How to stop bleeding?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BooBoo*TheKiddo*

This isn't an emergency but since I recently needed to know and blu-kote and dust bath is the only thing I could think of to stop bleeding...

I thought I'd ask...

If you have a chinnie (or other pet) who is bleeding, what is the best way to stop the bleeding quickly?

Depends on what is bleeding, how fast & where ...............

You can use pressure, a clean (lint free) pad, a haemostat (alginate dressing for example) ..........

Agreed with Claire, if it is a cut or injury that requires stitching you would not want to put any blue kote or powder on it. If it's a small say bite wound that doesn't require that type of attention, then you could use dust if you have it, blood stop would be ideal of course, or cornstarch will work in a pinch as well.

If it's a larger injury begin with pressure, clotting factors usually work only if the blood flow is not extreme. Using a clotting factor on a wound that requires repair would require the edges to be trimmed for it to heal properly, possibly creating skin tension later.

clotting factors usually work only if the blood flow is not extreme. Using a clotting factor on a wound that requires repair would require the edges to be trimmed for it to heal properly, possibly creating skin tension later.
Are you referring to the haemostat (alginate dressing) I suggested?

When I had a dog, we used Styptic Powder on nail bleeds if we cut his nails into the quick/nerve. I wouldn't use it on chinnies, only because I have never seen anyone recommend it, but I responded here with it since you also asked about other pets as well..

Silver Nitrate Sticks work great for stopping the bleeding from a quicked dog toenail. Have no idea if it is safe for chins...may even be toxic because of it's composition and they sting when applied to nail that is bleeding. Just thought I would add this as the Steptic Powder was added for use in other pets...it works good too but I wouldn't use that on my Chins either.

Latest posts

Back