How many chinnys does an fn142 work for?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im taking in two extra chinnys this weekend and im gonna attempt a trio
Would an fn 142 be sufficient for three chinnys?
If not i found a HUGE bird cage that i could get but it to me just seems too big being that the height is over 80 inches and its over 30 inches wide

You will need to quarantine them in a completely different cage in a completely different room away from your other chin first.

AFTER their quarantine, and if you manage to get all three chins bonded, the 142 is big enough for 3 chins. However, they may never get along and you may need to keep them in different cages.

I know about the quarantine the chins are coming in a cage which will be decent for a quarantine cage and than ill try the intro
Im aware they may not all get along but im staying hopeful
Ill be buying the 142 in two or three weeks as long as its big enough

I'm going to go out on a limb here and suggest taking a step back and just loving the one you have for a while. You've admitted to traumatizing the one you have recently, and IMO, it is a bit soon to think about stressing him out more by adding chins.
You still have a LOT of newbie questions. I just really think it'd be best for you to wait.

I personally wouldn't attempt a male trio. It is hard enough to get a pair to bond and even that is shaky. I have heard people have more success with female groups larger that pairs because in the wild there is normally one male to many females. A group (even a pair) of males is not very natural.

Sadly I have to repeat .............

http://www.chins-n-hedgies.com/forums/showpost.php?p=150515&postcount=7

I'm going to be blunt ........... you're not ready to take on the responsibility for another chinchilla.

Get to know this one first, keep him responsibly, learn about chinchilla health, behaviour & welfare for at least 2 years & then, maybe, consider whether another chinchilla is practical.

Why not stick to one chin & learn all about the species first before diving in to take on more? Can you guarantee not to get drunk again ............. I suspect not.

Im only taking these chinchillas in because there in a cage so small that there house and food takes up 70% of the cage there are no ledges or anything
And seriously my chinchilla trusts me just fine nothing bad ever came of me doing anything besides i came home and held my pet one night... OMG I HELD IT THE WORLD IS GONNA END... Whether or not i can do a trio im taking these little guys in for there own good
If need be they will be in separate cages which im fine with... Really im just done with people constantly feeling the need to jump on the attack because something that happened once and hasnt happened since and not to mention nothing bad happened that one time
Seriously it was dropped for a reason
Yea i messed up but who hasnt? Did i hurt him? NO. Is he traumatized? NO. He loves me he runs right out to me if i go near his cage he runs right up my arm to sit on my shoulder

And just incase noone got this fact im not taking these two in because "Oh there so cute i just want a million of them." Im taking them in because they need a good home and i can offer them the things they need

im not "attacking" you by any means... but i recall you wanting to find cheaper cages, because you just cant afford to spend more than 200 dollars on one. if you dont have the money for a cage, how do you have the money to take in 2 more??? what if, god forbid, one of these rescues has something you need to take them to the vet for... what it BOTH had something wrong? not to mention you are literally tripling the amount of supplies and time its going to take to properly care for them.
i would leave the rescuing to the rescues.
in all reality this is just my two cents.. and in the long run, you are going to do what you want to do. why not let someone who has the time, means, and ability to properly care for these two?

I have a trio in an FN142 and they have plenty of room.

I have the money to get the supplies and vet visits
I have the money to buy a few cages but i just dont want to
Right now im attempting to save money i have plenty put away but im trying to avoiding dipping into that when i dont have to (as in buying a cage from a cheaper site and maybe getting wheels used and that sort of stuff)
I have nothing but time right now most likely more than most people and these chins arent in horrible horrible conditions there cage is just terrible and they need more attention i can offer them plenty of attention and a larger cage
I feel like this is something i can do to better an animals quality of life and im going to do my best to help out however i can

I feel like everyone is missing the simple point of im doing this to help the animals
I know alot more than the people who have these two now do
I do have a ton of "newbie" questions but i do also now a decent bit
Basically i see it as this. I can do alot more for them than the current owners can
So thats what im going to do I feel very attacked right now
I know you are all thinking i know nothing and im not going to do anything for them but that really isnt the case

Lee, you're missing the point of members expressing concern for the chinchilla(s) in your care.

You're asking really basic questions, admitting that:
P.S. I ask a ton of questions i know sorry for that im a new owner ever little thing scares me so much

Which is great - no-one here minds anyone asking questions & learning (after all, that's what the forum's here for) - BUT taking on more chinchillas when you're not comfortable with the basics of keeping chinchillas is not sensible or responsible. What happens when you can't cope?

