid719_e

Animals with the virus are in the commercial breeding system. Thousands of rodents have been killed when the virus was found in various commercial breeding facilities. Petsmart has a lawsuit to deal with Right after this incident, Petco added warnings to their care sheets and signage in the stores, and of course Petsmart has also taken increased care.

Linda

Is this including all rodents? Sunny (my chin) is from a private breeder in PA. She has a LOT of chins and many litters a year, but he isn't from a petshop. Should I be worried? What I know now, I'm not so sure she's a reputable breeder...but he's a great little guy, healthy and happy. He has seriously fantastic fur, too, but I'm sure many petshop chins do as well...

Something I discovered in the last 9 months (39 weeks pregnant here): if you have allergies normally, you can probably expect them to get worse while pregnant. I had some slight irritation with his dust and hay before getting pregnant, but I've been miserable during my pregnancy.

And yes, his dust AND shedding gets to me a little, so YAH:( But now I'm not as sure I am pregnant. I've done 2 tests so far, both negative, but technically my period isn't late yet, so I'm just being impatient with the testing, lol! I'm going to wait till the first of October to test again. It is driving me CRAZY!!!! But I am having quite a few symptoms that I've been getting wway too early for it to be PMS, so ccross your fingers for me:)

And yes, his dust AND shedding gets to me a little, so YAH:( But now I'm not as sure I am pregnant. I've done 2 tests so far, both negative, but technically my period isn't late yet, so I'm just being impatient with the testing, lol! I'm going to wait till the first of October to test again. It is driving me CRAZY!!!! But I am having quite a few symptoms that I've been getting wway too early for it to be PMS, so ccross your fingers for me:)

I was 6 months pregnant with my first one and I was still failing pregnancy tests! :wacko: Keeping finger and paws crossed here that ti turns out the way you want it!

Good luck to you..but it is really to early for pregnancy symptoms as well. Mourning sickness doesn't usually kick in until you are about 6-8 weeks. I didn't get sick until around 9 weeks and it only lasted until about 16 weeks.

Latest posts

Back