I have a confession

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Raindog

It's a little embarrassing but I am in my 30s and can't ride a bike. It looks like fun and I decided I want to learn so a friend donated a bike to me and my boyfriend is going to teach me. Sunday is Bike Riding Day. I am excited and terrified. Any other "late in life" bike riders? Any advice on learning to ride?

I am 32 this year, I can't ride a bicycle, and I can't swim. I am going to learn swimming soon :) At least we try,right?

Hopefully your teacher has less frightening methods than my father. He taught through a controlled "learn or die" method. For swimming, he threw me in the deep end of the pool and watched me until I made it to the side then did it again until I was not flailing my way to the side but making semi-coordinated movements. When I got nervous about swimming in the river, he threw me in again. Just remember that it is your natural tendency to float. It is just up to you to make sure it is your breathing end that is up.

For bike riding, I was 10 years old and had signed up for a bike-a-thon 2 weeks from then. So he took me to the top of a steep, medium length hill, put me on the bike, and let me go. The hill made me roll so I could get the pedaling part down. Once you get past that mental block that as long as the wheels are spinning you aren't going to fall over barring some outside force, you are fine.

Crude and dangerous- maybe. But ultimately effective. My cousin once remarked that I could doggy paddle faster than a trolling motor. I told him it was because when my dad threw me in, I had to paddle fast enough to go against the current of the river and make progress. I haven't swum in a river in years, but it's as they say, "It's like riding a bike."

Riding a bike is all about balance and confidence. When I taught my boys, I had them start in the grass until their balance was better. I have a feeling you will catch on quickly.

I am deathly afraid of water, and always have been. I am not a swimmer. I can get in a pool and have a little fun, but that's about it. I would love to learn how to be a strong swimmer and if I had my own pool, that would make it a lot easier ;) But kudos for you to trying something new!

Balance is key, and then remember to both pedal AND steer! Good luck - it took me a long time to learn to ride a bike, as I'm not the most coordinated person, and then my brother left my bike in the driveway and my grandfather backed over it accidentally, so I had to wait a long time to have a bike I could learn one again - my sibling are 5 and 8 years older than me, so I couldn't borrow theirs, my feet wouldn't reach the pedals!

My other piece of advice? WEAR a HELMET! Get into the habit day 1. It's just safer for you, even once you ride well, wear a helmet. A cousin of mine's son, age 12, was recently hit by a car when riding his bike, and never recovered from his injuries. Keanu was not wearing a helmet, and died later. It was a driver with the sun in her eyes, she just didn't see him.

I'm 41 and the last time I rode a bike ( I think it was the last time) I had a really bad wreck. I was young and dumb. As far as swimming I have no clue how to swim and have no interest in learning. Riding bikes is pretty easy just be smart. Good luck.

When you're learning, put the seat down nice and low so you can touch the ground with both feet. Later, when you're comfortable, put that seat back up so you can straighten your legs out a bit more (though not 100% straight) when you're pedaling -- your knees will thank you. But, for now... nice and low.

Next step: take the pedals off. The left and right pedals are threaded opposite one another, so the old adage "righty tighty, lefty loosey" will NOT work with both of them. Instead, the idea is "back off" - meaning if you're facing the bike and the handle of the wrench is pointed straight up, then rotate it toward the back of the bike to take the pedal off. You'll see that if you're on the side with the chain, that means you're going counter-clockwise to take the pedal off. And if you're on the side without the chain, then you're going clockwise to take the pedal off.

The idea here is make it so you're not worrying about pedaling and balancing at the same time. Just coast around on it, figure out how to balance when you're going straight and how to turn, figure out how to work the hand breaks, etc... I'd recommend a pretty flat surface, so you'll only be going as fast as you can push off with your feet. When you're feeling a bit more comfortable, then I'd take your bike to a place with a small incline and go down it.

Like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9c1Upl7To8
Followed by this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07iRBitQlMY

Then, when you feel like you've got your balance when going straight and turning and can come to a stop safely, stick the pedals back on. Start off by standing over the bike, one foot on the ground and one foot on a pedal that's sticking out toward the front of the bike. Push that pedal down and the action will start to move your bike forward... If not, try moving the pedal to a slightly different position, until it feels natural. You can also use your foot that's on the ground as a way to push off (just like you did before you put the pedals back on) if it helps get you started. Or you can start off on a gentle slope to help get things going. Then just glide... Don't panic and try to get both feet on the pedals and start pedaling superfast. Just glide...

At some point, you'll feel comfortable with the start, shift your "pushing off" foot that was on the ground onto the pedal.... And, whenever you want, use it to pedal too.

Hey, look! You're riding a bike!!!

Thanks for all the advice! I am not a good swimmer either. That is something else I would like to learn. But one thing at a time.

