How to get kits to dust bath?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Justin5609

So my kits are about two weeks old now so we tried to get them to dust bath but they don't seem interested!

We gave both them and mom access to the bath at the same time but they don't seem to learn much

Any advice??

They will learn. Some chins take longer than others. I remember when my Chichi had her kits and I gave them their first dust bath. Tribble went right in, but it took Tia a couple times. They will learn from momma.

As Pikaia said, they'll learn from mom in time. You could also try sprinkling it lightly on their heads... like a dust shower. I had to do that with Nixi. She was rejected by her mom, so she didn't have anyone to mimic. I also modeled the behavior by repetitively turning my head sideways like a fool and moving my index finger around in a circular motion. I'm not sure if that was actually effective, or just made me feel better. Regardless, she got it pretty quickly. If it works, the "ah ha" moment is absolutely priceless!

They will learn from mom. I had to put one in the dust bath then sprinkle some all over the body.

It can take time but they will learn eventually. You can try sprinkling some dust on their body and that may encourage them to roll and shake it off.

How many kits and did the mother take a bath?

I have had an issue times in the past when I had to put just mother and one kit in with the bath for a little bit and swap the kit out with a sibling later. Seems they were more worried about something else and I have also had other that just took time. I would put the bath in for some time and watch them. If you see the mother taking too many baths or camping out just take the bath out. Also you can try putting the baby in the bath alone as well. Just a few thoughts.

I don't dust them that young because they want to eat it. Last week my quads were 6 weeks old. I put them in the playpen with mom and the big duster. Just sprinkled a pile outside the duster for them. One rolled and the rest wanted to eat it.
Yesterday they were big enough to jump into the duster pan. They have it figured out now. A low dish works well for babies. But watch them. Babies like to eat it. I pull it if they don't try to roll along with mom.

I never worry about kits, I put duster in with mom when it's her days to bath...and by weaning time the kits know what to do. Have never had a problem with doing it this way.

Back