I think I need to give up my chins :(

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeeleyAnne

Buddha & Moose (:
This is really really sad for me to say. My husband and I have had our chins for over a year, and they have been our favorite pets ever. We've had or first baby, who is now 6 weeks old, and it's gotten really hard to take care of them. We have them set up in a two story critter nation with fleece liners, and after only one day, they REEK of pee. We live in a basement, so it gets stuffy and doesn't air out. We used to have tons of time to let them out to play everyday, and now with our baby, we just don't have the time or space to let them play. It makes me so sad, but I know there is someone out there that can give them the attention they deserve.

It's so sad for us because these chins have been our babies! We've had Buddha since he was 10 weeks old, and Moose since he was 5 months. I've learned SO much from this site, and now I'm nervous about finding the right people to take them. I'm also nervous about it because I want the 2 chins to go together. They are best friends and I know they will be SO sad if they get split up.

I guess this post is pretty pointless, but this has been stressing me out for weeks! :(

I have room available to take them in and find them a home. if you need my help please let me know.

You could always switch them over to shavings instead of fleece and see if that helps with the smell, but it sounds like you've already decided that they won't be staying with you.

I have about 30 chins and they never smell and I clean cages once a week. Have you tried other types of bedding or cage options? Playtime isn't a reason to get rid of them. There are many chins that don't get a playtime and are just fine.

Play time in most houses (note I did not say all...) is an accident waiting to happen. Unless you have a area/room just for chins for playtime... it's not worth it for me to risk hurting a chin because they look cute running around. In return I don't have to dig a chin out from a couch or under a bed. I've never accidentally stepped on one, put a chair on one, or kicked on... Most injuries to chins I've seen have been due to something at "playtime". Just again, my opinion.

I'm going to agree with Riven on the fleece. I've never understood it either, and it may make sense with one chin but it sure doesn't with over 50. We use wire bottom cages and a pelleted recycled newspaper litter called Yesterday's News. Our vet does not like any shavings, even kiln dried; says they can still irritate the respiratory tract. We do use Carefresh in our nest boxes and some of our weaning cages and I've noticed the rampage against it on the forum here, but we've used it for over 18 years and never had an animal eat it, EVER. Do you have ventilation at all? When it's warm, ammonia will build up much quicker. The litter we use mentioned above keeps it down. We also have an air purifier and I don't change litter except once a month. We have large cages but even the small holding cages, I change once a week, maybe twice a week, depending on the animal(s) in there. When you DO clean the cage, only a mild bleach solution will kill the bacteria and any fungus. You can check that with a vet too.

I agree with Riven and Sue. Ditch the fleece. That will help with the smell a lot. As far as playtime goes, do they have wheels in their cages? A good wheel in their cage will help them get exercise and burn off excess energy. They don't need to come out for playtime everyday. I know several members on this forum that don't do playtime and their chins are fine. Now that it's summertime here, my chins don't come out of their cages at all. I don't have A/C except in their room, so they would overheat if they came out into their playpen. They have Ferret Nations with wheels and are doing just fine. Just some options to consider before rehoming them.

Ok, maybe we should try shavings again. When I only had one chin, the shavings were fine, and it didn't get stinky. They have a flying saucer wheel in their cage. The only problem is I need a bottom that will let me use shavings. Has anyone had success in building a bottom out of wood? I know about the bass pans, but I don't think their 2" pans would be high enough to keep wood shavings in.

My baby is four weeks old, my poor chinnies only get one cage change a week instead of the normal two, and I barely have had time to give them a few scritches every few days let alone play time. But remember the baby will only be a baby for a short time, the chinnies will pull through it fine. =) If you have family near by try asking them for help with chores like cage cleaning, it can help relieve the stress on you as a new mom!

If you do have to give them up, think about finding a friend/family member that would care for them for a few months while your house hold adjusts to the new tempo of having a child.

Its sad to hear how youre feeling. We got our two boys from a new mom who couldnt care for them anymore with her son.
But the smell can be solved with changing from fleece to shavings -i left my female with my parents for a month whilst traveling, i came home and they told me they couldnt figure out how to remove her pan (left ledge and pull but..) it was a month, with about 4" of shavings and it had NO smell.

She likes to dig hence the deepness of the shavings

If you chins pee in the same place all the time then you might want to try litter box training them.

My little girl is very particular and trained in 1 day. This saves on litter and is very easy to change the soiled litter once a day.

I got a galvanized corner litter pan from chinchillathings.com and it's been great.

Sorry to hear about your situation and hope you can work things out so you can keep your beloved friends.

Ditch the fleece! Unless your chinchillas are litter trained you either have a) a disgusting cage or b) a pain in the butt because you have to change the liners all the time. I tried fleece because it was suggested on here (and it's pretty cute) and I had to change everyday, no exceptions or it smelled like pee. My boys will not use a litterbox, but they have reliable places they pee so I use carefresh and spot clean the pee spots and vacuum poo when I have time, and super clean every 2 weeks or so.

I don't understand the carefresh hate on here. It works well for me, absorbs pee great, doesn't smell, and isn't as dusty as the wood shavings. My boys don't eat it though.

I have the bass pans, and squeeze ~9" cardboard around the sides to keep the mess in. The boys like to chew it, and my mess is kept down. Everyone is happy :)

Ok, maybe we should try shavings again. When I only had one chin, the shavings were fine, and it didn't get stinky. They have a flying saucer wheel in their cage. The only problem is I need a bottom that will let me use shavings. Has anyone had success in building a bottom out of wood? I know about the bass pans, but I don't think their 2" pans would be high enough to keep wood shavings in.

In response to question about building a bottom out of wood. I had a friend make wooden floors to replace the plastic trays in my Critter Nation. They are made out of 3/4 inch poplar and cost about $200 for the 4 shelves. They work great. I put granite floor tiles on top for cooling and to help keep the cage clean. I also attached hand made scatter guards to the outside of the cage to keep the poop in the cage.

Love having a solid floor. That and having Lola litter box trained is a great time and money saver. Less litter used and easier to clean.

I tried fleece and hated it, not only does it stink but every time I would put it in the washing machine I would end up with hay and poop in my machine. Then of course there is the risk of damage being done to the machines by the dust. Went back to using shavings and am much happier.

I have a step by step for making wood surrounds for CN and FN's on my site. I used pine, cost was like... $25 depending on how many shelves you want and such.

Back