I hope our chins will love this as much as we already do!!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
Ian and I have been hard at work preparing the cage for our new little buddies. We went to Ace Hardware and found Kiln-Dried 2x6x4 Pine boards in their scrap bin for $.75 each. We bought three ($2.25) and some Elmer’s Non-Toxic Wood Glue ($4).

Now, we are VERY lucky to work at Lowell Observatory. We have so many good friends up there in all the different departments. Lowell has a very extensive wood shop and, because we are good friends with the crew, we were allowed to use some of the equipment!

We made two houses (pictured below). Ian used a buzz saw to cut the lengths, then I used a 2.5″ wood saw to punch some holes in them. I made a peanut top entrance for one and a couple windows in another. I also used a .75″ piece to punch 4 holes and then Ian used a jigsaw to cut a door. We liked the way it looked, but it was a little involved, so for the next two doors we made, we used the jigsaw for the whole thing.

Note: House #2 had some bent wood, so the roof will look off, it is airtight though, no chinnie feets are getting stuck in there!

I then glued everything together and Ian clamped it. While I was doing my drilling, Ian was making something totally unique and special. Yes, he was making the USS Enterprise. Our chins will be named James Tiberius Kirk and Montgomery Scott (“Scotty”) so what better way to get them into the feel of space than to make them a bed out of wood shaped like the USS Enterprise!?

He used a band saw to cut the boards, power sanded the cockpit and then he wood glued everything. It looked amazing! We are purchasing two fleece pillows to Velcro to the top of the cockpit and the long body under the engines. The engines will be left as perches!

After that, we were done with the wood, so I cut the scraps up and drilled holes in them to make some hanging toys. I bought some food grade dyes, let them sit overnight, and then baked them dry on 200F for 1.5 hours.

We then did some wood-burning. Ian is going to wood burn House #2, I did House #1 and the Starship Enterprise! Check out all of the pictures below!!

Last edited:
House #1

This was my first time wood-burning, so be gentle...

V9Xqk0Ch.jpg

YXtTJnWh.jpg

MQXdb70h.jpg

N71ULpRh.jpg

Last edited:
I think it looks great! Your chins will love them and what a great way to spend time together and create all of this for them.

Love the Enterprise, very unique!

Food grade dyes ... is that food coloring that you can buy at your typical grocery store? If not, where do you find it? I ordered my fleece in giraffe print and my boyfriend came up with the idea to do their cage in a jungle theme. I normally hate that theme ... but with the fleece it makes sense. :eek:P Therefore, I was wanting to dye some of the shelves I make in green to look more "jungley." ;-P

I'm sorry I keep asking you guys so many questions. I just feel like we're kinda in the same boat but you guys are a month ahead of me on everything. Therefore, you guys know everything I need to know! :p

Amazing!
I am not a real handy man, and was allready proud of myself I managed to make the wooden ramps for my ferret nation and hang them in myself.

I really like your wood-burningskillz, as I know it's harder then it looks (easy to hit a woodvein and break up those perfect lines!)
I am wondering, is the USS Chinterprise stable? Like, won't it tilt forward if they sit on the cockpit area?

This really inspired me to try and make some things myself... Or just steal your star trek idea! Muhahahahaha! ;)

Last edited:
Yep. Perfectly stable! I drilled three supports in the back and then balanced two full water bottles on the front, then the middle, then both!

Alli's Fleece Liners just came in, so updated cage pics to come!!!! XD

I'm pretty excited to see pics of your cage once it's all done! My fleece set just got done and should be on it's way here shortly. Plus I just ordered some custom furniture from Christine of Twilight Chinchillas!

Finished!!

Whole cage:
img_1653.jpg

An overview of the top of the cage, not the Star Trek Liners, hanging house, and hammock by Camphor Chins and the pillows from NWI Chins:
img_1647.jpg

Left side view with pyrex currently without litter (for peeing) and Enterprise with bedding!
img_1648.jpg

Right side view of the top with hammock, hanging house, enterprise, etc.
img_1649.jpg

Last edited:
Back