I am freaking out. Dog bit chinchilla

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am new to chinchillas and haven't researched much on anatomy, but I was holding my chin and my dog ran up and grabbed the tip of his tail. He pulled it of off. It was about a quarter of an inch of the bone. He seems fine. He bled a little, but is acting okay. Shoud I take him to the vet or medicate him? We aren't sure what to do at all. Please help.

How would you medicate him without taking him to the vet?

Since a dog's mouth is disgustingly dirty, I would definitely get to a vet. He can make sure the wound is closed, healing well, and provide antibiotics. In the future, I would make sure your dog was never allowed in any room where your chin is and I'd be darn sure that that chin never escaped it's cage. A dog that will run up and attack an animal while it's in its owners arms would not hesitate to kill it if he found it loose.

I agree, take that chin to the vet. With a bite from another animal you have a lot of harmful bacteria in that wound. Unless you are a vet yourself or have very extensive experience with chinchilla wounds, it wouldn't be wise to medicate the chin yourself.

As the for the injury, this is a very common thing to happen when the end of a chin's tail is bitten or it gets pulled very hard. Bone was exposed so you may have to have surgery done to fix it.

Please listen to these experienced women and go to the vet!!!

Don't just stand there wringing your hands and thinking..."Well, it might be OK, I'll just wait and see". If you lost the tip of YOUR finger or toe or had a big cut, you'd be on the way to the ER, so get moving!!!

oh ouch poor chin !

did you know your dog was like this toward other animals ? I have a dog that tends to be high energy and for the most part loves all the other animals in the house but I sure would NOT trust him if one of them ever escaped their cages .. I can hold any of one my guinea pigs and know he will not hurt them but I still don't give him the chance to bite any of them

I suggest a trip to the vet for the chin and from now on lock dog in another room or outside when you want to hold the chin

We took the little guy to the vet first thing this morning. Turns out he is going to be just fine. My dog has never hurt anything or offered any interest in Zazu or any other animals we have. When we leave the house, all the animals are locked out of the bedroom which is where the chin is.

Thanks for helping. I am a farm girl and on the farm we don't call the vet unless absolutely necessary which is why I asked about self medicating the chin. I know he isn't one of the cows, but that's why I asked. I'm new to chins

Well, all's well that ends well!!! I'm glad you took him to the vet and that everything is going to be OK!!!

Did the vet give you any meds for the chin? You need to keep the wound clean but also keep a close eye on it as the chin may actually start picking on the scab and re-opening the wound.

Latest posts

Back