I did not get go on Sunday. Something came up with the boyfriend and he had to postpone it. I am not sure until when as I have to work everyday of Memorial Day weekend since the other girl took the whole weekend off. (yeah, I'm not upset about that at all.) I am still excited and hope we will have time sooner than later.

Went bike riding for the first time today! I can balance going down the driveway which has a small incline and am trying to get my feet on the pedals. The pedal part is the hard part. I am pretty good with the steering and breaking without pedals. With pedals not so much. I keep going off balance when I try. More practice next weekend.

Yay! Good for you. It is easier to keep your balance pedaling the faster you go, so once you feel comfortable with your balance, have someone hold onto the back of the bike - that doesn't mind running to keep up - and try pedaling. Too slow and the bike won't balance as well. Practice pedaling in a flat, grassy area before you move to a harder surface in case you wipe out. I love riding my bike and you may find yourself addicted once you get the hang of it!

Yippee for balancing, steering, and breaking without pedals. Nice that your driveway has a small incline to help out.

Adding those pedals back in can be a little tricky. Where does it start falling apart for you? -- when you try and get your feet on the pedals? Shortly after getting them on the pedals? After your feet are all set and you've been trying to pedal for a little bit?

I'm not so sure I'd try the flat grassy area idea... those things are never flat and can definitely mess up your balance while you're trying to get the pedals going. Besides, you've already got balancing (in general) mastered.

Also... you can think of getting the whole pedaling thing up and running a little bit like trying to trim most hedgehogs' nails. If you go for every single nail in one sitting, you're asking for trouble. But a nail here and a nail there -- or a little pedaling here and a little there until you're ready for the whole thing -- works out just great.

I'm not so sure I'd try the flat grassy area idea... those things are never flat and can definitely mess up your balance while you're trying to get the pedals going. Besides, you've already got balancing (in general) mastered.

my kids started in our yard, definitely not flat, but very easy to teach a beginner. A grassy, flat field takes some of the fear out of falling onto the hard concrete. I would definitely choose an area that feels safe to you.

p.s. Was also thinking that if the seat is too low (which is great for starting out and making sure both feet touch the ground, so you can just stand up instead of falling over), it makes pedaling more difficult since your knees end up at a fairly acute angle when the pedal is at the top-most position. <-- I was reminded of this when I brought one of my kids' bikes into the shop... I rode it there looking a bit like your typical circus bear... all bunched up and uncomfortable.

In addition to the stress on your knees, it IS more difficult to balance. Those bears really have their work cut out for them.

Anyhoo, take a look at how bent your leg is when the pedal is at its top-most position. If it's less than a right angle, try moving the seat higher. It'll help straighten out your leg, be more comfortable, and help you balance a bit better when pedaling. The downside is that with the seat higher, you cannot sit on it and have your feel flat on the ground when you come to a stop. Instead, you'll be on the balls of your feet.

Important note: when you do raise your seat up higher, do it in little bits over time; not a big change all at once. With my kids, we've raised a max of 1cm and let them get used to it for a week or two before attempting to raise it further. One cm seems to be the general recommendation out there. If you try and raise it all at once to Lance Armstrong heights, you'll find your body isn't used to it... you'll try and put your feet down flat when you come to a stop, discover that they don't hit the ground like they "should," panic ensues, then there's a crash (or a near-crash with quick save).

So... really... message here is take it slow and steady - whether we're talking about adding the pedaling in, raising seat heights, changing a hedgehog's diet... :) You can do it!

I missed my edit time, I was thinking that I started my kids on a mountain bike, and that may make a difference with starting in the grass. If you have a road bike, you should probably opt for a solid surface to practice on.

I missed my edit time, I was thinking that I started my kids on a mountain bike, and that may make a difference with starting in the grass. If you have a road bike, you should probably opt for a solid surface to practice on.

Hahahaa... Funny how little things like that change things up. I was completely picturing road or hybrid tires. Good point!

Raindog, what kind of bike do you have?

I have a mountain bike so maybe the grass would help? I went practicing again today and guess what? I rode a bike! Pedaling and everything. It was so fun. The problem I was having was I would knock my self off balance when I tried to pedal. It just kind of clicked one moment and I guess I was trying to press too hard on the pedal before. So now I have to work on steering and pedaling at the same time as I almost ran into the mailbox, multiple yards, and my boyfriend. I will remember to notice if the seat is too low, I did feel kind of awkward but that could be because I don't know what I am doing. Next weeks goal is to make it around the block. I can't wait!

Congrats! It will continue to get easier, and you will feel like a pro in no time! For my boys, when they were first learning, I would hold the back of the bike steady and run behind them while they pedaled, and then let go once they were going fast enough. The hardest part is starting to pedal. By my holding the bike steadily upright for them as they started to pedal, they only had to focus on balancing. With a bit of practice, it gets much easier to start on your own.

Back