Human colds and Chins

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I would. Whenever I have a cold or cold sore (herpes simplex), I always minimize contact with the chinchillas. I wear a mask and gloves if I absolutely have to care for them. Always wash your hands throughly before handling the chins (You should do this anyways, even if you are not sick). Is there anyone in your house than can help with the chins until you get better?

I did play with him for a short time, and washed my hands and upper arms very good, and I just sat there and let him run around me and on me. I made sure not to breathe or do anything near him. I couldn't take his begging look anymore!

chins are very susceptible to the human cold virus, and it manifests as a URI (upper respiratory infection) in chins. best to stay away from your chin when you are sick, and have somebody else in the household do the cage cleaning and feeding. if you absolutely must do it yourself, wash well with disinfectant soap and wear a mask. keep the time near the cages to the absolute minimum until you are healthy again.

chins are fine to go without play time. i had a bit of a cold here recently and my boys didn't come out of their cages for about 5 days because i'm the only person in the household able to do chin chores. i did cage cleaning only twice in that span of 5 days, and scrubbed up good and wore a bandana mask during my very short cage cleaning time. the boys didn't suffer at all, and were very happy to have play time once i was feeling better!

Last edited:
Thanks! My husband just got home and he now has extra chores! He's my only chin so he only has us to play with.

It's OK for me to be in the same room, right? He's in our living room...

Back