how long can a chin go without a dustbath (I ran out of dust)

• Thread starter DaphnesandFreddysmom
  • Start date
Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum

Help Support Chinchilla & Hedgehog Pet Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

DaphnesandFreddysmom

I was just curious as they all had a bath last week but our dust got peed in (we won't name any names...Freddy) so they didn't get their bath yet this week. We are getting dust saturday will they be ok until than or should I get some kaytee dust or something cheap from a store to tide them over?

I give them a bath on mondays (so it's been since last monday since they've had a dust bath). Their coats look ok though, still clean and soft.

Last edited:
Ever take a look at some of the chins for sale? If going without dust would kill them, those chins would be dead. :)

I agree with Cathy, he'll be fine until you get some more.

ok good. I just wanted to be sure. They get pysched up enough i'm afraid to see them extra happy for new dust!

dust is MOSTLY for looks...he'll be fine...it's kinda of like not washing your hair...you might not be as pretty but you'll be fine

see I was always confused over the purpose of dust so this is good I asked. I am crazy about keeping them dusted atleast once a week, sometimes twice.

I twice had to stop dusting 2 chins because of health problems. Once for bumblefoot (that started bleeding a lot) and another time because of a pretty big open sore. It doesn't kill thme, they just basically start rolling in any type of dust they find cause they crave a bath :rofl2:

They are fine without dust baths :) Some breeders do not dust their breeders at all, or very infrequently. They'll live without one :)

Because my allergies and asthma, mine do not get baths as often as they should. Hasn't killed one yet..

Back