How often do you bath your dog?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you bath your dog?

• Total voters
I should have picked "other" its usually between every 3-6 months. Normally when he starts to get stinky, or starts to get yeasty he'll get a nice oatmeal bath.

When they need it. For my border collie, that's every week or so in the summer after she goes swimming in the myriad of dirty ponds and rivers. But never in the winter unless she somehow gets filthy.

Not very often. Just when they start to smell. I have a Beagle and a Chihuahua and they manage to stay pretty clean.

Not very often. When she starts to smell, she gets a bath. So only a few times a year. She's a sheltie and stays out of the mud and gunk for the most part so she stays pretty clean.

Every six weeks on average when they go to the groomers.

If/when they get stinky or oily. When I first got them they needed a bath every couple months. Good food and a healthy lifestyle has improved both of their coats and made bathing necessary probably once a year. I have a lab and a corgi.

They get good rinses after swimming but that is with just water. Heck even if they roll in something nasty most of the time a good rinse does it. It pays to have a good healthy coat. :)

I had heard two different views...once a week to benefit the dog's skin and to keep coat clean and healthy. I also heard just the opposite, that washing once a week will strip the skin's oil and create dry and itchy skin. So I'm not sure what is "supposed" to be done, but I rarely give baths. My chihuahua gets them more frequently since she is much easier to bath. My dobie, who is afraid of water, rarely gets them. I don't think short haired dogs stink as quickly as long haired dogs, and can go longer between bathings.

About every 3 months or so here. Except in the winter, I have 2 monsters that get a bath or rinse down almost daily because they feel the need to go outside and play in out cats water bowl then in the dirt. They are monsters...yet they hate bath time. lol

Nike gets a bath weekly. He goes hiking and trumps through mud puddles. Sometimes it can be everyother week, but weekly is the norm. It all depends on what the dog has been doing. I grew up in a home that did not tolerate smelly animals. To this day I keep those rules.

I had heard two different views...once a week to benefit the dog's skin and to keep coat clean and healthy. I also heard just the opposite, that washing once a week will strip the skin's oil and create dry and itchy skin. So I'm not sure what is "supposed" to be done, but I rarely give baths. My chihuahua gets them more frequently since she is much easier to bath. My dobie, who is afraid of water, rarely gets them. I don't think short haired dogs stink as quickly as long haired dogs, and can go longer between bathings.

It depends on the dog and the dog breed. A well bred lab is meant to have a good thick but not fluffy under coat and a really nice water resistant outer coat. The outer coat can easily be stripped of the water resistance by too much shampooing. Their skin is also adapted to having a lot of oil so washing the oil off can give them major skin problems.

I'm not as well versed on other breeds so I can only speak about labs.

I have 4 dogs they go to the groomers every 3 months. In the summer I try to give them a bath once every 2 weeks.

I have a soft coated wheaten terrier that gets a bath once a month. Luckily, we found a groomer who fell in love with him & wants to see him once a month. We made an agreement that if I brought him in once a month, she'd only charge me $19.99. That's a steal for a 55 lb dog ( most groomers of large dogs charge @$70) and I happily agreed! He loves to go, the groomer loves to see him, and I have a clean dog - a win, win situation!!

They get baths when they start to smell like "dog," which is usually every couple months. If they go to the beach or the park and get sandy or dirty, they get a bath. I dread bath time. My shih tzu thrashes around like you're trying to kill her because she hates it so much. I end up as wet as she does.

My Pomeranian mix gets brushed frequently because I keep his coat long and he sheds so much, and my shh tzu gets her hair trimmed when it starts to get long, but that's the extent of their grooming aroud here. (Aside from nail trimming, of course)

Not very often, maybe a few times a year or whenever she gets stinky. She's ususally very clean, but since she has a thick coat she gets geasy. She doesn't like getting baths or going to the groomers wish is a little bit of a pain. As soon as she hears me calling for her from the bath she makes a run for it!

our Tibby has yet to have a bath since he came home on the last day of September last year. he's not stinky or 'dog smell-y', even after running through the slush on his walks. we just towel dry him when he comes in.

i figure he'll get a bath one of these days soon - sometimes when he lifts his leg to pee the backsplash gets on him a bit. yuck, eh? lol.

i'm one of those people that is reluctant to bathe a dog due to the natural oils in their coats being needed to maintain a healthy coat. We had a dog through my teens and early twenties that only ever had one bath, the day he came home. never had any issues with his fur or skin, and he never smelled dirty or 'doggy'.

My 2 youngest Chihuahua boys hate baths as well, UNLESS I put them in the tub together. Then they love it. Not sure why.

I never even thought to try putting them in together. The pom is so laid back, maybe he would have a calming effect on the thrasher, lol. Next bathtime, I think I'll try it!

Back