I fix up my cage!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinnmyheart

Ok I bought some wire mesh for the cage I just bought. And it the right size 1/2"x1/2" so chins foot won't get stuck. I added it to the bottom.. Pic #1

At first I measure it and it was the right size it was hard to put in so I had to cut off some.. And I left with this on picture # 2.. What do you think I should do???

Attachments

• Wire 1.jpg
    Wire 1.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 47
  • ideas???.jpg
    ideas???.jpg
    71.3 KB · Views: 42
Ok I think you mean folding it back..

Well the chins are not going to be on it..

Many on my other thread said the spacing on the white wire was to big.. So I bought that one wire to go under the shelf..

But I will fold it, if that what you mean??

I cut the wire only when I have to. Those sharp edges are murder. I just fold the wire where I can, like wrapping a present

Here what the spacing on the shelves look like.. I added the wire mesh 1/2 by 1/2 under it..

Attachments

• before cage.jpg
    before cage.jpg
    62.3 KB · Views: 14
Are the shelves not able to be removed? Wire shelves are a pain for chins as they will probably be peed on and even chewed at. It is much better to have wooden shelves that the chinchillas can chew on. Many won't pee on them either.

Can the wire shelves move at all? If they can move, maybe you should take them out and get some wood to put on. In my old chin's cage, she had wire and hated it. Once she got her new cage and new wooden shelves, she was a very happy camper!

Be careful because even with 1/2" by 1/2" wire mesh a foot can still get stuck in the wire and broken. Also as far as the shelving goes Lillybabe is very quite right wire shelving is even more dangerous for chins then the floor because when they jump from shelf to shelf they have an increased risk of injury. Plus you run the risk of your chin developing bumblefoot which is a huge pain and often means a vet visit. Frankly if you are going to put shelves in purchase wooden shelves, or even leap-n-ledges which upco.com sells very cheap. Or make your own which is easy and cheap. If you want to go even better try going to www.simplychintastic.com they have some really awesome wooden shelving there i have my cage decked out with those items. At all cost avoid wire shelving/flooring.

Actually with an adult chin the 1/2"x1/2" wire spacing works out just fine. If it didn't, I would have had chins with broken legs and bumblefoot in great amounts, which I have not had...not even one broken leg or one case of bumblefoot. There is bacteria that can cause bumblefoot on any surface that a chin puts its feet on.

It's a matter of preference not necessarily a matter of safety. I have 130 cages with wire shelves and wire floors, if it were unsafe I would have chins with broken legs and bumblefoot everywhere. It would be nice if people would just explain that appropriate wire shelves vs wooden shelves is just a matter of preference instead of saying that it will cause bumblefoot.

We pulled out the wire shelf at the top of the white cage posted here because it was just not safe, I didn't have any thicker wire to make a new shelf that would be better to use. I think the cage will work out pretty well now. It has ledges and some perches and hammocks now.

Latest posts

Back