How often dose a chin pee

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattmb223

im curious as to how often a chin pees? like is it a few times a day.. as much as he poops im just curious to know so i know how hes doing?

Hmm...that is a good question. I would think, from my just day to day experience, it is about 3 times a day maybe? I'm sure they are all different like people, but I don't see it all that often- but I am also not sitting there counting either!

ok thank you i was just curious i didnt know if there was a norm or not so id rather be safe then sorry

i swear Fatty saves it all up til his play time and runs over to Buckie's cage and almost in a taunting matter squirts a little bit all around his cage....(i now have his cage on a massive sheet of cardboard and and old sheet that gets washed regularly) By the time he's done though, looks like he has peed more than i do.

I'm not sure exactly how often, everyone else's estimates sound good, but I do know they'll pee if they're irritated as well. Victor tinkles on me when I let him out of the cage and do something he doesn't like, which is basically anything other than handing him a treat. And female chinchillas will spray but you probably already know that. I'd focus more on his behavior than his peeing habits to make sure he's ok. : )
(the giant smiley scared me)

I feel like our burton pees much more often than 3 times! He enjoys peeing everywhere in his cage- with complete disregard for his bedding! He pees on all of his granite, on his shelves... and when he pleases, in his bedding. I just bought a large metal pan from Bass to hopefully help with this issue. He also enjoys peeing in the other chins cages at playtime :hair: Maybe I just notice it more with him because I am constantly cleaning up after him. All the others are good with going in their bedding- prob about 3 times per day!!

Mine pee whenever and wherever. I would love to potty train them somehow.
Chewy used to pee in a corner of the dining room when we would take them out. I guess he marked all four corners of his territory. Now he doesn't do anymore. They also do not poo as much during playtime anymore.

Who knows? It's not like you can put a number on how many times we pee and poo. Every day is different. I'm sure it is the same with chins.

If you really want to know or at least get an idea, spot clean the cage everyday and you'll see how much is wet, assuming you don't use fleece liners.

Just a thought.

Jean

Last edited:
yeah i was just curious i didnt know what it was i was jsut curious but he only pees in one corner of the cage which is good but its only a few times aday

umm, let me count, I spot clean their cage twice a day, once in the morning and once at night, and there are about 6-7 pee patches on the bedding, big puddles and puddles...lets see, divide that by 2, so in about every 12 hours, I'd get 3.5 pees per chin.
But I think its different with every chin, if they drink more, they'd obviously pee more. Mine drink about 50 ml of water everyday.

Latest posts

Back