I couldn't help saying something!

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jenn

ZooKeeper
I found this ad on Craigslist today, and I could not resist giving some advice. This poor chin is kept in a small cage, with not one shelf, no hidey house...nothing to improve the quality of his life. It is so sad. So I gave them the link to this forum and asked that they give the link to the new chin owners. I just don't want the new owners to think that this is how a chinchilla should live. Too bad I can't take this little guy...

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/pet/2785065478.html

does it even have a water bottle???
i don't see one. or is it in that dish in the corner?

the cage below it has shelves though, i wonder if that
is like a temp cage like while they're cleaning out the other one or something

Yeah, I see the cage below has some shelves too. Poor little guy. I hope you guys are right. :(

I also got into it a bit with another CL seller who was selling a "death ball" with their chin. I tried to explain why the ball needed to be destroyed. They were shocked that I attacked them about it, and that I was prejudgemental. They claim they only carry the chin from one area to another in the ball, and that's it. But will the potential chin buyer know that balls are dangerous to chins? I don't want to come off badly, but there are some chins in some pretty sad condition, or in dangerous conditions, that a new chin buyer might not realize is not the ideal way to care for a chin...I used to ignore these ads, but now I feel the need to step in and educate a bit. If one person listens, then it is all worthwhile!

But if you were advertising that you are selling a chin and their cage, etc, why would you show him in that cage? And I thought he was a beige with his ear freckles...I'm terrible at identification but am starting to learn. But it does appear the cage below has shelves, so I'm hoping his conditions aren't as bad as they first appeared.

when i saw Boo's advertisement. they had him in a plain cage it only had a house in it, which the whole was big enough for a bird :/
and a small dog dish with crap food in it.
but they showed a link to a FN 142.
so i messaged them about it, and the cage they took pictures of him in
where in his temp cage that they used for when they cleaned.

Hopefully, Keisha, that is the same for this chinchilla. I wrote to them but never heard back...probably hit a raw nerve! Lol. But got to look out for the best interest of the animal as they count on us to care for them properly.

I have to say that is the same cage BOTH of my chinchillas were living in TOGETHER with their previous owner. It broke my heart. They had no ledges, no toys to chew on, they never got fed, and to top it off the cage was cleaned maybe every 6 months? And that was when i ran my mouth saying they sat in their own filth. Im just glad I have them now and can give them the life they deserve.

Hate to play devil's advocate but... that chin doesn't actually look that bad. While yeah, the cage is smaller than I'd like to see for a pet and obviously could use some houses/shelves/toys... most of the rescues we get in are in much worse condition. Heck our rescues often make the craigslist chins look halfway decent! He at least looks like he's had a dust bath sometime in the recent past (we get chins that literally look like drowned rats because they are so greasy) and the cage doesn't look all that filthy. While yeah, changes could be made, he's better off than a lot of chins...

I agree, but I don't think we should let any animal's environment/condition be just adequate. Sure, we've all seen animals in worse conditions, but we certainly don't want to see any more animals suffer the same consequences. And when an animal is rehomed, don't we want the very best information given out to a potential new owner, instead of him/her thinking that this animal's living conditions are ok to continue? Some owners don't know any better and a little friendly advice can go a long way.

Oh I agree, and I think it's great that the OP contacted the poster. I would rather the new owners know the best most correct info possible regarding chin care. Unfortunately, most craigslist people don't care to listen to someone else's opinion that they could do better caring for their pet. Some do, though, which is why it is still worth the effort. I dis not mean to imply anything negative, advice can really go a long way.

I don't really think this is a temp cage. If it is this chin, or some other animal, has spent a lot of time in it. Look how chewed the bars are. That doesn't happen overnight. Poor little guy. I hope someone decent gives him a good home very soon. It's insane they're asking $100 for him too.

I'm going to point out that we are not the chin police. As officers at my local Animal Control and Humane Society have pointed out in seminars "you can't make someone love an animal or give them toys or treat them the same way you do." Also there is no way to know the whole story from photos, so please don't jump to conclusions.

But I don't think one should stand idly by and not help educate others - though politely - if they are caring incorrectly for an animal. If I say something at all, I do it cautiously and carefully so as not to seem judgemental. Like I said, some people are given the wrong information about how to care for animals - chins in particular - and a little direction has to be helpful. Imagine if what we see in this ad is true. This is a miserable life for a chin. I've also spoken up when people include "death" balls in their ads. I don't try to come off as all knowing, as I certainly have a lot to learn, but what I have learned I am happy to share. And if I am doing something "wrong" I would certainly hope someone would educate me. Any animal lover wants the best for their pets.

Latest posts

Back