How often are shelved replaced?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ReneeM

I was just wondering how often everyone replaces wooden shelving in their cages? I just wasn't sure how long wooden shelves are able to last. Thanks so much!

Idgie doesn't pee on her ledges nor does she chew them. Once in awhile, I may sand them a little to get any germs off the top, but I haven't replaced them in years. But if they were gross and chewed up, of course, I would get new ones.

FRP White Pebbled

I'm a newbie just hi jacking your thread, because I would like to hear more feed back on how often people change their shelves. Also want to see what people think of me adding FRP on my ledges? Much easier to clean, but I guess only time will tell if he will chew on it. My main purpose of getting FRP was for the ledges poop boarders, so the poop doesnt fall out the cage. It will be easy to sterilize and to make.
What I really needed to know is how high should i make my poop boarders? I thought 1 inch would be hi enough but quickly learned its not! lol

ps only putting the FRP on two big ledges to try it out first and hopefully it will also work as a cooling station for the chin :D

Attachments

• 10042869569949_ORIG[1].jpg
    10042869569949_ORIG[1].jpg
    10.6 KB · Views: 20
Like said above it all depends on the chin. If a chin is peeing on their shelves I clean/sand as needed and replace about every 6 months. For the chins that are little beavers and chew them to nothing in no time flat, they get new shelves every few months. For the normal, slightly chewing on shelves, and not peeing on them, they don't get replaced until they are either grimey (which isn't often since I clean them with vinegar or peroxide every time I see any grime at all on them) or very chewed up. I have a few chins that haven't needed new shelves in a few years.

I'm a newbie just hi jacking your thread, because I would like to hear more feed back on how often people change their shelves. Also want to see what people think of me adding FRP on my ledges? Much easier to clean, but I guess only time will tell if he will chew on it. My main purpose of getting FRP was for the ledges poop boarders, so the poop doesnt fall out the cage. It will be easy to sterilize and to make.
What I really needed to know is how high should i make my poop boarders? I thought 1 inch would be hi enough but quickly learned its not! lol

ps only putting the FRP on two big ledges to try it out first and hopefully it will also work as a cooling station for the chin :D
Using FRP would be a HUGE no. The last thing you'd want is for your chin to be ingesting or getting his mouth on fiberglass.

For those of you that don't know, FRP is fiber-reinforced plastic (also referred to as fiber-reinforced polymer) is a composite material made of a polymer matrix reinforced with fibers. The fibers are usually fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, while the polymer is usually an epoxy, vinylester or polyester thermosetting plastic. FRPs are commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction industries.

For those of you that don't know, FRP is fiber-reinforced plastic (also referred to as fiber-reinforced polymer) is a composite material made of a polymer matrix reinforced with fibers. The fibers are usually fiberglass, carbon, or aramid, while the polymer is usually an epoxy, vinylester or polyester thermosetting plastic. FRPs are commonly used in the aerospace, automotive, marine, and construction industries.

Thank you for explaining that. I had no clue what it was. :)

If you want all those features and something that is safe, tile the shelves.

If you want all those features and something that is safe, tile the shelves.

hahaha OK I was trying to be unique but I guess yall already got it all figured out... My wife is going to kill me, but the fiberglass is going in the trash. Anything special you use to attach the tile? :banghead: commonsense

I use liquid nail to attach the tile, then grout the cracks with kitchen grout. Tile is cool and easily cleaned.

Back