How long will food stay fresh?

Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brstin2flames

I only own 1 chinchilla and looking to buy oxbow food online. I see a 10lb bag and I'm wondering if I buy this will it stay fresh for a long as it will take me to go through it?

Depending on the mill date of your food, it should be used within 6 months. I go through 100 pounds a month with my chins so I can't tell you if you would use it before that time.

I also have a single chin and buy the 10lb bags of Oxbow. I've only had him since October, transferred him to the Oxbow in November, and I JUST had to buy a new bag. So it took him about 4 months to go through one bag. If 6 months is the longest it'll stay fresh as the above poster indicated, you should be all right (provided your chin eats at roughly the same rate as mine).

It helps to dump the food out of the bags and in to a plastic container that will seal properly. Sometimes it's even a good idea to have 2 plastic containers. One will hold majority of the food and the other to hold maybe a week's worth. That way you don't open the main container as often and less fresh air gets in. The more air that it's exposed to the faster nutrients will break down.

6 months from the mill date which should be stated on the bag. When I go pick up food I check the mill date on the bag and take the one with the newest mill date.

To know how long 10 pounds last your single chin write down what day the bag was opened.:)

Back