You also admitted in another thread recently that you are not spending enough time with your current chinchilla & are moving .......... you're not being consistent.

I made a sensible suggestion above & yet you're throwing your toys out of the pram, proving you are not being rational.
Get to know this one first, keep him responsibly, learn about chinchilla health, behaviour & welfare for at least 2 years & then, maybe, consider whether another chinchilla is practical.

Last edited:
I have the money to get the supplies and vet visits
I have the money to buy a few cages but i just dont want to
Right now im attempting to save money i have plenty put away but im trying to avoiding dipping into that when i dont have to (as in buying a cage from a cheaper site and maybe getting wheels used and that sort of stuff)
I have nothing but time right now most likely more than most people and these chins arent in horrible horrible conditions there cage is just terrible and they need more attention i can offer them plenty of attention and a larger cage
I feel like this is something i can do to better an animals quality of life and im going to do my best to help out however i can

ok. its obvious you are going to do what you want to do. it is really nice to want to help animals, but it would be wise to listen to the advice of expierenced members... maybe even mentor under someone, if they will allow it. get to know chins in and out before you go making any more long term commitments.

Im listening i really am.
I understand what everyone is saying but i know i do have the means time and ability to care for them.
I can bring them to the vet if need be. I know a decent bit about chinchillas and im learning more daily.
I have alot of time to care for them which noone there with now does
Im not going to leave them where they are
Its that simple..
Thank you to those who actually addressed my question

like i said. do what you are going to do... but dont expect everyone to be pleased with your decision.
the point people are trying to make.. is that rescuing chinchillas is not a learning experience. its something that requires prior experience AND prior knowledge. please keep this in mind.

Im only taking these chinchillas in because there in a cage so small that there house and food takes up 70% of the cage there are no ledges or anything

Chinchillas do not have to live in large cages and have ledges and toys to survive. Many of the chins we possess have come from animals that live in runs that are very small, and have no toys or ledges. Are the animals abused or not being taken care of? If so, I understand your concern for wanting to help them, but just because their cage may not be as large as a FN doesnt mean they're given bad care.

I also have to agree with many here. You've posted 100 different threads with questions you have in a very short period of time. Why don't you try to put all of your questions into one thread, take the time to improve the life of the animal you own now, and then later on decide on whether or not it is best to bring another animal into your life.

Now - onto this thread's question. I have a 142 and I have it split up into two sections. I have 4 chins in one section, and 2 in another.

I am aware...
But I think its being viewed as like there gonna die if there not rescued.
They are fine as far as health goes the owner just doesnt have time for them and doesnt have a proper set up cage wise
The chinchillas themselves are healthy there situation is just less than great and i am going to give them a better one.

Are you sure the chins are males?

I know how you feel about wanting to help all of the chins that you see need help. I stupidly browse craigs list constantly looking for mis cared for chins. The second chin I took in from craigs list looked like a scrawny greasy rat. I took him in, renamed him Kuzu and immediately brought him to the vet after I got him under my care. I even paid $100 to get him out of the situation he was in. The vet gave him a clean bill of health and off I went with my new chin. A couple months down the road he was still fur chewing off and on and I noticed he was breathing funny. He always did breathe harder than my other chins but I didn't worry about it until I noticed he had dropped about 100g in 2 months. I brought him to a different vet and turns out he had a heart murmur, heart disease, fluid in his lungs and other problems that we couldn't diagnose until we got the fluid out of his lungs. I went in ever other day to get him treated for it and he passed away after a week of treatment. His necropsy showed he had a large tumor on his lung and died from it. I spent $100 on the chin and his crappy cage, $30 for the initial vet check, $45 for the medications, random other vet fees, and $150 for the necropsy.

I can tell you from first hand experience, I was NOT ready for all of that. I handled it financially fine but emotionally I was not prepared at all. Now when I browse craigs list I offer them advise and fostering with me a last resort. I often refer them to chin rescues and these forums in hopes of helping.

I have been a chin owner for 5+ years and I jumped into rescuing just recently and still don't feel 100% confident in doing it. Luckily the rescues I took in were a pair of girls and not a mis-sexed male female pair.

I wish you good luck and I hope you take the advise on this forum seriously. As sad as it may sound, we are here for the animals, not you. If you honestly are doing for the animals best interest you will listen to the advise here.

Last edited:
Thank you...
That advice is actually helpful its almost kind
I just hate feeling attacked...
And i am having picture of there genitals sent to me later so i can make sure there both males because it is really easy to mistake if you dont know

Back