I need advice on hand feeding a kit,please

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tanya

My girl gave birth yesterday at about 8 am, I knew the day so I was there with her. We have 1 beautiful kit, 60g.This kit is my first.
She is a first -time mom and does not have enough milk. I was giving her nettle to help milk come in, but it does not seem to help . She does not drink much. I tried offering mix ( water+cranberry), rose hips tea. Nothing helps. So now she has just has plain water and drinks a little.
The kit is 57g today(lost 3g). He is trying to nurse trying different nipples,I hear funny sounds as if he is eating, but her nipples are small and he is scratching her tummy sometimes. His belly does not look full but tail starts to curl up. Mom is in heat, and she behaves crazy, she is jumping on wire and make lots of mating sounds. She used to live in the big cage and is not happy to be in the small one. She was sitting next to the door all day yesterday and all night, when she sees me she begs to be out. The dad is in another room, she can not see him. The cage is in my bedroom, I was checking on the kit almost every hour during the night.
I tried hand feeding ( goat milk+ baby rice), but the kit hated it. I put one drop on his lip , he tasted it and did not like it.He keeps on wiping his lip with the paw. I tried several times.:cry2: Maybe I should try kitten formula? I've heard some people use it and they like it.I think he just did not like goat milk (I used fresh whole goat milk)
Advice is greatly appreciated. I just want to feed the kit and what room temperature do you recommend? I covered 3 sides of the cage with the blanket and one side is open, so they get air.Thank you very much!

I would sit back and relax for now, honestly. It's been one day, and most kits will drop a few grams over night. You were in and out all night, every hour so mom has been jumpy--and chances are THAT is why the kit may not be getting enough milk. Relax today, let mom and baby go--stop bugging them, and see if baby gains by tonight/tomorrow. Give mom hay, even some alfalfa as well.

I think you are rushing things way too fast. Again, it is very normal for them to drop weight the first 24 hours. They need time alone, to bond, and so baby can get a good suckle.... Just let them be until the end of the day.

I was once told by a rancher that if a baby dies in the first 48ish hours, it is NOT due to no milk, but an illness that would have killed them anyway...anything after the 48-3 days is no food...he'll be fine, provided he is a healthy baby the rest of the day.

Thank you Megan.
I will wait and will not bug them. She has loose alfalfa, timothy and mountain grass + pellets.

Tanya,

I think that is your best bet. When I first started breeding, I constantly checked the kits too-I think we all do. I now just let them be the first 24 hours- I may pull them out and quickly sex them, just do a quick glance and see how they look but they go back with mom and aren't touched until the next day. I have over the few years I've been breeding really came to think letting mom and baby do their thing is the best thing I can do, and only step in when I really have to.

If baby is holding his tail high and curled, that is a good sign :). If you are really worried, pull him out tonight before bed and see if he gained any of the 3 grams back, if he did start to gain anything--let him with mom over night by himself, and weigh him in the morning to see if he gained anything more.

The first day I try to let them be. I will weigh at birth and check on them periodically especially with big litters but with new moms I leave them alone as much as possible the first day or two

One day is definitely not enough to determine if mom has milk. I agree with Megs - go watch a movie and leave them alone. If you were a first time mom, and someone kept flipping on a light, poking, and prodding you - you'd be pretty jumpy and not real cooperative too.

Come to think of it, they DO do that to you when you're a first time mom in the hospital. :)

Ditto everything Megs said. Just give her a little time and congrats on the new bebbie!

Thank you , Ladies!
I just hope he gains weight by tonight or tomorrow.

I weighed the kit yesterday evening and he gained 1 gram (58g)
today in the morning his weight is the same 58g
So, It's been 48 Hours(he lost 3 grams and gained 1g back)
Do I need to start hand feeding or should I wait more? Thank you so much!

Nope, let him be. 1 gm is 1 gm, and as long as he isn't losing now, give it a little more time. It can take several days for moms milk to come in, especially a new mom.

Yep, if he's not losing, he's eating something. Let him be for another day or two. I'm sure you'll start to see more gain soon.

Thank you all for the replies!
Kit is gaining weight , he is 80g. He also tries hays and when I give mom the supplement he wants to steal some from her!
He is just so funny, when I call him he always gets out of the house and wants to play with me! I do not have any good pictures now, I got one 2 days ago , but I did not want to use flash. Please forgive, it's so blurry.

Attachments

• baby.jpg
    baby.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 19
Wonderful to hear that he's doing so well! He's a cutie too. :)

Tammy - ChinnieChantel is in Florida. I bet she could help you out with an ebony if you asked nice. :)

Tammy - ChinnieChantel is in Florida. I bet she could help you out with an ebony if you asked nice. :)

We did have 3 gorgeous ebonies born and I can't keep them all, sadly! The hardest part about breeding is definitely not turning the whole house into a giant chinnie shrine and keeping all the babies. My mentor warned me, I knew I had to start selling more, but it does not get easier.

I constantly think about getting a bigger house so I can have more chins...about quitting my great job to breed even though I know it is ridiculous and I could never pay back my 130k in student loans without it. So, boring corporate law it is for another 3-4 years and then maybe I can re-think the issue ;)

Back