how to do trios??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Easterpiggy

Master of the Fuzzies
hey all I am trying to introduce Hammie to my other boys and there is a lot of grumbling. does anyone have suggestions on making trios with boys???:hmm:
any help is much apriciated.

hmm good question. I'd like to know also, because I'd like another chinnie :D Just not another massive cage ;)

Honestly I treat my trios and colonies the same as pairs. Sometimes they just don't work. I most often do the smoosh method, then move them to a slightly bigger space where they can move, then to a travel cage that I can keep with me in the house. I use a ferret barn for that. If everything goes well in there they get a fresh cage in the chinchilla room

I should also say some chinchillas will just not get along no matter what you do

one of my chins is being cranky. (grrrrrrr) but the other one is fine with it. so I dont know.

Cranky and grumpy are fine, that's nothing. He should get over that soon. I am so happy, I finally have all 4 of my boys in 1 FN 142. It took about 36 hours for them all to be snuggly. Just wanted to ad, there was a LOT of fur slips from Louey, but I'm glad they worked it out. Louey is sooo happy now.

Last edited:
As long as they're not fighting, they're fine. One or more may be cranky, but they usually sort it out within a day. Just keep an eye on them to make sure things don't start to get out of hand.

Trios are pretty easy. It's all in how you introduce them. I like putting boys together because they are actually less territorial than females...well, just as long as there are no girls around they are that way. :)

Always start with a neutral cage, that makes everything 10 times easier.

I only have one cage and I made it neutral. by bathing it in vinegar and water. I also did the clipping of whiskers and vanilla.

You can always try traumatizing them. OK, it isn't that bad...I should come up with a new word for it.

Put the boys in a carrier and take them out for a 15 to 20 minute car ride. After you get home put them right into their new cage and they probably will bond out of the trauma of the car ride. I hope that doesn't sound too cruel. It's just that sometimes it is necessary to do something that really changes their behavior and forces them to get along.

My trio came together from South Dakota to Indiana and rid together in the car. Then then had another 4 hour drive to my home. I believe the car ride and the strange surroundings helped them bond.

So far, they seem to be alright. If tow of them start fighting, take them out of the cage and smoosh them. Then, put them back in the big cage with the other one. This usually works for me.

You can always try traumatizing them. OK, it isn't that bad...I should come up with a new word for it.

Lol...A car ride works great. I have one girl who will not give a new cage mate a chance unless I take her on a little drive first.

If anyone tries it this time of year just make sure the car is cool before you put the chins in.

Back