how to prepare for shows?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccChalieAndSpruce99chins

so im going to the ca state show this weekend
ive never been to a show before,
and im taking 2 chinnies with me, Lea the baby chinchilla(the baby derby show) and my black velvet chinchilla Kupo.
i bought Kupo from chinchilla chateau hes won two 1st places before
and sumiko said she would ear tag him at the show, and i was just wondering how do ppl prepare their chinnies for the shows.
Kupo is a nice little guy i dont want him to not get any awards just bcuz of me i dont really care if he gets a 2nd place or 3rd i just dont want myself to be the problem that kupo didnt get any award that he deserves to get.

kupo does have urine stain around his part, i use puppy training pads as their bedding.

do i need to bathe him everyday? im nervous

Normally chins are dusted daily for several weeks before the show and stopped dusting a couple days before the show. Kupo has been shown before how old is he?

I try to bathe them every other day about 1 to 2 weeks before the show. I also comb them too. You are suppose to separate them but I keep mine in colonies. Kupo should do great at the show. I always take the same ones to the show oldies and they still do great. I myself don't care if they win or lose they are my pets first. I just like to go for the fun of it.

You'll enjoy your 1st show. See you this weekend.

hi cat75 kupo is a year and a half
i posted his pictures on chinchat, under the heading of my 4 chinchillas and lea the baby chinchilla i believe.

thanks you guys, im gonna go give a bath now.

Yeah, c'mon, it'll be fun!!!

I showed Mr. Whiskers and The Snuggler just because I was like a Pageant Mom and wanted them to have a ribbon!!! It was fun!!! :)

I've never been to a show before but it sounds awesome and I have to say....KUPO is an awesomely cool name!!! Makes me think of Moogles<3

Just wanted to point out puppy training pads arent good bedding since they have chemicals on them to entice puppys to pee there and have plastic and fiborous parts that chins can ingest - try using fleece liners or shavings.

Aw man, you guys are making me want to show Woodrow this weekend!! Lol.

Show him! All healthy chinchillas are welcome at the show! I won't have any chinchillas to groom on Saturday for the mutation show, so I will be teaching anyone who would like to learn how to groom. ;)

something terrible happened!
since snicker combs his chinchillas i tried to groom kupo few minnutes ago after i gave him a bath for about 5 minutes
and he bit me!! :0 hes never bitten anyone before! i tried to groom him and he bit my thumb and wouldnt let go i was being really gentle and he bit my comb too, like if he was throwing a fit! oh no now he hates me!!

tabitha me! i would like to learn how to groom!! thanks so much uve been such a great help to me! i wouldnt even have kupo polly spruce n lea these wonderful chins with me right now if it werent u

@volunteerchin22 i use ferret nation and i dont know how to make the cage pan, i will definitly try fleece liner tho! my chinchillas arent interested in the puppyy pad, they wont chew on it and they have lots of toys :)

@liquidblue thanks all tho i didnt came up with the name 'kupo' it sure is a cute name. my friend just got a new sugar glider and named him squirrel i was like omg squirrel is such a cute name so when i get my next pet(probably a rat i have 3 boys and since im getting a huge cage tmr might get them a friend the cage is defined ferret habitat) imma name him/her squirrel,

something terrible happened!
since snicker combs his chinchillas i tried to groom kupo few minnutes ago after i gave him a bath for about 5 minutes
and he bit me!! :0 hes never bitten anyone before! i tried to groom him and he bit my thumb and wouldnt let go i was being really gentle and he bit my comb too, like if he was throwing a fit! oh no now he hates me!!

I didn't mean for you to get bit. Sorry about that. I would just dust him every day until Thursday. Bring him to the show and Tabitha will show you how to comb him out. Once again sorry about him biting you.

Don't worry, Nancy, he doesn't hate you. He hates the comb and the process of grooming but it won't change his general attitude towards you. Most of my chinchillas will bite and attack the comb when being groomed, but they are perfectly normal as soon as the comb is put away.

Just make sure you dust him and handle him as little as possible until the show. Don't give him a dustbath any later than Wed. We'll do the combing at the show, so don't worry about doing that before the show either. :) See you there!

@volunteerchin22 i use ferret nation and i dont know how to make the cage pan, i will definitly try fleece liner tho! my chinchillas arent interested in the puppyy pad, they wont chew on it and they have lots of toys :)

You don't need to make a cage pan. If you have a Ferret Nation you either use the plastic pans that came with the cage (less ideal) or you buy metal bass pans http://www.bassequipment.com/Cages/Ferret+Pans/default.aspx (more ideal)

You never know, the chemicals in the puppy pads could get on their paws and they could ingest it that way. Also, chins can develop new habits out of the blue. Your chin could be fine for weeks and you could come home one day to find the pad has been eaten. That's why we encourage people to use only safe materials. You never know when they will decide to start chewing. Case and point: My Latte has had her hidey house since I brought her home 10 months ago. Just around Christmas she started flipping it over. Every time I put it right side up she flips it again. She never did this before, and now she does this several times a day. She also has toys and other things to distract her, but flipping the house is just as enticing.

Good Luck at the show, I hope you learn a lot :)

Last edited:
I'm only bringing 7 or 10 mutations so I will probably be able to help too. I definitely won't be able to help on Sunday though... for the first time, I'm going to have a full string of standards. I will be there bright (errr... dark, actually) and early Sun morning, furiously grooming!! lol

Latest posts

Back