Human Health Question - Asthma

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jill of Beans

Sleeps with one eye open.
If I am posting under the wrong category - please move as appropriate.

I am wondering if any of the forum members have asthma and if so, how do you address it with your chins. Do your chins aggrivate your asthma? Are you on medications to control it? If so - which? I have asthma and have had it stabilized for well over 2 yrs but it's recently become aggrivated, and I can't help but wonder if it is chin related or chin combined with cold temps related.

I am looking at getting air purifiers - but am looking for any opinions/suggestion/recommendations.

Thanks!

I have been diagnosed with asthma for about 6 or 7 years, but after the first 3 years I've been able to stabilize/control it.

I would definitely suggest using a HEPA air filter unit system. The filter system is pretty great. I live in a small apartment so it also helps remove cooking smells too! I also vacuum daily and dust regularly (I really like the Swiffer Dusters a lot! Helps catch dust better than cleaning rags).

Every time a dust bathe is given or a thorough cage cleaning is done, always wear a face mask. Also wear a face mask when you do a daily cleaning of the cage too if your asthma condition is fairly sensitive.

I always wash my hands after everything. Out of habit, I tend to rub my nose a lot, so constant hand washing helps a lot!

Also, I do take prescribed allergy medication as well. You might want to look into getting a nasal allergy spray as well. However, the after getting a HEPA filter system, it's really helped a lot. I would definitely invest in one.

I was diagnosed w/ asthma nearly 25 years ago at the age of 5. I also have severe allergies.
Do you have allergies as well? I have allergies as well as asthma, so I usually have my kids help me with the loose hay, and I also use hay cubes. If I do hay myself, I immediately wash my hands.
When it comes to dusting, I let them dust immediately before their cages are cleaned.
HEPA air filters do help. Also get a vacuum that uses those.
To control my asthma, I'm on Advair 250/50. I've been on it for probably 6 or 7 years and it has made a WORLD of difference. I have a pro air emergency inhaler, but those SUCK compared to the old albuterol ones that you can't get anymore.

To control my asthma, I'm on Advair 250/50. I've been on it for probably 6 or 7 years and it has made a WORLD of difference. I have a pro air emergency inhaler, but those SUCK compared to the old albuterol ones that you can't get anymore.

I also use Advair Diskus 250/50 and it HAS helped me to stabilize my asthma. The Pro Air DOES suck - and that's because the had to change their propellants. I work in a long term care pharmacy and have a relationship with the GlaxoSmithKline drug representative.

She did a demonstration with all of the new albuterol inhalers. She lined up a cap on the edge of the counter & held the inhaler in front of it (at the level of the cap) then squeezed the inhaler. The lid traveled a few inches across the desk. She repeated this with each of the different inhalers – each time the lid went a distance shorter or a bit more than the last.

Then she used the Ventolin HFA (BRAND) Albuterol inhaler, squeezed & the cap FLEW across the counter and onto the floor!

That demonstration SOLD me – it was the power of the propellant that I could see.

Anyone who’s in need of their inhaler know’s how difficult it is to breathe in the medication, with this one it helps FORCE it down into your lungs and I feel a difference. It also has a counter ON the inhaler that keeps track of how many puffs you have used. Each inhaler has 200 metered inhalations and I can look at my inhaler and see that I have used 154 currently.

If you liked the old inhaler – I suggest you talk to you doctor and ask for a prescription for Ventolin BRAND – and make sure they check “Brand Only” or “Do Not Substitute”. You may want to check with your health insurance – it is going to cost a bit more – but to me it’s worth it.

The question I have is, what is the source of your asthma? Depending on your known triggers, you may have developed a (new?) allergy/sensitivity to something associated with the chins, or to something completely different that you're only noticing now that the air inside your house has been recycling for a few months of winter weather.

My father's COPD symptoms improved immensely after they had the duct work cleaned and added a HEPA filter to the HVAc system, but if he's around Crash's hay for more than a few hours, he needs his ProAir. I'd definitely support the idea of a modular HEPA filter around the chin stuff, though. While the chins generally don't cause a problem, their hay can, so keeping the dust and pollen from that to a minimum isn't a bad idea whether it's the underlying problem or not.

I assume you are asking because you are a chinchilla or pet owner. I have pretty bad allergies myself. I find that chinchillas do not make them act up as bad as cats and some other pets. The hay and dust however is a different story. When I am cleaning my chinchilla cages I wear those white masks you get when you are painting. I also have an oreck air purifier and a shop vac with air purifier liners. This helps to prevent getting excess dusty in my lungs and nose so I do not have as bad of a reaction. I did some research on chinchillas and allergies and wrote an article (posted below) but overall I love animals and chinchillas seem to be the right pet for me as they do not make my allergies go too crazy. Good luck! http://www.chinchillaplace.com/blog/bid/8764/Chinchillas-Allergies-achooo

I have asthma and allergies and have been on immunotherapy for my allergies for about 4-5 years so I don't take any medication for it anymore unless my allergies are really bothering me, then I'll take a Zyrtec or Benadryl. I don't use anything for my asthma as it's mostly aggravated by exercise or illness. I've only had my chin for a week but it hasn't seemed to bother my allergies or asthma. I've been around animals all my life and live in probably one of the worst climates in America for allergies (good ole Arizona) so you should be fine! But everyone's different.

I have allergies, and asthma. I do not have insurance right now, so I am using Advair samples when I can get them, and Primeatine(spelling?) mist--over the counter stuff. I know --HORRIBLE but ya gotta do what ya gotta do.

I honestly never needed an inhaler or the advair until I expanded my herd. When I had just a few chinchillas--I knew my sinus's were "clogged" more, but now that I have 50+ I am in horrible shape. I cannot be around them when they are dusted, so they do not get dusted often. Cage cleaning day is the worst--I need to keep my inhaler within reach because it just gets me at night. The chins really have made it a lot worse then it ever was.

It's even worse right now, because of winter. I also got tight in the chest etc during winter--but winter + the chins and I am fairly bad.

Cats used to bother me--but I once I am around a specific cat for a period of time, I'm fine with them. The chins though--it keeps getting worse. My horses, other then a runny nose once in a while do not bother me--and the dogs don't either.

I was allergy tested when I had insurance--and I came up postive to a lot of things (dogs,cats,birds,pollen,grass,hay, pork, etc etc)

Back