How to get rid of a yellow bottom.

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Christina Noraas

Christina
From a while ago when Rex had diarrhea he got a yellow butt, and it's not going away I've tried using a damp towel to get it off and nothing seems to be working. Any good tricks on how to get this to go away because it looks awful.

I also think that part of the issue is that he pees on his wooden shelves and he just kind of sits in it for a couple of minutes which I don't understand at all. :[

You could try putting some corn starch in his dust baths. Over time, the dust baths should help. However if he is continually sitting in his urine, there isn't much you can do about it as it will just keep staining.

Try some unscented baby wipes for a couple of days. :thumbsup:

It would be best if you could get him litter trained-- then he wouldn't sit in his urine all the time.

Re-adjust his shelves so that they tip downward, this will help the urine run off instead of sitting there. Not a lot, just a little tilt. I have a girl who piddles on the shelves as well, and this helped a lot.

You can also get a cracker jar or large pickle jar ( preferable without the pickle smell!) glass of course and put the dust in that. They will often sit in it and if you put dust in the bottom they have their bum in the dust most of the time!

I've tried the litter boxes right where he always pees on the shelf, and I watched him he sat right next to it and peed... what a butt head. He continued to do that until I moved it to a couple different spots hoping he'd decide to use and no use so I just took it out.

I'll try the tipping of the shelves and see if I can locate a jar that big.

If you can't find a jar large enough, check out Walmart. They have the old fashioned tilted cookie type jars with a lid. You can generally find them around the food storage area with other kitchen items. I buy them for my chins dust baths. They run around $6 each.

They sell the large jars at Wal-Mart for just under $5. They are sold in the bulk food aisle & are filled w/ pickles. Just empty ( or eat a lot of pickles), wash, & fill w/ dust. My 2 boys love theirs!

Back