How Many Chins Do You Want?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I want...

• A million chins!! Woo, the more the merrier!!

Votes: 5 8.5%
  • If I had more resources, I'd get more

Votes: 23 39.0%
  • A couple, I'm not a zoo

Votes: 24 40.7%
  • One is NOT the lonliest number. It's perfect!!

Votes: 7 11.9%

• Total voters

caiti

I have noticed that almost everyone says they are addicted to chins and want more. Lots of people get more shortly after they've got their first chinny-butt. That's all well and good but I'm the kind of person that dotes on one animal. Sure, if I could I would want to save all the chins and animals and well...the world. But I can't and what I really want to do is obsess over one.

Aside from Cindy who seems content with her one "house beaver", I can't think of one other person who wants just one chinchilla. Where do you stand? I'm curious if I'm alone on this.

I think the key is knowing your limits. We have had chinchillas for just over a year and have three now. Edgar was an only chinchilla for 9 months while we decided our limits. Three I think is the number because I still enjoy my daily time with them and they aren't a chore. Especially since I don't think our boys will share a cage and I would rather play with them than clean lots of cages. So this is what works for me but I do think that most breeders love their chinchillas as much as I do even if they have hundreds.

I do think that single chinchillas are just as happy though because all of mine love human attention. Edgar did great the first 9 months and we only got another because we wanted one. To be honest I even think he was mad at me when he finally met Oscar because he wasn't the only center of attention any more.

ETA If I had the resources I'd have more but they'd have to be some awesome new resources.

I would like a trio of pet females. Although I am now way over that. I do remember the days when I had less then 5 chinchillas and it was great. They were fun, I could spoil every one of them, let them out for play time etc.

I love breeding, and love what I am doing but it is not the same as having just a few pets. Right now even my 3 "pets" truely are not pets in the real sense of the word. Sure they have larger cages and toys, but they do not get the one on one time a pet would have.

I am happy with three. They are my loves, but maybe in the future I might like to give one or two needy chins a home. Depending on if I had a little bit more time and that doesn't seem likely for a great while..

Right now I have a trio of females and it's a good number/set-up. The main reason I'm not sure about adding more fuzzies to the chin family has to do mostly with not wanting more than one chin cage to clean and pimp out. I have the chin mansion and I feel three is the max for that cage. Plus, my girls love each other so much...I don't wanna mess with that balance. I might add more chins in the future but right now my trio is just perfect.

I am perfectly happy with just my one little girl. If I were younger, or were planning to breed for sale, I would think about more...but I just do not have the time, or the room to give them the care they would need.

For me it depends on the animal. We have one cat. I would not want any more cats. Dogs, on the other hand, are a little different. I have two and could see myself adding another, but I don't have plans to do so.

As far as chinchillas go, I want to add another female...but I will probably wait a year or two before I start looking for her. Four will be plenty for me, and with things the way they are now, three is just fine!

Good point there. I would love to have a cat, but do not think I would bring one in untill after Trixie passes on..which will be a few more years I guess. I think Trix is spoiled rotton being the only chin..and only pet. So I will keep it that way for now.

I only have one chin, and am totally happy with just one for myself. If things had been different, and Tink was a more social chin, I would have liked her to have a buddy for companionship when I'm not around. But Tink would not get along with any other chins, and I am perfectly happy to be able to just spoil her 110%

i have 9 and love them all but i would like to only have 2 FN units so 4 or if there is a pair 5 at the very most. i dont get to spend as much time with them although they certainly do not lack for attention. i give up my personal time to spend time and take care of them. i would have to say that as they cross over, i would not add more. Ideally I would love to have just 2! But since my baby boys are all pretty young, that wont be for a long while! ;)

I guess I'd be in the "if I had more resources, I'd want more" category. Ideally, I would love one more chin: a violet to pair with my mosaic. But I have not had any luck pairing chins so far. And I really don't want any more cages, two FN142s is enough to clean and have in our living room. But, if I had more resources and the chins had their own room, I would reconsider. Right now I am content with my trio. They are doted on and spoiled, although they do not get as much out of cage time as they did when I had just one or even two.

I'm enjoying caring for Lady just as much as I enjoyed having both my girls. For me I don't think it's about quantity, but rather enjoying each animal for who they are. Each personality is different and I've had different relationships/ interactions with each of my pets. I don't have any desire to replace Lily, she was a unique and special animal in my life. I don't have the mindset that since I lost one I have to fill the space by getting another. If I get another chin in the future it will be because I want that animal for who they are, and the companionship they can bring to my life.

What I'm really hoping for though is for Paul and I to find jobs in the same area when we're done with grad school. Then I'll be able to see Paul and enjoy Pythagoras every day. Again it's about the individual relationship with each animal not the quantity of animals. I love Lady to death, but there are certain things about my bond with Pythagoras that Lady and I will never have.

I don't know how many I want. (That option was not available.)

I may want more in the future, depends on a lot of factors. Right now I'm happy with 2.

15 + babies/growers...I've got a few extras at the moment. :D I can manage more, but 15 lets me spend more time with each and still have some empty cages for growers.

Well they say it takes about 150-200 to make a decent coat......:CSarcasm:

:impatient: (sorry, I'll smack myself now for saying that.)

Personally, I would love a million of them, ONLY IF there were a million of me :D! I fell in love with these little guys back in 2004 when I got my daughter our very first chin. Realistically though, I probably would like to get another standard grey chin again. I really miss having one and the last 2 standards that I had, had the best personalities. I know there's no guarantees about personalities but my heart wants one so bad :(.

I don't know how many I want. (That option was not available.)

Yea there are a couple major flaws in my poll, but hey, it's my first one! And I don't know if I can change it at this point.

I didn't know there actually are a few of you who are perfectly happy obsessing over their one chin!

I've considered getting a third, but am waiting. Honestly, when we are sttled in about 10 years, I want to start a small chinnie rescue limited to about 10chins at a time. But that's when we have the space, resources and are more educated on the health issues of these little guys so that's way in the future.

I put down If I had more resources I'd get more, mostly because I would like to do a rescue when I'm older and have more time, more room and, well, more resources. The babies that Penelope just had are a great experience but it's not something I would want to do again, I got lucky and nothing bad happened, and I'm hoping that everything will continue to do good.

Back