i need advice...

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mommyslittlechins2010

I'm looking to get three male chins.. i knwo not to put them toegether with my ladies cause i'll ahve babies all over the place.. now i was told the three males together in a cage and set the cage in the same roomas the females .. that whent eh females wouldgo into heat that the male chins would see who will be the domant one thying to get to the girls !

i wanna know if that si true or a myth.. casue i know when you breed thier all int he same room seperate cages and nothing happends in the cages .. and thier fine ..

Everyone has different experiences. I have males together in the same cage, with other girls in the room, and no problem, but that's my own personal experience. I do have the male here and there that under no circumstances would they tolerate another male in the cage with girls near by.

Every chinchilla is different and each one will act differently to certain situations. Some males may start to act antsy and will chew the bars of their cage excessively and may get into scuffs with cage mates while other males can be totally unfazed by a females heat cycle.

I personally do not have a problem with my chinchillas sharing a room as no fights have broken out if a female is in heat nearby housed males.

I have a pair of males in an FN with one female above, one below, and 2 right next to them and never had a fight.

I have male pairs in the chinchilla room..no issues with most, But I have had males fight. I have also had females fight. I think it has more to do with individual chinchillas than gender

I have male pairs in the chinchilla room..no issues with most, But I have had males fight. I have also had females fight. I think it has more to do with individual chinchillas than gender

Same here. There is more fighting amoungst males than females. Most same sex pairs are fine though. You can't tell which ones will react to opposite sex chins in the room.

I also have 2 males in the same room with females, though the females are on the other side of the room. The males are not housed together but I have seen no signs like LittleTrinkets described, from either of them. I agree that it has to do with the individual chin and its own personality.

I have 1 male/male pair that has been together for years without any major issues in a room full of breeding animals. I do have a quad of males together right now waiting for homes, who are also doing ok together next to my breeders.

However, I've also had males that fought and needed to be seperated. It all depends on the chins. If you do get the 3 males, just remember you may need to have 1 cage for each chin down the line if things do go badly.

Back