I need to stop...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xohbrandixoh2013

I currently have 4 chinchillas of my own but, lately I've been going on craigslist. I see all of these chinchillas that I want to adopt. I'm currently trying to get a "pair" from someone. As long as it's a reasonable price. The only problem is that according to this seller the "pair" is male/female. With my luck she is probably pregnant. I don't want to breed chins but I'd rather save them than have them go to the SPCA or something. I don't know if it's a good idea but I always feel really bad for them and I just want to save them. :(

yep, I have the exact same problem. 4 chins right now but I always find myself looking on craigslist just to see whats out there. I know I can't get any more right now but its so hard! My boyfriend thinks I am nuts.

It would be best to just not look at these things if at all possible.

Trust me, I take in a lot of unwanted chins. Unless you are willing to devote most of your life to chins, taking in all the chins that need help isn't feasible. That is why I am always cleaning up after chins, having playtime groups and generally working from the second my eyes pop open in the morning until I have to go to bed.

Although, if you take in one or two and give those chins a good life, it would help out a lot. The chins would be grateful. :) As with anything, you have to know your limits. (And, don't be like me because I push my limits all the time...)

I feel the same way! I always check out Craigslist! I seldom ever try to get any chinchillas, because people always want ridiculous rehoming fees and it's just not feasible for me. I did try to get one that was in absolute horrendous conditions, but it died before I even contacted the person :(

I just shake my head when I see people trying to rehome their chinchilla for 200-300 dollars. I'm not paying that kind of money when I will have to toss all the "supplies" anyway.. lol. It's best to just stay off there. Within the last couple of months I've looked on Craigslist, I haven't seen any chins in bad conditions. Sure, they didn't have all the toys and stuff I provide for mine, but most looked to be decently cared for. That is quite surprising!

I agree, I can't believe how ridiculous the "rehoming fees" are for some of these chins, especially chins that are being sold with a small plastic cage, all plastic accessories, etc. People are crazy if they think they are going to get that much.

There has been one post in the chicago area for a while though that is a person who clearly knows A LOT about chins, I wouldn't be surprised if they are a member on here. They have a FN and a CN that are totally decked out with some incredible wood set ups, the chins came from ABC Chins (I think thats what its called) and one other breeder I have heard mentioned on here, and they look really healthy. I hope they find a home that will take as good of care of them as their current owner does. I would take them if I had the space/could afford it :/ but I can't get any more chins until I have my own house in which they will have their own room :)

I've emailed a few people on CL and told them the petstore took them for a ride and the $100s of supplies they have are not suitable for long term use. Also people who want $300 for a standard because that's what the petstore or someone else charged. I'm not mean about it but most don't listen or use any of the forums and websites I direct them to.

Maybe when i have a house and can devote more than random little sections of the condo livingroom to cages I can do some chin rescuing. Although I'm not sure my husband is going to let me sell any of the ones we plan to breed. lol

I know I can't adopt them all, it makes me sad. I love the chins I have my two boys love coming out of their cage and sitting on me and running around. My girls are shy but they let me pet them and smell my hand. I just see people posting their chins on craigslist and want to save them. The ones I've seen aren't badly priced they want 150 for the "pair". To me that isn't too bad since I paid 150 for my petstore chin Loki. It just get annoyed because of the things they say like "this pair can produce the rare brown velvet". I'm not a breeder but are brown velvets very rare? They just make it seem like chinchillas are so easy to care for when they take time and dedication. :( sigh...

Brown velvet isn't too hard to get. Beige seems pretty common. At least here. They can't really be carriers of brown velvets though. You need a velvet and a beige. You are either crossing a tov and a beige or you already have a brown velvet. Neither gene is a full recessive that can be carried hidden.

Like I said I'm not a breeder and I don't really intend to be anytime in the near future. It's just people try to make them sound rare. I didn't think they were. I'm assuming these are pet store chins they are breeding since they don't mention any pedigrees. I just want to save them :/

While it is hard to resist CL chins, I think it is important to know your limits. If you feel that you already have enough to handle, it's best to give the chinchillas you do have the best life possible.

I currently have 20 chins and that is my limit. I was rescuing, but have had to turn animals away, because I feel like I have enough. It gets expensive, especially if they get sick.

Also, you never know how your life will change and the animals deserve a longtime commitment.

I avoid CL, I just have to.

I avoid CL. Too many times I've found myself almost contacting people for their unwanted chins. However, I know I'm at my limit with the fatties I have. Heck, there are some days that I think I'm over my limit. Those are always cage cleaning days. :)

Know your limits. If you can rescue more great! If not, don't beat yourself up over it. The last think you want to do is not be able to give your current chins the attention they deserve. Trust me, it's not a good feeling.

I know the feeling lol. We have 5 chins now with 2 more coming. There's Rosie (dark standard/ Eb carrier), Lilly (violet), Elli (silver mosaic) Severus ( standard/ BD carrier) and Albus (light standard) On the way are Lucius (pink white) and Sirius (standard baby) They are all my babies! We have 2 double level CN cages decked out with tubes, hammocks, wood shelves , houses and wooden hay boxes and fleece liners--all made by me. I spoil them a little lol Note-we are Harry Potter geeks hence all the Potter names! (Rosie and Elli were named prior) They are like chips, you can't have just one!

@matildamom: Harry Potter geek here as well, so please allow me to say this: i love the names of your chinnies!! :DD

OT: i try to avoid CL too. i've seen too many chinnies on there and i feel really bad 'cause i can't afford to adopt them. :(

I'm right there with you. It breaks my heart to see all these unwanted and discarded chinchillas all over Cl. My wife says that I have too big of a heart and that I want to rescue them all. Right now I understand that I too have reached my limit and can't do anymore at this time.

Back