How much weight should a 1 year old be gaining??

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

missjess10475

I have a chin who just turned 1 on November 13. I weigh my babies every Tuesday. This chin weighed 578g tonight. She was 545g last Tuesday and 514g two Tuesdays ago. I have had her since the end of October. Is it normal for them to hit a growth spurt at this age? She's very active and healthy. I do not give fatty snacks. Just Tradition pellets, Oxbow timothy hay, and a mini shredded wheat a couple times a week. None of my other chins are gaining this much weight. Any thoughts to cure my curiosity?

They can hit a growth spurt after 1 it happens. If she has not been with a male I wouldn't worry. I worry more if they are dropping weight

I have a girl who turned a year in August. She's never been with a male. When I weighed her in July, she was 560g. When I weighed her last week, she'd put on about 100g. So a growth spurt is not abnormal around a year.

Edgar has gained 60g since he was shown in October and we had thought he might have stopped growing since he was just over a year at the time. He really doesn't look much bigger just fluffier and more filled out. He also still may be gaining but we just weighed him. I think some chinchillas need a little more time to mature. Don't know if there is a growth difference in girls and boys other than a possible pregnancy.

Back