Hurricane Sandy and Emergency preparednes

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tillygizmo

My kids have 4 feety's
Hi All, I wish everyone in the path of the Hurricane the best of luck through the storm. I know it's a bit early but I am thinking and planning and thought I would write a note to wish everyone luck. For my gang, we stock up on extra hay and gallons of water in case of a black out. We are currently freezing a ton of dollar store ice packs to put into coolers if the power goes out in case it gets too warm for the chins (which is unlikely). We have tons of candles and flashlights/batteries. Our emergency plan: have playtime in the dark bathroom with flashlights :)

I'm just hoping that I'm far enough from the ocean to not get evacuated. Packing up 3 chins, 2 dogs, me and the hubby is not something I'd want to do. Other than that, we're pretty good here. I always have plenty of pet supplies on hand, we shop at costco and BJ's so we have plenty of provisions and our electricity is underground, so we usually get to keep it. Pretty sure we may lose the directv dish though. Not looking forward to that.

Right by the bay in Maryland here. We are bracing for it as well. I'm good on hay and pellets. All I need to stock up on is water (since they get filtered water from the fridge) and batteries for flashlights. They are definitely calling for major power outages, hopefully if it does go out it won't be out for long. Stay safe everyone!

Im thankful for my 6 hole ryerson carrier at times like this! I keep out one carrier for the bun and get the 6 hole ready in case something happens and we're off!

We'll be dealing with snow, or possibly rain/wind. Luckily we live on a hill on the top storey, so I'm not concerned with flooding. If we lose power, I'm more concerned about keeping the snakes warm enough. Idk where we'd get a kerosene heater if we needed it, but that's about our only option. :/

Good luck to everyone that's in it's way. Here in florida we have had about 25mph winds and it has been absolutely gorgeous! :) here's hoping we get some rain. Hopefully no one on here will have any major problems. Best of luck and stay safe :)

It's even supposed to reach as high as Quebec. It's cool enough here that if the power goes out we should be fine - I barely use the AC anymore anyway, with the window open the room stays plenty cool nowadays!

We actually just recently had a small 4.5 earthquake that knocked out our power for a bit (I know it's nothing compared to other places, but earthquakes in Montreal are SO rare - it was a big deal!) I'm so glad none of these things happened during the summer!!

We are in south central PA I am hoping not to get too bad of weather. We are preparing tho. I have my chins in 4 different cages, two are very very large, so tomorrow I am putting them in the two smaller more portable cages. Just incase I need to grab and go. I'm not really worried about them, only my special chin. He will not get along with any one other than his cage mate, and he has to be in a special made cage that is one of the bigger ones, so I have to put him in a carrier. And its not very roomy I'm a bit worried about him being all alone in it. However I am keeping him in his cage as long ad I can, I am just not caring for the time he may have to be in the carrier. Yea, so anyway. I am doing my best for this, just hate being so worried about him. Everyone stay safe,

I am in Central NJ and we lost power yesterday. We have a generator (actually 2) so we have power for the necessities. We were suppose to leave for FL. today for a big RV rally. Now we are stuck home until the electricity comes on. That might take awhile because a pole is down across the road. Several big trees came down up the road

Even over here in Indiana we are feeling the effects! Cold, 50+ mph wind gusts, freezing rain. I can't imagine what it's like over on the east coast. Everyone stay safe.

Here (in NY) we were fine but i did make up some lists of things to pack my 2 cats,1 chinchilla and 1 dog if we have to go, got candles and made sure there was ice in the frezzer in case it got to hot for my chin.

We lost power, heat, and hot water. Gas isn't available in our area so we can't really leave home. Thankfully we have water. We dont have much people food here so we are hoping this is settled ib the next few days but they are saying posibbly another week. A ton of trees are down and we actually have one dangling in our yard. We should be ok. We have a good amount of candles and batteries. Temps haven't been below fifty outside or 65 inside so were doing ok. The turtle is at the in laws house where she can have her heater and lamps. All in all , we are surviving it.

Temps. here have been in the 40's and I can't seem to warm up. We have plenty of gas (for generator), water and food (both people and animal) so we are ok for awhile

If anyone is close to Brick, NJ and needs to come charge cell phones, heat up some food or grab a hot shower, PM me for my address and I'll open my home to you.

Meanwhile, I just have to share. This is how I get to NYC. Won't be going up for a while.

8141797857_5f10030aa8_z.jpg

I have seen so much stuff on the news parts are still without power here but its nothing compared to the NJ and NY area I am keeping those in NH /NJ in my thoughts and hope things improve for you all faster!

have you all in the NJ NY storm area in my thoughts, glad that things sound at least stable and not horribly disasterous

I hope power and recovery happen soon

Last edited:
Back