I need a new car :-( Help?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a 2006 Ford Fusion. I think it's the most amazing car ever, but I'm probably biased. The only time I've had to take it to the shop is to get the oil changed/tires rotated. I get about ~30MPG in the city, and the new Hybrid ones get even more. I have no idea on price, though, because mine was a graduation gift. All of my immediate family has Fords and Hondas, and no problems at all here.

I saw you had looked at a Mini, and just wanted to let you know that they are great to own while under warranty, fun to drive and get great gas mileage. Once the three year warranty is up, the cost of upkeep is outrageous. I had to have brake pads (just the pads, not the rotors) and it cost me $600.

Chinmama-you got seriously ripped! I'd go and get 3 written estimates from competitors, and go back there for a partial refund!
If they won't do it, just mention filing a BBB complaint, and/or the village - town that issues their license! Also get a price for pads at Auto Zone.
I've managed a few auto maintainance shops, and that's flat outrageous!
I know dealers are hurting, but that's insanity!!!

I really think that things like which brand is best are going to depend on a person's experience with their car. For instance, my boyfriend drives a Kia, it was my sister's before that, and he's had no major issues at all with it. It's also well over 50,000 miles on it. I can't remember what it's at but I think it's getting close to 70,000. In the past I had a Hyundai and I loved it. I had no issues with it.

Now I have a Nissan Sentra and I love it. It was my dad's before me. In the past we've owned many different Nissans.

So while one person may have a horrible experience with a specific type of car, others won't. I think you just need to go with what you like best.

My mother is on her second Kia. A lot of them have issues. Mom's haven't had any major mechanical issues, but I will never buy a Kia.

Her first Kia, the check engine light went on and off all the time and the dealer couldn't figure out why. Six month after she bought the car, we were driving home from Utah. First a front tire blew (the tire had a defect, but because we were not able to take it to a Kia dealer we were out of luck for reimbersement). Then (same trip) the weather stripping around the windshield started coming off and the windshield started detaching from the car in one corner. Um, yeah that's safe!.To top it off, the car never got the gas mileage that it should have.

So she traded it in for another Kia, thinking she'd just got a lemon. They gave her a good deal, but the second car has issues as well. The check engine light in this one goes on and off all the time too. The dealer said it was an O2 sensor...well its been in 3 times and each time they say its an o2 sensor, replace it, and the light still goes on and off. And the power locks on this one have quite a sense of humor....you unlock the car and it immediately locks again before you can open the door. Sometimes it takes 5 or 6 tries to open the door because the car keeps locking. It'll lock you in sometimes too. There must be a short somewhere, but my mother is fed up with the dealer and is delaying taking it in. This one at least gets great gas mileage. I won't even begin to go into all the issues we've had with the local Kia dealers...they are just idiots.

I've had great luck with Fords & Nissans. My husband sold cars for years & we have never bought an "off the showroom floor" new car. The second you take possesion & drive it off the lot it depreciates 10-20%. You're better off looking at dealer demo cars or a new model certified used car from a dealer. It getting to the time of year that dealers want their demo cars off the books so you can ususally get a good deal. Just don't be afraid to stand up & walk away if the price/payments aren't what you want - if they want the deal they will literally chase you down to close the deal.

Latest posts

Back