How to deal with Spraying Chins?!?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milo10

Ok, So I just want to get some advice. How do you deal with a spraying chin?? I will be getting a rescued chin that spray whenever you try to pick her up in her cage in like 3-4 months. Like I said I just wanna know how to deal with it :) Thanks for your help in advanced!

Some people have had success flicking a bit of the pee back at her when she sprays your hand. Otherwise some chins will just always spray.

None of my girls spray (yet), but I remember in another thread reading that Peggy throws a bit of shavings back at the sprayer to distract them from doing it. I think she also mentioned a spray bottle for the ones that weren't stopped by that.

okay, I totally misread that. I thought it read that you've had her for 3-4 months already.

In addition to what I already said, there's a very good chance that when you get her into a stable environment, and with a new owner she may stop spraying. Some chins just don't like a person or are in a bad environment where they're stressed out.

I have a suggestion, if you HAVE to get a chin why don't you look for a male rescue instead. Since Milo is a male, maybe they could become buddies after quarantine and intros.

Milo is doing better.. And if they don't get along after the 30 day quarentine then I will seperate them and put the other one in the bottom half of the critter nation :)

My Bobo used to spray all the time. Everthing that people had suggested I tried, blowing in her face gently, flicking the pee back on her and flinging shavings--nothing worked. In time she got used to me talking to her outside the cage and opening the door. She still absolutely hates to be removed from her cage, but she no longer sprays, she just kacks and bites.

Getting sprayed is no big deal, it's a tiny amount of pee. I've got it in the face and even the mouth a couple of times and again no big deal.

Please make sure you've read about pregnancy Milo. Usually there is nothing to do but watch and wait, but there are also times action on the part of the owner has to be done. You need to be prepared. You need to read over the caring for and feeding babies section and fully understand it. We have seen many times where owners say they have but all of a sudden can't spend the time to hand feed a kit or they ask what the feed the kit again.

Because she is pregnant now you still have time to read up on all of this, it's in your very best interest to do so.

The lady that has Luna the rescued chin is keeping her until she has the babies. Shes not sure if shes pregnant yet. But shes pretty positive that she is,because in the time that she has had her she has gainded weight.

I have a few who are regular sprayers, but I usually don't go away and they come closer. Especially if they have sprayed on my hand, I will intentionally leave my hand in there so they smell their own scent on my hand. If you withdraw every time she sprays, she learns that it makes you go away and she'll continue to do it.

Back