How much food should I get?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MyzarandGemma

Chinchilla Enthusiasts!
So we are getting two 10 week old male chinchillas in mid-March. We have been cruising the interwebs trying to figure out the best deals.

We are pretty sure we are going to be buying Tradition Pellets from Sandi. Her price is great and Cuddlebug has assured us that Tradition is a great pellet for the boys. KMS also has a pellet, but I couldn't find anyone on here that uses it, so I figured Sandi was the better bet.

We have been looking at the different brands of hay and stumbled across KMS Hayloft. After searching around on here, everyone seems to have nothing but good things to say about her, and she is WAYYYYY cheaper for 3rd cut Timothy Hay than the Oxbow Timothy Hay we just bought from PetSmart.

My question: How much should I buy of each? KMS has 5 9, 15 and 25lb options. How long will this feed the little guys? Also, how much Tradition should I buy? I don't want it to go bad before they eat it. :)

Extra bonus question: Where can I find a bucket with a handle and an airtight seal to keep the pellets in?

I'm right here in Arizona. I can send you pellets very inexpensively. I have very good timothy hay, as well, and since I am so close it will save money on shipping.

You really shouldn't get more than about 10 lbs at a time until you are sure how much the chinchillas will eat in about 3 to 4 months.

Back