how to get into showing

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

I think it would be a fun thing to do. I'd love to be able to meet pther chinchilla people. My girl has shown before, not with me, and did good and I'm just curious about taking her back one day.

How do I get involved what are some of the costs?

I know with MCBA most of the time it's like $4 or $5 per animal depending on if you are a member. I found it easier to attend a show or two before I started showing. How old is your chin currently?

Last edited:
My girl will be 2 in february. She had placed before with her breeder and we bought her off the people who bought her from her breeder so their was no paperwork provided we were just told she had placed before.

We are in northwest indiana.

Just show up with your chin in hand, and start learning. :) You don't have to show, there are plenty of people around who will walk you through how grading is done, as well as combing and proper show etiquette.

Last edited:
Well, MCBA nationals are in Auburn IN.

Two is pretty old for showing, but any animal can be shown.

So what's a good age than? I don't think my boy would go very far he's just a cute little pet but showing is definetely an interesting thing to me.

It really depends on there size and condition. I have shown some at 5 months and others at 16 months.

Generally, chins show the best between 8 months to a year or so. Although that is a very general rule. It really depends on the chin. Some can do well at a show at 5 months, and others may not real their full potential until 15-16 months.
If you are just starting out, bring what you have and learn from there. :)

We've shown them as young as 6 months if they have decent size. Usually we don't show them again after they reach 12-14 months. We don't show the females much past 9-10 months old , they are in the breed line by then. Like Becky said 2 is pretty old to be shown, but at the Heartland show 2 weeks ago a new member of ECBC showed her older ones and did pretty good with them. Go ahead and show yours, its always nice to have an opinion on them.

If you are going to learn there is nothing wrong with showing an older animal, but they will not place as well as a younger animals generally because they are not in as good of a prime usually.

I showed a male who was 2 1/2 yrs old and pulled him right out of breeding the day I left for the show and he took a 1B, I think it really depends on the animal, and what else is at the show.

Combs can be borrowed but they aren't cheap if you want your own set. There are always a lot of people at the shows that are willing to help teach you how to groom, fill out the cage card, and other paper work. Bringing a chin or two really helps even if you know they might not be in prime.

Oh LOL, I am laughing right now. I have a three year old male I want to show again!! The MCBA northwest chapter won't mind will they? I want to come and learn the MCBA way, i've seen the ECBC way now. ;)

btw, where do i become a MCBA member? I've looked at the site but its a little confusing... thnx.

I don't think there is anything in these posts to make you think you can't show an older animal in an ECBC show. An older animal in either system more than likely won't do as good as a younger animal in top condition. We had a young lady in our branch bring animals for us to look at to cull out of her herd. Bob told her to cull one male out, a few of months later she cleaned him up and we looked at him again to pelt. Bob told her to show him at our Boone show and he got a class champ or reserve i believe. Neither organization has an age limit to show that I'm aware of.

Well he just might surprise you. Good luck and let me know how he does. Its fun to show anyway. :wow:

Do chins need to be ear-tagged or anything to be shown?

Back